Whaler RAU IX 1 : 45 - Graupner

Hello
Small question in the big pleasure round.

I thought about making rings at the base of the fans. I have enough leftovers.
What do you think about it, with or without?

And can someone tell me whether they can simply be glued to the deck?

20231206_122712.jpg

I thought about making rings at the base of the fans. I have enough leftovers.
What do you think about it, with or without?

And can someone tell me whether they can simply be glued to the deck?
I like the idea of rings, also you can imitate the bolts holding those rings, But...they should be a bit wider to the scale. As for the gluing to the deck, you might reinforce it with a dowel. Those vents are pretty tall and might be accidentally knocked.
Another suggestion, if I may so, is to open those vents. The scale permits us to show them open. ;) But this is just my thoughts, you are the captain!

A dowel inside the cowel vent tube along with the ring is definitely the way to go. By doing this you can drill the hole in the deck to match the dowel size and the thickness of the vent tube material plus the ring will hide any rough cuts that the drill left, and as Jim said the structure will be reinforced.

Jim

Small upgrade

I drilled through the wood under the holes in the portholes with a 1mm drill and got 1mm brass nails with a round head. I shortened these and glued them into the holes on the portholes as rivets.
Well, at least in 4 of 28 portholes with 6 holes each.
What kind of work. But no matter what courage, that courage.
I'll submit pictures as soon as I'm done with them

Hello
Here are the first pictures of the rivets on the portholes.
Phew, what a job.
Shorten and glue in almost 150 small nails.

The notch between the upper and lower bridges is still being worked on.

20240118_174752.jpg

20240118_173232.jpg

20240118_173225.jpg

Hey women and men. I have model building withdrawal symptoms. I haven't been able to do any crafting for several days. I hope I have time again this weekend, otherwise I'll have to go to a psychologist.

Very familiar symptoms, Wolle. Consider fresh-air walks and reading some naval books ;) Glass of wine and fishing...

I did it. I tinkered for another hour and lo and behold, I feel much better.

I finished painting the chimney today and started on the railing of the jetty.

I always have problems with the railing.
The bridge supports had a 1 mm shaft to insert at the bottom. So I drilled 1 mm holes and glued the supports in. Then I wanted to do the railing and since it goes around the curve, everything was under tension and bang, three supports broke off. Since I only have a certain number of supports, I broke off the others and am now attaching them, step by step, together with the railing. I carve the supports again at the bottom so that they are all the same height again. So far everything is working.

20240210_181617.jpg

20240209_173240.jpg

20240210_182714.jpg

Hello
The railing at the footbridge that leads to the Hapune is also finished. I adjusted the railing supports again at the bottom and glued them in place.
Now add a little color and you're done.

20240214_122905.jpg

Back