Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

Geez, same old story. Big storm moving up into the New England states.

Note the rain amount since 5:30 AM.

B9A36837-1981-422E-A506-B0BDC2892124.jpeg

What’s a guy going to do on a day like this? Can’t work outside, inside chores all done!

Yup, grab a cup of coffee (the real hi-test stuff) and head upstairs to the shipyard. There are many little bitty pieces that need to be cleaned up before becoming permanent parts on the hull. A two to three hour session of removing Laser char and viola some bits ready to go when I get to that part in the build.

A5CEF5C1-DE9B-4C86-897C-AC449F5996C5.jpeg

Jan

View attachment 388707

What’s a guy going to do on a day like this? Can’t work outside, inside chores all done!

Yup, grab a cup of coffee (the real hi-test stuff) and head upstairs to the shipyard. There are many little bitty pieces that need to be cleaned up before becoming permanent parts on the hull. A two to three hour session of removing Laser char and viola some bits ready to go when I get to that part in the build.

View attachment 388708

Jan
I’ll trade as it’s 96 degrees with a heat index of 106. No cycling for me this week. Shipyard it is.

I’ll trade as it’s 96 degrees with a heat index of 106. No cycling for me this week. Shipyard it is.
Retreat to shipyard what a excellent choice.
I’m going to have waste quite a bit of water from the pool to get the skimmers working properly. Final rain amount is around 3.5 inches.
I’m contemplating a scratch build for the interior side walls of the main deck. Not very happy with the way the first effort turned out. The fit between the bulkheads does not look right :rolleyes:. Dry fitting the Gunwale for that area pointed out several problems. So a major “Re-Do”

Jan

View attachment 388707

View attachment 388708

Jan
Good morning Jan. You guys get some serious weather up there. Cape Town is have some beautiful winters days this past week I even manage to take my staff for a kayak. Best place the shipyard- I think only us modeller like stormy rainy weather ROTF . Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. You guys get some serious weather up there. Cape Town is have some beautiful winters days this past week I even manage to take my staff for a kayak. Best place the shipyard- I think only us modeller like stormy rainy weather ROTF . Cheers Grant
Yup, we always seem to be on the tail end of storms from the West coast or from the Gulf coast. I’ve got the equation worked out S+C=SYT (Storm + Coffee = Shipyard time). Hmm, never did master Algebra.

BTW, those are great pictures of your kayak outing.

Jan

The start of the Re-Do:

After fiddling, diddling, gluing, ungluing, re-gluing, etc. I didn’t like the looks of any of my results, So…

This…..

2772E637-1540-4D78-9F9B-5E75B825AF15.jpeg

Was adjusted back to the basics …

2E7EA0B1-3661-4826-A5BD-CFD1DCB153E7.jpeg

And I started this build out …

45352849-A194-419F-920C-45D85B8A6ACB.jpeg

And todays progress …

968AC106-D1C8-4F87-9CFE-D8E21B6A1E94.jpeg

and just for something different I also added two planks to this little ship.

0501C755-6375-4C99-9F46-F0BCD53FB1B2.jpeg

(@Heinrich, what do you think?)

Rain day forecast for tomorrow, good excuse to be in the Pathfinder shipyard. I’m positive that I can find something that needs to be sanded, fit, glued or just DONE OVER.:D:D:D

Jan

Dear Jan. I am very happy to see that the two planks have been added to the WB and she is looking good! Instead of fiddling, gluing, ungluing and the like, why don't you do a test fit of the deck on the WB in the ideal building conditions that are prevailing at the moment?

Fiddling, diddling, gluing, re-gluing seems to be the nature of these beasts.
Enjoy your rainy day in the shipyard tomorrow. I’ll enjoy my 106 heat index in mine. :(
Ugh, that heat index doesn't float my boat (Is that a PUN??). WE've had a few of the almost and slightly over 100 indexes. Not my favorite summer temperatures.

Dear Jan. I am very happy to see that the two planks have been added to the WB and she is looking good! Instead of fiddling, gluing, ungluing and the like, why don't you do a test fit of the deck on the WB in the ideal building conditions that are prevailing at the moment?
Hi Heinrich, I like your thinking. I have a several hour job working on that part of the SB and can use the glue setting time to putz on the WB. Oh boy, (RAIN + COFFEE = SYT). I'm starting to like Algebra. :( Naw didn't like it 66 years ago :( wasn't my favorite math course.

Jan

The start of the Re-Do:

After fiddling, diddling, gluing, ungluing, re-gluing, etc. I didn’t like the looks of any of my results, So…

This…..

View attachment 389221

Was adjusted back to the basics …

View attachment 389222

And I started this build out …

View attachment 389223

And todays progress …

View attachment 389224

and just for something different I also added two planks to this little ship.

View attachment 389225

(@Heinrich, what do you think?)

Rain day forecast for tomorrow, good excuse to be in the Pathfinder shipyard. I’m positive that I can find something that needs to be sanded, fit, glued or just DONE OVER.:D:D:D

Jan
Good morning Jan. Good to see the WB getting a little time again. Im pretty sure she is getting grumpy seeing all the attention the galleon is receiving. Cheers Grant

It’s raining again, still?

A couple of hours spent in the shipyard filing, fitting, sanding, filing the first opening for the main deck gunport frames.

272BB618-5040-436D-A267-FBADFFDF3E08.jpeg

I was extremely careful with this bit, since the wall planking is DIY. But I think my “Do-Over” is going to work.

Only three more openings to go. One more on the Starboard side an two on the Port.

Jan

Back