Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

Yup, it's the little fiddly work that takes time. I would suggest that you dry fit the dummy cannons into the lower gun ports. The holes on the back wall of those ports need to be reamed out to get a good fit. I brush painted the interiors with several coats of MinWax Dark Oak. Depending on the final hull color I might adjust the interior color to match.

Your ports look good and to answer Frank there'll be a lot of cutting and fitting in those areas when the planking starts. I found that the first WALE (the plank that is tripled) sets the stage for the rest of the planking.

Jan

Last edited:
@Frank48, you are correct about the alignment.

I meant to add these photos of the plans to my response above.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 12.52.55 PM.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 1.01.39 PM.jpeg

The first plan shows the various gun port housing assemblies. The second plan shows the locations of those assemblies. There are some very slight variations in the construction of those housings and the openings in the hull need to be fiddled with to compensate.

Jan

Last edited:
@Frank48, you are correct about he alignment.

I meant to add these photos of the plans to my response above.

View attachment 387437
View attachment 387438

The first plan shows the various gun port housing assemblies. The second plan shows the locations of those assemblies. There are some very slight variations in the construction of those housings and the openings in the hull need to be fiddled with to compensate.

Jan
I took the liberty only to inform you.Frank

Good morning Pilot, sorry, if you stick to the Kit ( plans) as it is drawn but ....., the gunboats vanna executed differently. Frank

View attachment 387506

View attachment 387507
Frank,
Thank you for your insight. I see your point. I think this kit is more a rendition of what the ship was in real life. To change the model ship in the way that you suggest would be a lot of work. The kit framing really dictates how everything lines up and everything is laser pre-cut. I am new to the group and you seem to be wealth of knowledge and will always welcome your input. Have a great day!

Before you fix the parts of the guns together, I would sand the surface of the wooden parts slightly, so you get a smoother surface
In moment, also by the view of these closeups, the surface is sometimes relatively rough.

At this time definitely the sills of the gunports were following the deck level - the decks of these ships had such a strong inclination, that they would have get bigger problems with handling of the guns with different heights on the left compared to the right side of the port

Take a look at, very extrem, the Vasa

vasa14.jpg

It actually is. Made fast work if the wheels. Well spent 50 bucks.
Funny, I used a simpler or maybe more complicated method? I inserted a machine screw into the wheel, tightened that with a small nut, then chucked the assembly in my drill press and buffed it with 220 and 320 grit sandpaper. It took longer to prepare them than to finish them.

Jan

Last edited:
Before you fix the parts of the guns together, I would sand the surface of the wooden parts slightly, so you get a smoother surface
In moment, also by the view of these closeups, the surface is sometimes relatively rough.

At this time definitely the sills of the gunports were following the deck level - the decks of these ships had such a strong inclination, that they would have get bigger problems with handling of the guns with different heights on the left compared to the right side of the port

View attachment 387573

View attachment 387573

Uwek,
That was my thought after studying the plans more. They seem to follow the deck for sure. As far as the cannon frames/cradles (Again probably a nautical term for them) go, they are just rough sanded for now. Once I finish assembling them all it’s off to the finishing shop where they will get the proper treatment.Thanks for the information and the reference of the Vasa it shows perfectly what I was trying to convey in my post.
I have always been fascinated by ships of this era. Their look has a mystique about them. For the time being all I have time to do build OOB. When I retire, I hope to be more in the actual nautical terms and history behind them. This, of course takes lots of time and re-search and I barely have time to build as it is.
Chris

Uwek,
That was my thought after studying the plans more. They seem to follow the deck for sure. As far as the cannon frames/cradles (Again probably a nautical term for them) go, they are just rough sanded for now. Once I finish assembling them all it’s off to the finishing shop where they will get the proper treatment.Thanks for the information and the reference of the Vasa it shows perfectly what I was trying to convey in my post.
I have always been fascinated by ships of this era. Their look has a mystique about them. For the time being all I have time to do build OOB. When I retire, I hope to be more in the actual nautical terms and history behind them. This, of course takes lots of time and re-search and I barely have time to build as it is.
Chris
The special think with the Vasa is the fact, that the decks have the same alignement like the outer wales.
On other ships the wales have a different curvature - but the sills of the ports are following the deck curvatures

The special think with the Vasa is the fact, that the decks have the same alignement like the outer wales.
On other ships the wales have a different curvature - but the sills of the ports are following the deck curvatures
It is very interesting to learn how those ships evolved over the centuries.

Jan

Back