Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

The inner planking you have done on the bulwarks will stand you in good stead when it comes to the WB's build later on. There is plenty of inner planking that needs to be completed.

It’s raining again, still?

A couple of hours spent in the shipyard filing, fitting, sanding, filing the first opening for the main deck gunport frames.

View attachment 389629

I was extremely careful with this bit, since the wall planking is DIY. But I think my “Do-Over” is going to work.

Only three more openings to go. One more on the Starboard side an two on the Port.

Jan
Good morning Jan. Yep I also think the redo is going to work. Cheers Grant

As I finish up the hull fairing, I wondered about the cannon port assemblies. Part 41 is intended as a back stop for one cannon port, but there are several other cannon ports with no backstop at all. What is supposed to stop the assembly from falling inside during assembly until it is glued in place? Or do I just need to be very careful at all times?! I will leave them out until the last minute, but I still see the chance for a real issue if I push one in too far! Any thoughts?

As I finish up the hull fairing, I wondered about the cannon port assemblies. Part 41 is intended as a back stop for one cannon port, but there are several other cannon ports with no backstop at all. What is supposed to stop the assembly from falling inside during assembly until it is glued in place? Or do I just need to be very careful at all times?! I will leave them out until the last minute, but I still see the chance for a real issue if I push one in too far! Any thoughts?
I am leaving the cannon port assemblies out until I finish sanding, filling and fixing the voids in the hull planking . I build all the assemblies and dry fitted them to their various locations on the hull before I started any planking. I numbered them as Port or Starboard and noted the numbers on the build plans. Each assembly seems to be unique to it's location, so I think they should be the last thing placed after the hull is finished and ready to be painted.

Jan

Thanks for the reply. As I move on to the stern planking, I see that I have 3 sets of 21L, 20L, 20R and 20R. Is the stern wale intended to be 3 layers thick, despite the instructions (and video) only showing 2 layers (p. 109)? I also have parts A22-2R and A22-2R with no purpose. Did you use them? Sorry to bother you, but I know that you are past this point so I wanted your opinion. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks for the reply. As I move on to the stern planking, I see that I have 3 sets of 21L, 20L, 20R and 20R. Is the stern wale intended to be 3 layers thick, despite the instructions (and video) only showing 2 layers (p. 109)? I also have parts A22-2R and A22-2R with no purpose. Did you use them? Sorry to bother you, but I know that you are past this point so I wanted your opinion. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sorry to answer so late. I've been watching or maybe I should say binging on Little League World Series games. It's four games per day double elimination until the final game on Sunday. So no shipyard work has been going on :D

The stern wale is two layers thick, ie. piece 21L doubled, 20L doubled, 21R doubled, 20R doubled (My Plan 108). A22R and A22L go over the top of the Gunport openings. (MyPlan 109). Those plans are in the series 106-142 sent out before the last set of plans. I don't have any placement info for A22-2R and A22-2L. I'll have to dig through my Flats tomorrow to see if they are my junk pile. I hope this helps.

Parts 20 - 21 double up for the Wale.

fullsizeoutput_21e.jpeg

Parts 22L-22R placement

fullsizeoutput_21d.jpeg

Jan

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why the extra parts are included, but I'll just go ahead and stick to the instructions then. I just didn't want to miss anything. Enjoy watching the games!

Wow, a nice surprise when I got home today after a six hour roundtrip North in heavy rain. The full sized construction plans of the SB were delivered to my mailbox. My thanks to Denis for his prompt response.

Jan
The full size plans are beautiful

I believe firmly that you cannot actually build a ship accurately without a full set of full-sized plans. That just makes things so much clearer and easier.
Good morning Jan and Heinrich. This is a true story. I remember on my Victory the mast plans were not a 1:1 and the number of times I got the math wrong and had to redo was silly. Cheers Grant

Back