VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Hi Frank, I can defiantly see the utility if not the necessity of these holes. They would require some form of hem or stitching around the circumference which I would not attempt to do. The crossing pattern of sail reinforcement at the bowline to the corners is something I've not seen before. Is this part of normal early 17th century design?
Hi Daniele, I just gave you some news, nothing more, I wouldn't touch anything

Happy New Year everyone!
I do not have a lot of progress to show however I am still moving forward. For now, I'm concentrating on canon and canon hatch covers. I've completed the starboard side and building rope hanks as well. I show a closeup of the beakhead with some rope hanks installed.

IMG_2312.jpgIMG_2313.jpg

Here is the jig I made for forming the rope hanks.

IMG_2314.jpg
Hope you enjoy the photos and thanks for checking in.

Goodmorning everyone, I don't have a Vasa update this post but felt compelled share my condition as I have tested positive for Covid (last Thursday evening). I've quarantined myself to the guest room and been taking lots of Tylenol. At this point I don't believe I will have to endure the worst Covid has to offer but what I am experiencing is something I hope eases up soon. Till next time, happy modeling.

Get well soon, Daniel!!
I am currently suffering from Covid 2.0 which feels like a head cold with the typical weakness you get. Having barely survived Covid 1.0, I can take this with no problem. I guess we're having fun being miserable together. :rolleyes: It's hard generating the energy to work on the model while I'm home, but I'm getting some cannon carriage work done.

Goodmorning everyone, I don't have a Vasa update this post but felt compelled share my condition as I have tested positive for Covid (last Thursday evening). I've quarantined myself to the guest room and been taking lots of Tylenol. At this point I don't believe I will have to endure the worst Covid has to offer but what I am experiencing is something I hope eases up soon. Till next time, happy modeling.
Oh my word, my friend - having just gone through this with Anna, I can sympathize. You are in our prayers and thoughts - drink plenty of liquids (preferably hot water) and keep yourself warm!

Happy New Year everyone!
I do not have a lot of progress to show however I am still moving forward. For now, I'm concentrating on canon and canon hatch covers. I've completed the starboard side and building rope hanks as well. I show a closeup of the beakhead with some rope hanks installed.

View attachment 348951View attachment 348952

Here is the jig I made for forming the rope hanks.

View attachment 348953
Hope you enjoy the photos and thanks for checking in.
Good afternoon Daniel. Happy new year!! Wow! You are owning this. I said it before however gonna repeat - your build style, the colours, stain choices, ropes (everything) all work together brilliantly. Freaking good. Cheers Grant

IMG_2294.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg
I don't know how I missed such a beatiful Vasa build. Fantastic work on rigging. Those highly ornamented ships like Vasa/Soleil Royal are always a gem when nicely finished

I am currently suffering from Covid 2.0 which feels like a head cold with the typical weakness you get. Having barely survived Covid 1.0, I can take this with no problem. I guess we're having fun being miserable together. :rolleyes: It's hard generating the energy to work on the model while I'm home, but I'm getting some cannon carriage work done.
Hello Kurt, prayers for your recovery. I know there are a lot of second timers with this crud, my wife just tested herself today and it showed positive, what a way to begin the new year.

That's too bad Daniel, I hope you recover very soon (and your wife too!) Thumbsup

Oh my word, my friend - having just gone through this with Anna, I can sympathize. You are in our prayers and thoughts - drink plenty of liquids (preferably hot water) and keep yourself warm!
Thank you, Heinrich, your prayers are so appreciated.

Last edited:
Good afternoon Daniel. Happy new year!! Wow! You are owning this. I said it before however gonna repeat - your build style, the colours, stain choices, ropes (everything) all work together brilliantly. Freaking good. Cheers Grant
Thank you, Grant. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Back