VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good afternoon, all. I have another short update to post. I finished install of the port side canons and hatch covers. This has become one of those situations where I regret not having set the faux canons further inward, (lesson learned) which would have given them a more realistic appearance. Actually, a ship like this should have full canons with carriages sans the rigging.

View attachment 352582

I built out the ships lantern, Billings furnished the turned brass top, bottom. and finial which I liked. I had to cut the windows from a sheet of plastic, and I made the mullions out of twisted wire then painted with my favorite antique Old Gold. I still need to add a couple supports.

View attachment 352586View attachment 352588

Well, I'm really getting close to finishing. Basically, the rope hanks and flags are all thats left so until next update, thanks for checking in and happy modeling.
Good morning Daniel. Personally I don’t feel the cannon placement detracts from your Vasa and those lanterns are brilliant. It’s a personal choice but I would have like my Victory cannons to protrude a tiny bit more. You must also be getting close to the finishing line now. Stunning model. Cheers Grant

Dear Daniel. There is absolutely nothing to regret about the cannons - they look superb and their alignment and curvature they follow along the hull lines are exemplary. I agree with @dockattner Paul - the lantern is a peach! Well done, my friend!

Wonderful Daniel. I especially like the lantern!
Thanks Paul, funny thing about the lantern. Through almost the whole build I thought the bottom brass turned piece must be the ships bell since it looked just like one. I actually spent time trying to find where it might go but there were "no" references anywhere about a ships bell on the Vasa. A few days ago when it came time to build the lantern It finally dawned on me it was part of the lantern! Thats only about the thousandth time Billings has stumped me on this journey :p

Good morning Daniel. Personally I don’t feel the cannon placement detracts from your Vasa and those lanterns are brilliant. It’s a personal choice but I would have like my Victory cannons to protrude a tiny bit more. You must also be getting close to the finishing line now. Stunning model. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant.

Dear Daniel. There is absolutely nothing to regret about the cannons - they look superb and their alignment and curvature they follow along the hull lines are exemplary. I agree with @dockattner Paul - the lantern is a peach! Well done, my friend!
Thank you, Heinrich. You can see in my reply to Paul that the lantern has a back story.

Good afternoon, all. I have another short update to post. I finished install of the port side canons and hatch covers. This has become one of those situations where I regret not having set the faux canons further inward, (lesson learned) which would have given them a more realistic appearance. Actually, a ship like this should have full canons with carriages sans the rigging.

View attachment 352582

I built out the ships lantern, Billings furnished the turned brass top, bottom. and finial which I liked. I had to cut the windows from a sheet of plastic, and I made the mullions out of twisted wire then painted with my favorite antique Old Gold. I still need to add a couple supports.

Well, I'm really getting close to finishing. Basically, the rope hanks and flags are all thats left so until next update, thanks for checking in and happy modeling.
Canons look great to me, protruding just about right, IMHO.
Lantern also looks stunning, only missing an actual lamp, to enhance the beauty of your build.

View attachment 352582

Beautiful work Daniel!
I have the same cannons on the NL. However they give you a plastic frame to glue on the hull, then you drill a hole for the cannon and paint black inside the frame! As you know I can’t do that, and therefore I will have to cut out all of the openings and make a box with the appropriate depth. I think what you have looks very good.
Also beautiful job on the lantern.
Any ideas what your next project will be? ;)

Good morning to all. It is with great pleasure that I am offering up my finished Swedish Vasa for your review. I decided once again to take over our breakfast area as a stage for most of the photos. The time to completion was 1 year, 9 months. and 10 days. Naturally actual build time was significantly less than that. In reality if it were not for all the input from all of you, this endeavor might well have never ended. I consider all of you part of my SOS family who have played an integral part in the construction of this ship. I took all these photos with my Iphone 8 and did a little editing within the phone itself. So here we go. In this first set I basically tried to capture rear, side, then front overall shots.

IMG_2331.jpgIMG_2334.jpgIMG_2335.jpgIMG_2336.jpg

Next up will be a series of closer in shots to look at some of the details.

IMG_2337.jpgIMG_2338.jpgIMG_2339.jpgIMG_2340.jpgIMG_2344.jpgIMG_2348.jpgIMG_2349.jpgIMG_2351.jpg

These last photos are the Vasa's final display location (the admiral's server) which she recommended. I will focus on a dust cover display case in the near future.

IMG_2353.jpgIMG_2354.jpgIMG_2355.jpg

Once again, I can't thank you all enough for your support through this build, I hope you enjoy the presentation. I will be taking a short break from building but will still be active in watching various other builds during the mean time.

Happy modeling to you!

My dear friend - these are superb photographs of a superb build. Between you, @PeterG Peter, and @dockattner Paul you three gents have created the strongest team of VASA-builds anywhere in the world. Your build with its brilliant rigging, imposing set of full sails and warm wood tone colors is a joy to behold. You can and must be so proud of this build!

Daniel,

I am so happy for you! You have built a magnificent rendition of our beloved Vasa that showcases your talent and perseverance. Now a beautiful ship occupies the place of honor in your home. The wood tones, the rigging, the sails, these things and more set her apart as uniquely YOURS. Fantastic! I hope you will display her with pride in knowing you gave it your very best effort - an effort which was richly rewarded.

But more than anything I want to honor you as a dear friend and fellow sojourner. What a delight is has been to share this effort with you these past several years. You are kind, gentle, and always ready to offer encouragement. I count you not merely as a 'forum friend' - but as someone whom I was blessed to share a journey with. Thanks for allowing me to be your wingman!

Back