VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

The imperative word is "Great" here. You have built a great model of the VASA my friend. As the last pieces of the puzzle fall into place, I am sure there is also a touch of remorse of ending the road that you have walked with this magnificent build.

Hi Daniele, holes must be made on this sail (civada) to drain the water in moments of cappellate (Violent wave that hits the boat from the bow and capsizes on deck...)

View attachment 346373
Hi Frank, now that's something I would not ever have thought of. Thanks for the information. I will not be doing it however because I would need to take the sail off to do it right. Makes perfect sense though.

The imperative word is "Great" here. You have built a great model of the VASA my friend. As the last pieces of the puzzle fall into place, I am sure there is also a touch of remorse of ending the road that you have walked with this magnificent build.
Hello Heinrich, there is a touch of thoughtful review developing here, I've been on this build for 20 months. I'm really really glad to be done with the sails and running rigging, that was beginning to be a bit too much. Now I'm excited to get back to all the other aspects of this ship. I sure thank you for your very nice complement.

Thanks Kurt, I certainly value your opinion.
Being a beginner myself, my opinion has little value, but despite that, I'm pretty sure you don't want more of it. ROTF
At the risk of being even more forward, it is my firm belief that your next ship will be even better because we learn so much with each model.

Being a beginner myself, my opinion has little value, but despite that, I'm pretty sure you don't want more of it. ROTF
At the risk of being even more forward, it is my firm belief that your next ship will be even better because we learn so much with each model.
Well, your opinion has a lot of value for me. I strive to make each new effort better than before, even on a day-to-day basis with the Vasa. Now, you as a beginner taught me as a beginner a valuable technique in hull planking in how install drop planks. Just one example of how this works at least in my mind.

Absolutely beautiful Daniel! ;)
This is a true story. I love the way Daniels Vasa looks - his colouring, wood stain, and how the rigging and sails work in so well with this is beautiful. Cheers Grant
Thank you, Dean and Grant. Your opinions instill in me a great amount of confidence that I'm moving in the right direction.

Good morning, everyone,
finally, I reached yet another milestone on the great Swedish Vasa. I tied in the last sail line (a brace on the bowsprit topsail) finishing the running rigging and sail installation. Here are a few pics while she's still in the shipyard.

View attachment 346307View attachment 346308View attachment 346309
View attachment 346315

For some reason the bowsprit sails appear darker and then lighter than the foresails, but they are all the same color as shown in the first picture. Now comes rope hanks then the rest of canons, hatch covers and other final items. As you can see this big ship fills up my workspace, when completed I'll take her to a much more scenic location for final pictures.

Thanks again for checking in, and as always happy modeling!
It is nice to see that within a short time 2 very nice Vasa’s with sails have been finished. Daniel, you can be very proud of this impressive ship.:)
Regards, Peter

coming close to the end - Bravo and congrats for reaching this step with finishing running rigging and sails -
now only fine-tuning and I wish you a lot of fun :cool:

Hi Frank, now that's something I would not ever have thought of. Thanks for the information. I will not be doing it however because I would need to take the sail off to do it right. Makes perfect sense though.

just to get acquainted, notice the holes on the sail

vel.jpg

I never seen these holes on the sail on the bow. Just the hole for buntline could be there. I asked Fred Hockers if there where holes on that sail for the buntlines, and he said there where no holes at all on these sails or evidence they where in the remains of this sail.

I hope someone can translate

View attachment 346675
Hi Frank, I can defiantly see the utility if not the necessity of these holes. They would require some form of hem or stitching around the circumference which I would not attempt to do. The crossing pattern of sail reinforcement at the bowline to the corners is something I've not seen before. Is this part of normal early 17th century design?

Back