VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good morning all, it's been a month since I posted my last update. Hard to believe that much time has passed but wanted to let you know I am still working on the Vasa slowly but surely. This update focuses on the Foresail, Foretopsail, and Fore Topgallant installation. Once again, I used a combination of the Billings plans and the Vasa museum's own plans, this combination simply works best for me. I struggled a little trying to show a slight billowing in the sails and came up with putting a small diameter floral stem wire into the bottom seam of each sail putting a slight bow or bend to hold the sails shape. I'm very pleased with the result. I had experimented with spray starch and just plain water but found I could not control the extreme wrinkling that occurred while the cloth was damp. I have two sails left now on the bow sprit then all the faux canons and rope hanks, so the finish line is in sight. I hope you all enjoy.

IMG_2279.jpgIMG_2280.jpg

Thanks for checking in and am looking forward to all your comments, suggestions, or critiques.

Good morning all, it's been a month since I posted my last update. Hard to believe that much time has passed but wanted to let you know I am still working on the Vasa slowly but surely. This update focuses on the Foresail, Foretopsail, and Fore Topgallant installation. Once again, I used a combination of the Billings plans and the Vasa museum's own plans, this combination simply works best for me. I struggled a little trying to show a slight billowing in the sails and came up with putting a small diameter floral stem wire into the bottom seam of each sail putting a slight bow or bend to hold the sails shape. I'm very pleased with the result. I had experimented with spray starch and just plain water but found I could not control the extreme wrinkling that occurred while the cloth was damp. I have two sails left now on the bow sprit then all the faux canons and rope hanks, so the finish line is in sight. I hope you all enjoy.

View attachment 344579View attachment 344580

Thanks for checking in and am looking forward to all your comments, suggestions, or critiques.
Now that I am also involved in making sails in a similar scale, I am gaining more and more respect for the result presented. It looks very nice and natural, Daniel.
Regards, Peter

Very convincing billowing sails Daniel! Uniform but not perfect (in a good way) - seems like the addition of the wire paid dividends for you. Your careful work is seen in the result. Great stuff!
Thanks Paul, I will still have a bit final tweaking to do on them once I complete the project and prior to final photos.

Now that I am also involved in making sails in a similar scale, I am gaining more and more respect for the result presented. It looks very nice and natural, Daniel.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter, you know for me the really hard part is tying off the rigging lines to the pegs. Following the lead of Kurt @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS and making my own long reach tools was absolutely necessary else it just would not have happened.

My dear friend. I think your billowing sails look superb and add immensely to the overall authenticity of your ship. Stephen said it all about your ropes too. Better than that, I have not seen.

Good morning Daniel. Great to have this update. Worth the wait for sure. Personally I feel that the way your sails have come out is brilliant- neat but not too neat so the realism factor is portrayed. The billow factor is perfect- too much makes it look OTT- my opinion. I admire you guys who pull off sails so well. I’m going to have to give it a go one day. Cheers Grant

Good morning Daniel. Great to have this update. Worth the wait for sure. Personally I feel that the way your sails have come out is brilliant- neat but not too neat so the realism factor is portrayed. The billow factor is perfect- too much makes it look OTT- my opinion. I admire you guys who pull off sails so well. I’m going to have to give it a go one day. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. I value your opinion and would love to see you put sails on a model one day, with your talent I know they would be awesome! Ha, no pressure intended.

My admiration for all builders of square rigged ships increases with every update of the various models, especially when the builds are in the stage of adding standing- and running rigging. Your build is no exception: magnificent!

My admiration for all builders of square rigged ships increases with every update of the various models, especially when the builds are in the stage of adding standing- and running rigging. Your build is no exception: magnificent!
Thank you so much Johan.

The use of the large black board in background really helps set up the work on the lines and sails you have done, makes them pop out of the busy background you often see.

Keep up the good work and Vasa will be under full sail soon.

The use of the large black board in background really helps set up the work on the lines and sails you have done, makes them pop out of the busy background you often see.

Keep up the good work and Vasa will be under full sail soon.
Thanks Kurt, it’s just some black poster board from our local hobby store. With the 1:1 prints I have hanging to build by behind the ship it does get very busy looking, so much so it looks like some kind of a snare.

I can only agree with the other comments the sails match the ship perfectly they look fantastic and natural well done.

Back