VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good afternoon, everyone.
I wanted to share a quick aside from the sails and running rigging. Since I will be setting up the anchor draw works before I get serious with the foremast sails the following is my effort at modifying the anchors themselves. Billings assembly is completely plastic, and I thought I could improve on at least the stock part, so (after discovering that trying to paint the plastic stock like wood looked awful), I laminated some walnut planks, traced the plastic stock onto it and used my trusty scroll saw to cut the piece out. I flattened out some 0.8mm brass wire and fashioned some collars for the stock. Keeping the plastic anchor shank, I just painted it flat black then dry brushed with some antique gold paint.

IMG_2214.jpgIMG_2215.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2219.jpg

Check out my effort at the cable-laid rope (2.1mm) I will be using with the anchor. I would probably prefer something along 1.75 to 1.9mm but this came out pretty well I think.

IMG_2213.jpg

Once again, thanks for checking in.

That’s great work Daniel. I like your anchor cable.

I did a similar thing to you with the anchors and replaced the plastic stock with wood. I used some mahogany and lighter coloured tree nails which worked well. Yours looks excellent with the flattened brass wire.

One extra thing I did which I think was historically correct, was to serve the large haul ring at the top. I did it with black rope which took a while, but it gives a nice effect against the lighter colour of the anchor rope.

Regards,

PeterG

That’s great work Daniel. I like your anchor cable.

I did a similar thing to you with the anchors and replaced the plastic stock with wood. I used some mahogany and lighter coloured tree nails which worked well. Yours looks excellent with the flattened brass wire.

One extra thing I did which I think was historically correct, was to serve the large haul ring at the top. I did it with black rope which took a while, but it gives a nice effect against the lighter colour of the anchor rope.

Regards,

PeterG
Hi Peter, yes serving the ring will be the next thing I do.

The cable looks magnificent as does the anchor. After you have reworked it, it is another anchor altogether! Thumbsup

Finally finished with the anchors, just a simple view port and starboard, it was a nice diversion from the sails. I was concerned the anchor cable diameter was too big but after discussions with @Frank48, the 2.1mm dia. I have is actually a little too small, 2.5mm to 2.8mm would be closer to the correct scaled size. Relatively speaking it is the largest cable on my ship, so I think I will just stay with it.

IMG_2225.jpgIMG_2227.jpgIMG_2230.jpg

Now it's back to the sails which are currently kicking my butt.
Happy modeling to everyone.

Finally finished with the anchors, just a simple view port and starboard, it was a nice diversion from the sails. I was concerned the anchor cable diameter was too big but after discussions with @Frank48, the 2.1mm dia. I have is actually a little too small, 2.5mm to 2.8mm would be closer to the correct scaled size. Relatively speaking it is the largest cable on my ship, so I think I will just stay with it.

View attachment 336433View attachment 336434View attachment 336435

Really nice Daniel!

Your anchor with the brass-work and the cable looks very nice and realistic, Daniel.
Regards, Peter

Simply beautiful work Daniel. That cable looks so good - well done!

Good morning Daniel- Awesome. The anchor cables seem large on these models when you convert correctly. After a while tho it just fits perfectly. The correct size cables I got from Paul seemed so huge when I opened the packet- like “no way”. However when I look at the real ship it is correct- they are massive. Cheers Grant

Very good work on the anchor with anchor cable
Only one knot is looking a little bit strange - I guess you have too long rope after the ring, so the loop(s) are too long - maybe you consider to redo it
IMG_2230.jpg

Back