VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Well good afternoon everyone,
I have finally fabricated a permanent base for my Vasa. I was in a Homegoods store with the Admiral the other day and came across this beautiful piece of Olive wood in the cutting boards section. Eureka, I found my base for the Vasa! I traced the cradle pieces on to a newly arrived walnut board I ordered for the occasion and fashioned the pieces below.

IMG_2249.jpgIMG_2250.jpgIMG_2251.jpg

Although the cradles are a skosh too wide, the Olive wood steals my eye off that condition.
Now it's back to sails and rigging.

My word, Daniel, THAT looks outstanding!! The base wood and the walnut compliment the ship beautifully.

Are you going to have the ship exposed (in the open) - my personal feeling is that it is not recommended? Dust, small fingers, insects etc etc. If you are to enclose it in a glass/perspex enclosure, how will this work with the baseplate? I guess you could use a second baseboard the size required and sit the enclosure and lovely timber base on it.

A really lovely way to display and securely support your model. I am really impressed.

Regards,

PeterG.

My word, Daniel, THAT looks outstanding!! The base wood and the walnut compliment the ship beautifully.

Are you going to have the ship exposed (in the open) - my personal feeling is that it is not recommended? Dust, small fingers, insects etc etc. If you are to enclose it in a glass/perspex enclosure, how will this work with the baseplate? I guess you could use a second baseboard the size required and sit the enclosure and lovely timber base on it.

A really lovely way to display and securely support your model. I am really impressed.

Regards,

PeterG.
Hello Peter, I do plan on a plexiglass case and yes there would be a floor that the Vasa's base would sit on. For now, I use a can of compressed air and a soft paint brush to dust it off a couple times a week or so.

Thanks for your reply Daniel.

You have been so diligent and thorough all the way through I couldn't imagine you would not have thought this through!! Your solution should work a treat. I had a Plexiglass case made and my Vasa will be going in, in about 2-3 weeks (just in time for Christmas, and a champagne launching!!). Mind, the case cost nearly as much as the model kit!!

Ongoing cleaning of the dust and bits which fall when doing the rigging/trimming etc is an ongoing issue. I have rigged up a small tube extension to a vacuum cleaner and it does a good job, but as the number of rigging lines increases, it becomes a bit tenuous to get the tube where I want it. A soft brush and air is a good alternative, but it is a constant task.

Regards,

PeterG.

That base looks simply wonderful my friend. There is just nothing that comes close to the beauty of the natural wood. If I compare the rough texture of the base to the wreck of the VASA in the museum there is an uncanny resemblance. This is simply superb!

That base looks simply wonderful my friend. There is just nothing that comes close to the beauty of the natural wood. If I compare the rough texture of the base to the wreck of the VASA in the museum there is an uncanny resemblance. This is simply superb!
Thank you, Heinrich, when I saw that wood in the store it immediately occurred to me this is the base I have been looking for.

Hi Daniel just catching up with the build logs, the house took longer than expected. Love the look of your Vasa, great idea for the base and cradle which suits the ship perfectly.
Thanks Tony, I'm glad to see you back at your Unicorn build.

Thank you, Dean. If you're ever looking for a presentation board, look in the Homegoods store, they have a whole isle of noting but cutting boards. Most are too thick but some just right.
Thanks, will look into it for the NL.
Also, if you wanted to cut the edge of the pedestals to be even with the edge of the base board, I think it would look very nice. You would lose your rounded tip, but it could follow the curve of the base board instead. Just food for thought! ;)

I have finally fabricated a permanent base for my Vasa. I was in a Homegoods store with the Admiral the other day and came across this beautiful piece of Olive wood in the cutting boards section. Eureka, I found my base for the Vasa! I traced the cradle pieces on to a newly arrived walnut board I ordered for the occasion and fashioned the pieces below.

View attachment 339470View attachment 339471View attachment 339472

Although the cradles are a skosh too wide, the Olive wood steals my eye off that condition.
That is a very beautiful piece if wood as a base for your Vasa, Daniel.
Regards, Peter.

View attachment 339470View attachment 339471View attachment 339472

A unique base, that's for sure. Very creative.

The grain of wood on the base almost looks like swirling waters. Very artistic!
Thank you, Kurt, my philosophy with this build has always been to express an artistic presentation first, then follow on with as much accuracy as my patients and skill will allow. My goal is to make it pleasing to the eye.

Back