Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

As I started reading your concluding post this evening I felt a tinge of sadness knowing something really special had come to an end. A strange emotion given the beauty of your Vasa and your incredible accomplishments, which I have admired since the start. It has been a fun ride following your posts and seeing a box of wood turn into something of astounding beauty in your hands. Congratulations to you Paul, you well deserve all the accolades that will surely follow your announcement.
Thank you Roger. Indeed, it arrived in twelve boxes! And now it all sits in one case as a finished ship model (sadly, with boxes of unused parts!). I appreciate all the kind encouragements you posted along the way.

Good morning Paul. Your Vasa is an exquisite model, beautifully crafted, thoroughly researched and deserves all the accolades given and yet to receive.

That said, it is not the completion of the Vasa which leaves me saddened. Strange I know because this should be a congratulatory post and celebration. Your impact on myself and many others as a person has been tremendous. Virtual friend no doubt. Stuff the “virtual “ my friend! I’m going to miss this Vasa log.

Ok enough- congratulations Paul !!!!! Brilliant Vasa and thanks for sharing this wonderful journey with all of us.ExplosionExplosionBottleBottleBeerThumbs-UpThumbs-Up.
Cheers Grant
My dear friend Grant - you DO bring the fun to the forum! And as a fellow first-timer I know you know the pain of not having a clue how to accomplish what seems impossible to understand - and yet we build. Paul's Vasa and Grant's Victory are distinctive in that way! Thanks much!

Congratulations Paul on your excellent VASA and I can only agree with the previous speakers. I came late to your impressive build and had a hard time reading through everything. It has been a long road that you have travelled together with your VASA but it has been worth it, as one can see without a doubt. You can be rightly proud of yourself and your achievement and I am already looking forward to your next project, maybe Le Rochefort, who knows.
Best regards Tobias.
Thanks Tobias. Yes, the build report is too long to be usable - but nothing can be done about that anymore! Hopefully my (pending) finish photos will get everyone caught up with all that went into this build.

Your progress as a builder is an inspiration to me! You are undaunted by a challenge and I love that about you!

Also big congratulations from my side. Many things has been already said can't add much to that. Your attention to details is breathtaking. Have fun with your next model what ever it is. I'm 100% sure in your hands it'll be something magnificent.

Doc, I think you have inspired as many or more of us on what can be done when you put your heart and soul into a project to try to make it as close to what we know of the original ship when it was constructed.

That is what I like about this forum, we all learn from others and as a group we all expand our knowledge.

See how you have taken time with painting details of the many folks on Vasa and other details, I don't know how you can still have a box of unused parts left behind.

But do find a good place to store you excess, as I have learned from the few small projects I have completed the scrap can come in handy for something else down the way.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS SHORT POST

Well, my model of the Swedish warship Vasa is now complete. I have experienced times of deep frustration - and times of profound satisfaction. Along the way so many of you have taught, corrected, commiserated, and encouraged me. I would love to mention some of you by name, but I fear that forgetting or neglecting someone would only make me appear ungrateful. And the last thing I want to be right now is ungrateful. So, wherever you fit into my build experience, I want to just say thank you. No, really, THANK YOU.

I find the end has filled me with mixed emotions. As a guy who has spent much of his life motivated by accomplishment (and hating that about myself) - I find that being on this journey has been much more gratifying than belaying the last line and sliding the ship into her case. I can truly say that the building process has meant more to me than the building product.

At the end there were just over 130 people who clicked on a button in order to follow this build. Over the course of 27 months there were nearly 4000 posts. More than 200,000 times someone peaked in to see what I was up to. All of this I find humbling beyond words. I look forward to slipping into model building obscurity in the years ahead.

And there will be years ahead for me (God willing). I have found a hobby that happens to tick the boxes of things I enjoy doing (working creatively with my hands and mind, trying to accomplish something just out of my reach). And to discover this forum - what a blessing! If it is possible to have real friends on a virtual platform, then I claim many, many of you as my friends. Thank you for making me your friend as well.

View attachment 343957

I am trying to persuade a photographer friend to come out of retirement (raising her children) to take professional pictures of the finished ship. If she declines, I'll do the best I can to provide some final images.

Until then, you'll find me here on the forum trying to build ships that inspire - just as you have inspired me.

Onward!
Such a great accomplishment! I have enjoyed reading the posts over the months. But....don't look at this as the end! What's next???

Paul, if you need to leave vent to the case, you can raise it up a bit with frame underneath with openings for air flow, properly supported across the bottom with crossmembers and cut one or two small vent holes in back corners, or behind the ships stand to allow air in and out for venting.

so much words made already by others - and I can underline them fully.
Many Many thanks for your own words - this exactly is describing the basis and energy of such a forum like ours.
It was great to follow this log and I will follow with biggest interest the next one(s)
Many Thanks for sharing with us your work on this wonderful model

Congratulations Paul in the completion of a model which is amongst one of the nicest builds of this vessel.

Your can do attitude has to be applauded, if you didn't know how to , you found out how to.

I echo others, the completion of you project is a little sad. Sad in the fact that I feel many of us have experienced your journey as well.

I look forward to following your journey on your future work.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

I have certainly lived this build as an open book. And it's a good thing I did because I needed the help of so many to bring her across the finish line. I've said it before but it bears repeating: without your help with the second planking my Vasa would have disappeared as quickly as the mother ship. I LOVE learning from you!

First I congratulate you with this wonderful build. Unbelievable it was your first build. I wasn't there from the beginning but came onboard when you was over the half of the build. I was soon impressed of the details and craftsmanship you displayed. Hope to see soon al the professional pictures you promise. Looking forward to your next big build.
Thank you Stephan. I have enjoyed sharing this journey with you. Of course you share my attention/appreciation for the details. Thanks for inspiring me!

Also from my side: Congratulations with your finished Vasa, Paul. If was a pleasure to follow this build, with always nice comments and pictures.
Regards, Peter
So nice of you to share your congratulations Peter. It is builders like you that I hope to emulate in my small way. Thanks for leading the way on what can be accomplished at scale!

Hello Paul, and a big congratulations on building one of the finest ship models I have ever seen. Like so many others I too feel a bit of melancholy at its completion and at the same time WOW, what an amazing privilege to have been on this wonderful Vasa journey with you. I'm looking forward to more journeys into the world of model making with you, my friend.
Daniel, my dear friend, you know how much I have enjoyed building these ships with you at my side. Your Vasa is coming along so wonderfully I know you will be sharing my sense of accomplishment soon. I'm looking forward to celebrating with you one day!

Paul, buddy (hopefully), congratulations on completing this truly remarkable project. It was a pleasure to watch your work. I hope you don't give up on this hobby and we can still see your wonderful work. It's nice to see a modeler grow professionally while building a model. Trust me, not many people can do that. Some even do not listen to reasoned criticism. During the construction of your model, you always listened to the statements of your modeling colleagues and made the right conclusions. Once again, congratulations on completing this beautiful model. I hope that we will see you again in the vastness of this forum
Hello Sasha, indeed I have attempted to maintain a teachable spirit throughout the build. Sometimes that was difficult because it meant doing things over that I thought I had completed - but in every case it resulted in a better result. In the end I started to look forward to the corrections. Thank you for the ways you helped me along the process.

What can I say that has not already been said. What a wonderful accomplishment and I feel privileged to have been allowed to follow along on your journey.
Like others have said I really looked forward every day to open your latest post.
As I continue to struggle with my current loss you are an inspiration to us all.

so much words made already by others - and I can underline them fully.
Many Many thanks for your own words - this exactly is describing the basis and energy of such a forum like ours.
It was great to follow this log and I will follow with biggest interest the next one(s)
Many Thanks for sharing with us your work on this wonderful model
Thank you very much Uwe. My appreciation and admiration for the founders and administrators of this forum. Without something like this, model ship building would be a lonely business. Thank you for your kind review of my work - it is much appreciated.

Back