Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yes. I used the Mod Podge Photo Transfer version but I'm not certain that was the best choice. The photo version creates a white opaque background so that photos can be transferred onto things (shirts, for example) that are colored. Without the white background the image wouldn't look good. Since I was transferring onto white cloth, I didn't need that white background, and I'm wondering if that added to the thickness issue I ran into. I was going to try regular Mod Podge (@Maarten - what do you use?) but I still would have had to transfer the flag art to both the front and the back of the cloth and I was worried about that...so I ended up with printing onto Silkspan...

I really like this image transfer idea. Maarten used it to transfer graphics (scrollwork) and words (ship's name) onto wood and I think that's where the strength of this technique lies. Having a white background would make transferring onto wood look lousy so Maarten must be using the regular Mod Podge (?).
Paul, thank you for replying, like your work, a very thorough explanatory reply. Standard Mod Podge comes in clear, Matt, Satin or Low Sheen and Gloss. I know this because the grand daughter has used it for her craft work. I doubt very much if I'll ever have use for this medium but one never knows. I see hours coming up spent with the grand daughter learning how to use Mod Podge. It's wonderful how much can and is learnt via SOS. Cheers.

ExplosionExplosionExplosion

I am just super pleased with how this case turned out!

IMG_8940.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8938.JPG

Bonus: the end is removable so I can get the ship in/out safely:

IMG_8943.JPG

Now I need to figure out some sort of latching mechanism to keep the side panel in place. It fits snuggly, but I don't trust it. I may also add some base molding, but I'm going to look at it over the next couple of days and see how it strikes me.

The perfect looking case, you‘ve shown some great additional skills Paul. I really like it.

Something I’ve always wondered about - is it necessary to have some sort of vent arrangement for temperature/humidity changes?

View attachment 343322

View attachment 343323

View attachment 343321

View attachment 343324

Now I need to figure out some sort of latching mechanism to keep the side panel in place. It fits snuggly, but I don't trust it. I may also add some base molding, but I'm going to look at it over the next couple of days and see how it strikes me.
Maybe strong rare earth magnets?

The perfect looking case, you‘ve shown some great additional skills Paul. I really like it.

Something I’ve always wondered about - is it necessary to have some sort of vent arrangement for temperature/humidity changes?
That's a great question Roger. For now I've been leaving the side door open to allow some of the fumes from the adhesives I used to dissipate. But what about long term???

That's a great question Roger. For now I've been leaving the side door open to allow some of the fumes from the adhesives I used to dissipate. But what about long term???
Long term is what I was thinking about. It’s something I have never noticed or looked for in ship displays in a museum. Although temperature and humidity is probably more keenly controlled - not saying your wonderful home isn’t but I think you know what I mean :).
Maybe Fred Hocker @fred.hocker or someone with a museum background can assist?

View attachment 343322

View attachment 343323

View attachment 343321

View attachment 343324

Well done, Paul. Nice wooden corners and a removable end …….. just great.
Rergards, Peter

View attachment 343322

View attachment 343323

View attachment 343321

View attachment 343324

Hi Paul
Very nice case

Thank you, friends, for your kind comments about the case. After walking by it the past several days I've decided to add a very narrow piece of base trim (about the same height as the wood base itself). I think this will make for a nicer 'finish' and encase the plexiglass helpfully.

Oh, and I have ordered some mini-magnets and I'll see if I can install them invisibly.

As always, I appreciate that you have taken the time to post a like or comment.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS SHORT POST

Well, my model of the Swedish warship Vasa is now complete. I have experienced times of deep frustration - and times of profound satisfaction. Along the way so many of you have taught, corrected, commiserated, and encouraged me. I would love to mention some of you by name, but I fear that forgetting or neglecting someone would only make me appear ungrateful. And the last thing I want to be right now is ungrateful. So, wherever you fit into my build experience, I want to just say thank you. No, really, THANK YOU.

I find the end has filled me with mixed emotions. As a guy who has spent much of his life motivated by accomplishment (and hating that about myself) - I find that being on this journey has been much more gratifying than belaying the last line and sliding the ship into her case. I can truly say that the building process has meant more to me than the building product.

At the end there were just over 130 people who clicked on a button in order to follow this build. Over the course of 27 months there were nearly 4000 posts. More than 200,000 times someone peaked in to see what I was up to. All of this I find humbling beyond words. I look forward to slipping into model building obscurity in the years ahead.

And there will be years ahead for me (God willing). I have found a hobby that happens to tick the boxes of things I enjoy doing (working creatively with my hands and mind, trying to accomplish something just out of my reach). And to discover this forum - what a blessing! If it is possible to have real friends on a virtual platform, then I claim many, many of you as my friends. Thank you for making me your friend as well.

IMG_8963.JPG

I am trying to persuade a photographer friend to come out of retirement (raising her children) to take professional pictures of the finished ship. If she declines, I'll do the best I can to provide some final images.

Until then, you'll find me here on the forum trying to build ships that inspire - just as you have inspired me.

Onward!

Last edited:
I will start off by appreciating that this post was short, unlike most of your previous posts. :p But kidding aside, I had great excitement seeing your skills grow by building your first-ever model VASA which become a winner by most (if not all) SOS members' decision. This can be further proved by the number of members (131) who followed your extremely enjoyable journey.
Personally, I love your dedication and meticulous research prior execution of any tasks while building the model. While you build the model, you have acquired another two professional skills, and should you become bored with the orthodontic job, you can bake and do alternation in your spare time. Isn't it great! :p

With all my open heart, I want to congratulate you on this Awesome accomplishment and beautiful VASA! You are well deserved to be proud of yourself as well as your great accomplishment! Congrats, mon ami!!!

I was dreading this moment to be honest. Opening the forum and following the VASA build was one of the mainstays of my daily existence. Somehow, without that, the forum will not just be the same. It does not matter what you build in future and how beautiful the results (as they no doubt will be), to me you are forever linked to the VASA. For once, there was a model ship being built, not for the sake of building a model (even though it may have started off that way), but as an extension of who and what you are - a person who appreciates the finest things in life and as such expects nothing less from himself. That is what your VASA is - surely one of the finest models ever built from a kit. Congratulations Paul - following this build has been an honor and getting you know you (virtually) likewise.

I cannot wait to see you tackle the Lauckstreet Kingfisher - one of the finest "kits" in existence (in my opinion). However, to me it will not be Paul Kattner building the Kingfisher - it will be VASA Paul doing the build!

Paul, it is a testament to your sense of humor and self-effacing nature that you have brought so many of us in, initially, for the ride. Your talent and willingness to work and re-work, search and re-search, share and re-share is what kept us here. Me, certainly. This model is incredible. That was never in doubt. What you do next, I am sure, will be equally fascinating. All the best, Paul. As others have said, I feel I have some sense for who you really are, at the end of this amazing project. Congratulations, my friend!

Back