Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Paul
Congratulations on completing the Vasa, I have been watching your build ever since I joined this group I have learnt a lot and the posts have been very entertaining. Your Vasa has to be one of the best if not the best I've seen, amazing that it was made from a kit.
Looking back on your log from start to finish I reckon it would make a really good book at least one I would buy.
Looking forward to seeing your future endeavours.
Tony
Oh, if only I had your ingenuity Tony I'd likely have finished with fewer pages ROTF. But my build log contains at least 25% do-overs and I don't think that would make for very good reading :rolleyes:. I enjoy following your work as well - always clean and precise.

Last edited:
Oh, if only I had your ingenuity Tony I'd likely have finished with fewer pages ROTF. But my build log contains at least 25% do-overs and I don't think that would make for very good reading :rolleyes:. I enjoy following your work as well - always clean and precise.
Thanks Paul, I learn more from do-overs than I do when things go right. I just wish I didn't have to do the same lesson over and over again especially with the rigging.

Congratulations Paul! It’s been a long journey and you certainly learned a lot along the way. I decided to check in on you and…boom…you’re done! I never expected that! :p
You really have set the bar on a first ship. I always looked forward to your progress and accomplishments. I know the end is bittersweet, because you’re happy to finally finish, but sad not be working on her anymore.
And it almost goes without saying, she is an absolute beauty! Many blessings to you and your family, look forward to your next project!

Congratulations Paul! It’s been a long journey and you certainly learned a lot along the way. I decided to check in on you and…boom…you’re done! I never expected that! :p
You really have set the bar on a first ship. I always looked forward to your progress and accomplishments. I know the end is bittersweet, because you’re happy to finally finish, but sad not be working on her anymore.
And it almost goes without saying, she is an absolute beauty! Many blessings to you and your family, look forward to your next project!
Thank you kindly, Dean. You were an 'early adopter' of this build log, and I appreciate all the many ways you encouraged and challenged me along the way. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Paul, I somehow missed out on the last 15 pages. I stopped getting notices. Belated congratulations on the completion of your beautiful ship. I'm proud of your accomplishments. May God bless you in all your future endeavors.

Paul, I somehow missed out on the last 15 pages. I stopped getting notices. Belated congratulations on the completion of your beautiful ship. I'm proud of your accomplishments. May God bless you in all your future endeavors.
Thank you very much Vic. Quite a journey that I was happy to share with you and many others. Blessings to you as well!

Well Paul, now that this is done and the build log slowing down a bit, what can we expect for your next major build log for next year after the holidays have gone by and we have settled down for a long winter build session.

I find all your "issues" you call do overs, to be great inspiration to show others what you have done and learned how to do better, many I am sure wouldn't want to post the mistakes in a build log and show the world what they did that could have been done better.

You would never make a good government employee Paul, your work is never "good enough for government work" and is always a cut above, or cut in finger....

Well Paul, now that this is done and the build log slowing down a bit, what can we expect for your next major build log for next year after the holidays have gone by and we have settled down for a long winter build session.

I find all your "issues" you call do overs, to be great inspiration to show others what you have done and learned how to do better, many I am sure wouldn't want to post the mistakes in a build log and show the world what they did that could have been done better.

You would never make a good government employee Paul, your work is never "good enough for government work" and is always a cut above, or cut in finger....
What a nice note Kurt. Thank you kindly.

I have my new project in hand: an 'out of production' kit from Lauck Street Shipyards of the swan class sloop Kingfisher. It is plank-on-frame so something a bit different for me.

In this intervening period, I have been doing some research on swan class ships and plank-on-frame construction, collecting build materials for the inevitable add-ons, and gathering reference materials I will need for the build (books, drawings, etc.).

To keep my fingers limber I have also been building a support vessel for the Vasa that will eventually be displayed in the case with the mother ship. It's hidden away on this forum in the scratch build section. Here is a link for anyone interested:

I'm still working on my friend to get her to take pictures - I may need to take my own which would be disappointing...

Hi Paul, I've just returned from a six-week break and find myself late on the long list of well-wishes who have justifiably showered you and your fine work on the Vasa with praise. I'm sure I missed several of the 201 (so far) pages of your build log but I thoroughly enjoyed reading those that I did not, not to mentioned the time you took to comment and encourage other builds as well. Like Dean mentioned I'm sure it is something of a bittersweet moment, loving your finished product but still wishing you could sit down to tweak a deadeye or belay just one more line. All about the journey. I certainly hope you will go on to more shipbuilding endeavours so that we can continue to enjoy your fellowship and good humour. Well done indeed on your Vasa, a magnificent effort in every sense of the word, and all the very best for whatever you decide to tackle next :)

- Mark

Last edited:
I wish you luck as I have a Lauck Street Shipyards Fair American kit and am waiting to get a chance to start on it.

This were some of the first high quality POF kits produced.

I have my folding chair ready to set up when your build log starts.

Hi Paul, I've just returned from a six-week break and find myself late on the long list of well-wishes who have justifiably showered you and your fine work on the Vasa with praise. I'm sure I missed several of the 201 (so far) pages of your build log but I thoroughly enjoyed reading those that I did not, not to mentioned the time you took to comment and encourage other builds as well. Like Dean mentioned I'm sure it is something of a bittersweet moment, loving your finished product but still wishing you could sit down to tweak a deadeye or belay just one more line. All about the journey. I certainly hope you will go on to more shipbuilding endeavours so that we can continue to enjoy your fellowship and good humour. Well done indeed on your Vasa, a magnificent effort in every sense of the word, and all the very best for whatever you decide to tackle next :)

- Mark
Thanks Mark - a long journey to be sure but one that brought a lot of enjoyment (and some pain)!

I couldn't wait to start my second ship. But aside from the esping, which compliments the Wasa so very well, do you have any other ships in mind for a future build, or is this all you wanted to do as far as ships go?
I have a Lauck Street Shipyards Kingfisher (1:48) in a box five feet from me. This is an out-of-production kit I purchased second hand from someone of the forum. And the coolest thing of all: 90% boxwood.

Wow! I have found display bases to be a challenge. You worked one that fits perfectly with your build. Inspiring!

You really are missing the point of a build log, Paul. It is supposed to contain the redo's as well as the successful construction, otherwise other members won't learn how to get out of similar jams. It is important reading! Other beginners see how mistakes are corrected and problems are resolved, and that boosts their confidence, resulting in a higher number of complete model builds.

(Plus it makes for good comedy) ;)

I have a Lauck Street Shipyards Kingfisher (1:48) in a box five feet from me. This is an out-of-production kit I purchased second hand from someone of the forum. And the coolest thing of all: 90% boxwood.
That's a real nice kit to build, and no sails or rigging things

Back