Uses for an old cutting mat

I'm really opening myself up with this posting but here goes.
I personally favor pink mats. They are thicker than the green and gray mats of which I do have some. :rolleyes:
I don't care what color they are. Just don't clean them with acetone, thinner or IPA if you want to retain the white lines. :(
Oh yes, I do have green mats that I use when cleaning my handguns.

My main workspace
Mat I.jpg

Under my small drill press.
mat II.jpg

lay my drawings & parts on the gray one.
Mat III.jpg

Ok - I missed the last 18 hours of discussion about the mats,
so therefore my two cents a little bit late,
1) pink mats - you need sunglasses working near them ;) therefore it is good, that these mats are thicker ........ but definiteky you will find small eyerings faster than on green or black
2) @Steef66 - to have 17 mats in use -> this is "crazy", expecially most of them will never get in touch with a cutter or knife -> I think you have them only because of the expected aura , or?

Ok - I missed the last 18 hours of discussion about the mats,
so therefore my two cents a little bit late,
1) pink mats - you need sunglasses working near them ;) therefore it is good, that these mats are thicker ........ but definiteky you will find small eyerings faster than on green or black
2) @Steef66 - to have 17 mats in use -> this is "crazy", expecially most of them will never get in touch with a cutter or knife -> I think you have them only because of the expected aura , or?
...so, it is two of us crazy at this point. I am no longer alone. ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF

If my Admiral knew what I spent on my multiple hobbies she would say I am crazy as well.

My old CB Radio call sign was Krazy K! :D Before I got married 43 years ago, I used to go sky diving as a hobby, but she said sky dive or get married, but not both!

I guess my love for her won over the fun of sky diving.

If my Admiral knew what I spent on my multiple hobbies she would say I am crazy as well.

My old CB Radio call sign was Krazy K! :D Before I got married 43 years ago, I used to go sky diving as a hobby, but she said sky dive or get married, but not both!

Jumping out of perfectly good aircraft would qualify as crazy. :)
Actually, I wanted to try it.

Are you crazy??!! Choose married above sky diving?? ROTF ROTFROTF

Love this thread with humor and fun!!

On a serious note! :cool: How do I choose my 'green' cutting mat?

Cutting mats are used to protect the surface of your tabletop or workbench from cuts, glue, or any other damage that can occur while paper cutting, cosplay crafting, model making, or just about any other hobby. Cut, slice, mold, and paint on the surface, wipe clean, and then do it all over again with the next project. Cutting mats are a versatile “tool” we don’t always notice but are always glad we have. So ever wonder how cutting mats work?

Good self-healing cutting mats should be 3mm thick or more, rigid and pliable. They should have soft self-healing PVC layers on both sides and a durable hard PVC center layer\s.

1699974920295.png
image credits to Excell website

This five-layered combination protects not only the work surface but also the craft knife blade or rotary cutter blade. By using blades on the self-healing PVC surface, the sharp edge of the blade is exposed to a softer cutting surface which provides less impact and pressure, prolonging the longevity of the cutting edge.

If cutting mats were as fragile as the table surface you work on, they wouldn’t last very long. Self-healing cutting mats were designed to withstand a lot of use and handling. Self-healing cutting mats heal because they are not made of solid material, like glass or even soft plastic. Instead, self-healing cutting mats are made of tiny particles pressed into a semi-solid surface that absorbs cuts and then, due to the non-solid nature of the mat, quickly fills in the cut.

Now, that you know how the self-healing cutting mat is made, you can choose your own 'green' mat, or not a green one.

Love this thread with humor and fun!!

On a serious note! :cool: How do I choose my 'green' cutting mat?
censored picture
image credits to Excell website

This five-layered combination protects not only the work surface but also the craft knife blade or rotary cutter blade. By using blades on the self-healing PVC surface, the sharp edge of the blade is exposed to a softer cutting surface which provides less impact and pressure, prolonging the longevity of the cutting edge.

If cutting mats were as fragile as the table surface you work on, they wouldn’t last very long. Self-healing cutting mats were designed to withstand a lot of use and handling. Self-healing cutting mats heal because they are not made of solid material, like glass or even soft plastic. Instead, self-healing cutting mats are made of tiny particles pressed into a semi-solid surface that absorbs cuts and then, due to the non-solid nature of the mat, quickly fills in the cut.

Now, that you know how the self-healing cutting mat is made, you can choose your own 'green' mat, or not a green one.
Nice story, but why you use a picture of a blue cutting mat? Are you want to promote the use of blue mats? Very disappointing of you. Alien
81lVWvIvXzL.jpg

Nice story, but why you use a picture of a blue cutting mat? Are you want to promote the use of blue mats? Very disappointing of you. Alien
View attachment 406999
We discussed the (correct or best) colour of the matt and also the colour of the lines
What we did not have discussed until now is the correct or best unit of the ruler !!!!
You show correctly "cm"
but I think this new discussion will not coming to any end - I guess we here in Europe know, which is the correct and best one......
BTW: A beautiful GREEN mat with CM and white lines
==>> The perfect mat

You show correctly "cm"
but I think this new discussion will not coming to any end - I guess we here in Europe know, which is the correct and best one......
BTW: A beautiful GREEN mat with CM and white lines
==>> The perfect mat
I barely use the ruler printed on the matt, so...for the most part, I don't care if it is Metric or Imperial, metric would be preferable, I should say. BTW, what color are the lines on your mat, Uwe? :p:p
... my perfect mat is the one in my home, it is not Green, simply because I wouldn't say I like Green color, I dislike it. :( :( :( :p

Back