Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

Is there a reason you can't just shorten (pare down) the inner wall?
I think that could be done, but there are two more pieces that fit on top of that plank.

IMG_3021.jpeg
I sort of leaning to eliminating or parring down plank #6. But first I need to work on the cap rails that cover that area. I want to assure myself that I'll have good fit before I make any "adjustments"

San Bartolome.jpeg

Jan

Last edited:
:eek:Oh boy, the "Bumbler" has created a problem.:eek:

The plan.

View attachment 384520

The how to do it video

What the "Bumbler" did.

View attachment 384521

The inside planking juts just a "WEE" bit above the hull planks. Both the SB side and Port side have the same problem. I'm blaming the build error on "Heat Stroke". It's been over 90F/32C most of the week. That temperature when corrected for high Humidity places the temperature well over 100F. (Can't cool off in the pool, the water temperature is over 85F)

I think I'm going to take a break and try figure out what went wrong. It's going to take some careful ungluing to do a "Do-Over":rolleyes:

Jan
Good afternoon Jan. ….and I thought I alone made those kind of blunders…I agree must be the heat stroke. Why don’t you just shape down the inner planks to fit, unless I’m missing something? Cheers Grant

Yup, little bit of a puzzle. I can see doing it wrong on one side. :D But I managed to do it twice.:D

Working the cap rails to get an idea of how they fit and then ..... "Do-Over/Adjustment" time.

Jan

(Off to the cool basement to work on the Railroad Empire, to warm to work in the shipyard nook. BTW I was at my local bank yesterday, big sign on the Tellers window "WE WILL NO LONGER DISBURSE OR ACCEPT COINS AFTER SEPTEMBER 1", guess I'll have to throw Dollar bills into the "Bad Word" jar from now on)

I have to thank you for going ahead and preventing my mistakes! I just finished my Amati Revenge last month and so finally am moving on the San Bartolome which has sat on the shelf since December. Your log and frequent pictures have really been a great help. The design is good, but I find so many parts just don't quite fit, so the need for checking with dry fitting before ever gluing is so important! I am happy with the build, but I don't get why they ship 9x9 beams and have 8x8 openings as one example. It just makes more work than is needed. It is an interesting build though, and far different than any of my previous ships, which is what I wanted. I am also happy to give some business to a small company in Ukraine. Thanks for sharing your build with all of us.

@Freddie, Thanks or stopping by. I'm glad if my rambling log-bumbling effort helps with you'r build. Yup, dry fit, dry fit and dry fit, that process prevents a lot of problems. The You Tube videos are a big help and contain a lot of useful tips. There have been a lot of Re-Dos with this build, most of them have been Rookie mistakes on my part. I agree it's a great kit and it is also a big challenge for a "Novice" modeler. The best part of my log is the participation of the SOS bunch who follow along and dispense "Wisdom", offer critiques and cheer us "Novices" on with lots of with "Attaboys". So post your progress, share your pitfalls, solutions and enjoy your build. I'm looking forward to more chats.

Jan

A great day to work in the Pathfinder shipyard.

IMG_3902.jpeg

No complaints about the previous couple of high temperature days. Almost 3/4 of an inch of rain in six hours, with a lot more forecast for tonight.

We started with the plan for the cap rails.

San Bartolome.jpeg

Found the right flats and cut out the required parts and had a gluing marathon. First the individual pieces.

IMG_3894.jpeg.

Then the combinations. Never have enough of the same type clamps, but we managed to work around that problem.

IMG_3895.jpeg

All the bits glued up properly and waiting for the sanding marathon.

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

A very productive day.

Jan

Last edited:
It’s the simple “I should have done” things that complicate things later on.

The build plans. Add these pieces to the frames.

F266EABC-A9C7-4EFA-BCF5-4B12360CA306.jpeg

Add these pieces to the SB and Port sides.

4AF88464-B010-490E-AFEF-3DF13A55C7F5.jpeg

It never occurred to me to test fit the beams to make sure all the openings lined up properly. :rolleyes:

3EC366C8-8E55-47E0-B013-8AF5EAEAF88F.jpeg

I used some 1/4 X 1/4 inch dowels to test fit the openings this morning and had a 60% success rate. Ha “3 out of 5 “ ain’t bad. The remaining two required creative filing and sanding to get a good fit. Plank #38 needs to be marked to reflect the location of the openings and then be glued into position. That completes the hull planking.

Yup, just a little omission on my part few weeks ago caused a minor “oh rats” and a $1 bill added to the jar. Cautious

Jan

It’s the simple “I should have done” things that complicate things later on.

The build plans. Add these pieces to the frames.

View attachment 385341

Add these pieces to the SB and Port sides.

View attachment 385342

It never occurred to me to test fit the beams to make sure all the openings lined up properly. :rolleyes:

View attachment 385343

I used some 1/4 X 1/4 inch dowels to test fit the openings this morning and had a 60% success rate. Ha “3 out of 5 “ ain’t bad. The remaining two required creative filing and sanding to get a good fit. Plank #38 needs to be marked to reflect the location of the openings and then be glued into position. That completes the hull planking.

Yup, just a little omission on my part few weeks ago caused a minor “oh rats” and a $1 bill added to the jar. Cautious

Jan
Good job

Thanks for helping me out about my missing part 187. Thanks for the quick reply! I just watched the video, and it looks like part 187 is on plate 31. Unfortunately, after much searching ( and choice words) I see that my kit is missing plates 30, 31, 32 and 20A, all of which are supposed to be in box 1 pack 19 which I don't have. So now I have to see how long it will take to get those shipped from Ukraine. Quite frustrating. Did you get those plates, or am I missing something?

Well I guess I'll have to move on to something else for a while. That's a lot of parts missing on 4 plates. Who knows how long that will take to get. I hope they can send them to me or else this will be expensive kindling!

Already done, thanks for the suggestion Pathfinder. I just hope that they have it in stock and can send it. Shipping from Ukraine can be slow given the very challenging circumstances. I feel badly complaining, but I can't do the model missing 4 whole plates! I looked ahead and I think I can do other parts of the ship for a while just leaving that upper stern deck uncompleted. Hopefully this will work out, I really want to complete this project. So appreciate your rapid responses, great to have your help as you lead the way!

Back