New Occre kit

Well friends, I have just purchased this kit, and judging by the comments thus far I am sure most of you think I am a bit soft in the head. I made a mess of the Mantua VICTORY in the early 1990's and so this one is going to get the benefit of my 35+ years of experience. I have built 3 galleons by Mamoli, HMS SPEEDY from Vanguard, Corel's BERLIN, Mamoli's FRIESLAND (built as AMEILIA), ENDEAVOUR, VANGUARD, REVENGE, MERCURY, Model Expo's Pilot Cutter, etc, etc,. I also have Vanguard's INDEFATIGABLE sitting in its box waiting inspiration. No kit is perfect and everything costs more these days, so I am looking forward to this one, a kit is what the builder makes of it, and I will be sure to get a result I am happy to display :)
We are looking forward of your build in a build log on Sos

Well friends, I have just purchased this kit, and judging by the comments thus far I am sure most of you think I am a bit soft in the head. I made a mess of the Mantua VICTORY in the early 1990's and so this one is going to get the benefit of my 35+ years of experience. I have built 3 galleons by Mamoli, HMS SPEEDY from Vanguard, Corel's BERLIN, Mamoli's FRIESLAND (built as AMEILIA), ENDEAVOUR, VANGUARD, REVENGE, MERCURY, Model Expo's Pilot Cutter, etc, etc,. I also have Vanguard's INDEFATIGABLE sitting in its box waiting inspiration. No kit is perfect and everything costs more these days, so I am looking forward to this one, a kit is what the builder makes of it, and I will be sure to get a result I am happy to display :)

Good luck
And a proper unboxing is highly required

Cheers

On the contrary, fair play to you. If the kit ticks boxes for you, then great and I hope you enjoy the journey.

As you say, there is no perfect kit, we make our choice, we pay the money.

I always fancied a go at Euromodels Royal William but they want £1350 plus shipping and taxes now for that kit direct from Italy. In comparison you get more for your money with this kit IMHO.

Some may baulk at my choice in kits, but these choices excite me. Nothing worse than embarking on a project that you started just because it was what everyone else thought you should build, you will soon get bored.

ANY kit can be made into a good model with the appropriate amount of bashing. The sparse and inaccurate framing can be replaced.

Last edited:
$$$ is the bottleneck. At that price, I would like to take a look at the Belona from ZHL.
Belona is a Caf kit I think sold by Zhl too but need to be verified
Yes, the manufacturer is CAF, ZHL is just a seller. But it doesn't matter, even Chinese models are better than this $$$.
This model is probably made there, or in the Philippines, because Spain cannot use wood, only ecological substitutes.

So there's unboxing already

interesting jig to assemble the keel and frame
View attachment 402833View attachment 402834View attachment 402835
Had a look at this Unboxing for what it is and these photos below, but I still don't see £1200 worth in this kit more like a £300 - £400 kit.

FB_IMG_1698424723571.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424732838.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424728064.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424798292.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424744529.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424750419.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424775525.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424739240.jpg

FB_IMG_1698424756159.jpg

Had a look at this Unboxing for what it is and these photos below, but I still don't see £1200 worth in this kit more like a £300 - £400 kit.

View attachment 402884

View attachment 402885

View attachment 402886

View attachment 402887

View attachment 402888

View attachment 402889

View attachment 402890

View attachment 402891

View attachment 402892

Another £300 for the collector coin,
£200 for the box the box itself,
And £300 to cover the 2 years research...

Another £300 for the collector coin,
£200 for the box the box itself,
And £300 to cover the 2 years research...
Yes, Yes. There's a lot of new stuff there, but I don't recognize it all. Is there vaseline between the anchors for "filmmakers"? i.e. "modeling enthusiasts" ? Or maybe it's something like beewax ? IDK.

I'm asking because I don't know whether the slippage in this discussion will decrease or increase. I love this thread ROTF ROTF ROTF

Yes, Yes. There's a lot of new stuff there, but I don't recognize it all. Is there vaseline between the anchors for "filmmakers"? i.e. "modeling enthusiasts" ? Or maybe it's something like beewax ? IDK.

I'm asking because I don't know whether the slippage in this discussion will decrease or increase. I love this thread ROTF ROTF ROTF
It's beewax to waxing the threads ,I don't know way it's needed ...
And yes it's geat thread

Yes, the manufacturer is CAF, ZHL is just a seller. But it doesn't matter, even Chinese models are better than this $$$.
This model is probably made there, or in the Philippines, because Spain cannot use wood, only ecological substitutes.
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but I don't know what you mean by "Spain cannot use wood, only ecological substitutes" Is it a joke, or is there actually a meaning? Thanks!

It's beewax to waxing the threads ,I don't know way it's needed ...
by waxing the thread you eliminate the rope's fuzz. If you take the magnifying glasses and compare before and after 'waxing' you will see the difference. We usually use beeswax on the cotton threads. Polyester threads comes almost without a fuzz, therefore, they don't require 'waxing'.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but I don't know what you mean by "Spain cannot use wood, only ecological substitutes" Is it a joke, or is there actually a meaning? Thanks!
Is not a joke, but is live in European Union.
There is a CITES regulation prohibiting the import of exotic wood.
The European Union government has passed a law that hinders the illegal import of wood. There are regulations regarding permits for importing wood into the European Union. The obligation to register this wood for sale has also been implemented, so it is not profitable in any way. It is cheaper to make the model in China or Philippines.
Spain has a very big problem with this, and producers themselves once said that they were forced to use a wood substitute. Producers are starting to use local factoring or EU market wood as a substitute for exotic ones.
An ecological problem only in the European Union...

So, I decided to purchase this model from Model Shipways Online using the coupon that Ricardo created for me ($1199 for SOS members).

I followed the checkout process which automatically added the extra 33% credit because of the sale that was just announced in the email that a lot of us received today. It reduced my total purchase cost to $938.38. I paid for the item.

Minutes later I received this email from Ricardo:

"Reginald,

I just saw that you ordered the Victory using the coupon that I created for you.

But this coupon was created so you could pay 1199, like we agreed in this series of email. There is no way we can sell it for $938

So we are canceling this order and will return your money on Monday.

Regards,

Ricardo"

My response to Ricardo was the following:

My purchase was made following the coupon that you made for me for 1199. The reduction offered wasn’t even on my radar when it was applied to my purchase. The billing reduction was not my doing and was applied automatically when I paid for the item. You do not have the right to automatically cancel a confirmed and paid transaction without my authorization. Consumers have rights and I am extremely disappointed that you have chosen to disrespect mine. I’m in good faith and have done nothing wrong. I simply purchased an item that I was willing to pay 1199 for. The additional rebate was automatically applied without my control once again. This is not my doing nor my problem.

You need to make this right and honor the transaction.

Reg

Now the Occre HMS Victory is on sale for $1138.83

I am hoping that they honor the finalized transaction and ship the kit to me. In my world when you purchase and pay for an item the merchant has no choice but to send you the item. It is the principle of this that I find low budget. It is not the extra $200 difference as I would pay the amount to be honest, that bothers me as I was willing to pay what was asked of me for the item. When you make a mistake in business, you own it and keep the client happy. You don't treat your clients this way, at least that is how I feel about it.

I have not heard anything from them since.

Back