New Occre kit

Wow, never heard that before. No wonder there was a Brexit, who would want onerous regulations that don't seem to make a lot of sense forced upon your business?
Is there a hardwood shortage? Is that why there are regulations on wood imports? Farming trees for lumber is huge business here in the US and Canada.
There is enough wood, but it is not worth processing it. Problems are created by the desire to artificially save the world only in the European Union. Even if you wanted to buy wood, it's difficult, there are no official shops. Only small local sawmills, but they do not have exotic wood, only local wood. Ecological problem, not growth.

It is probably concern about importing tree diseases. In the UK we have lost nealy all of our (once abundant) elm trees from Dutch Elm disease and "Ash die back" is becoming a concern.
That makes sense. oak blight and dutch elm disease has destroyed many trees here. I have seen most of the elm trees infected and cut down here.

There is enough wood, but it is not worth processing it. Problems are created by the desire to artificially save the world only in the European Union. Even if you wanted to buy wood, it's difficult, there are no official shops. Only small local sawmills, but they do not have exotic wood, only local wood. Ecological problem, not growth.
It was said once by Rush Limbaugh, if you want to preserve a species, eat them. Those animal species that have been used for food have also benefitted from conservation movements to preserve them from extinction. There are exceptions, of course. But the need for wood has created an efficient planting and harvesting business here and in Canada. Unfortunately, hardwood species grow slow, so the demand still exceeds the replanting efforts, but at least people have taken action to manage forests a bit better with replanting operations. In the midwest of the US, we have more trees now than in 1800 because of replanting. I wish they could create a faster way to grow boxwood, because I could use some!

It is probably concern about importing tree diseases. In the UK we have lost nealy all of our (once abundant) elm trees from Dutch Elm disease and "Ash die back" is becoming a concern.
The loss of the great forests in UK and Germany has concerned me for years. It would be great to regrow Sherwood forest and Teuterburger Wald. Make Germany "darkest Germany" once again as the Romans once described it because of the shade of the dense woods.

The loss of the great forests in UK and Germany has concerned me for years. It would be great to regrow Sherwood forest and Teuterburger Wald. Make Germany "darkest Germany" once again as the Romans once described it because of the shade of the dense woods.
I think it was a conscious decision not to regrow the Teuterburger forest because they were worried the army would get lured into it and slaughtered while trying to get into fighting formation... ;)

Well fellow Ship Modellers, I have received my Occre VICTORY kit. There are some good photos of what's in the box posted here already so I don't think more are necessary at this point, prior to commencement of construction. I will say I am impressed by the packaging, the nicest I have ever seen, a solid wood box and individual plastic accessory bins. A nice coin added in, an interesting building tool with ruler, protractor etc, instructions that, bar any errors found during building, look as good as a Vanguard kit, which are excellent, and what looks like good quality wood stock. A nice stand and dolphin fittings included. Was it worth the money? Well, its very, very, nice, but in the box as it is I'd say its overpriced for what you get, at least if you paid full cow direct from Occre like I did. However, if after months and months of work I have enjoyed a trouble free build and it turns out the way I am picturing it in my mind, then I would say it will have been worth it for the fun and satisfaction of the whole experience. I would say that if Vanguard's HMS INDEFATIGABLE came in a presentation like this I would be in heaven as its an incredibly beautiful model kit, placed in a run of the mill cardboard box. Overall, I am happy I bought VICTORY, and if the presentation is an important part of the experience for you, and you can get it at a discount, then I'd say its worth it. If you're thinking about purchasing it, I hope that helps!

Well fellow Ship Modellers, I have received my Occre VICTORY kit. There are some good photos of what's in the box posted here already so I don't think more are necessary at this point, prior to commencement of construction. I will say I am impressed by the packaging, the nicest I have ever seen, a solid wood box and individual plastic accessory bins. A nice coin added in, an interesting building tool with ruler, protractor etc, instructions that, bar any errors found during building, look as good as a Vanguard kit, which are excellent, and what looks like good quality wood stock. A nice stand and dolphin fittings included. Was it worth the money? Well, its very, very, nice, but in the box as it is I'd say its overpriced for what you get, at least if you paid full cow direct from Occre like I did. However, if after months and months of work I have enjoyed a trouble free build and it turns out the way I am picturing it in my mind, then I would say it will have been worth it for the fun and satisfaction of the whole experience. I would say that if Vanguard's HMS INDEFATIGABLE came in a presentation like this I would be in heaven as its an incredibly beautiful model kit, placed in a run of the mill cardboard box. Overall, I am happy I bought VICTORY, and if the presentation is an important part of the experience for you, and you can get it at a discount, then I'd say its worth it. If you're thinking about purchasing it, I hope that helps!
Congratulations.
About the Indefatigable, Chris Watton mentions that it will be a fully rigged model. So far it is just an admiralty model. I don't suppose you know when the fully rigged model will come out?

Congratulations.
About the Indefatigable, Chris Watton mentions that it will be a fully rigged model. So far it is just an admiralty model. I don't suppose you know when the fully rigged model will come out?
Actually the INDEFATIGABLE kit comes with everything you need to build a fully rigged ship, including the plans for rigging and dowels, blocks, etc. The instruction book ends at a completed Admiralty model, which I think was done to get the kit on the market quicker. Since most full rigging on these ships of the line was generic to all, the Admiralty models were not concerned with that part of the ship, just the hull, so I believe Vanguard released INDEFATIGABLE using the same principle.

Congratulations udtpete, I respect your decision and I think you will have a nice time with this model.
I like Occre products, I have always been in favor of their work, but for about 2 years it has been going in the wrong direction. This is how good marketing works, and I noticed that this is what sales are based on. Spam emails, spam discounts, the same model sold twice, remaking old models from the Deagostini collection, puppets from YouTube, writing back literally what you want to hear. Apart from the lab coats and gloves from the presentation and the fact that it's just a remade Santisima Trinidad...

I will say I am impressed by the packaging, the nicest I have ever seen, a solid wood box and individual plastic accessory bins. A nice coin added in,
I will quote my friend from earlier posts:
Another £300 for the collector coin,
£200 for the box the box itself,
And £300 to cover the 2 years research...

I disagree about the model comparison to HMS Ingefatigable.
For me, comparing the HMS Ingefatigable model to this one is not fair to Chris Watton, whom I greatly respect for his wonderful models.
I would prefer the admiralty model without any parts of masts or rigging, and even if I did buy it, I would spend 2x 1000 hours to make the rigging myself, even without plans, even asking for help, relying on opinions of friends from the forum.

Congratulations udtpete, I respect your decision and I think you will have a nice time with this model.
I like Occre products, I have always been in favor of their work, but for about 2 years it has been going in the wrong direction. This is how good marketing works, and I noticed that this is what sales are based on. Spam emails, spam discounts, the same model sold twice, remaking old models from the Deagostini collection, puppets from YouTube, writing back literally what you want to hear. Apart from the lab coats and gloves from the presentation and the fact that it's just a remade Santisima Trinidad...

For me, comparing the HMS Ingefatigable model to this one is not fair to Chris Watton, whom I greatly respect for his wonderful models.
I would prefer the admiralty model without any parts of masts or rigging, and even if I did buy it, I would spend 2x 1000 hours to make the rigging myself, even without plans, even asking for help, relying on opinions of friends from the forum.
Couldn't agree more. I wish I knew about this set earlier,looks wonderful

Well, I did not intend a direct comparison with INDEFATIGABLE, I just meant I wish such a good model came in such a nice package.

Well, I did not intend a direct comparison with INDEFATIGABLE, I just meant I wish such a good model came in such a nice package.
I just understand that, instead of this beautiful packaging, coin and stand, wouldn't you prefer high-quality rigging instead of this ordinary, non-scale cotton? Or at least better quality canvas sails, and not the same ones as in that cheap set ? Then you could start comparing this model to anything "special".

I just understand that, instead of this beautiful packaging, coin and stand, wouldn't you prefer high-quality rigging instead of this ordinary, non-scale cotton? Or at least better quality canvas sails, and not the same ones as in that cheap set ? Then you could start comparing this model to anything "special".
Forget I mentioned it.

Occre announced a new kit on their website. From my local shop I got some more info. It is the HMS Victory with a limited edition. A really high-end model with a matching price. Details
I would love to see an OcCre USS Constitution kit over another Victory as they already flood the market. I'm going to sit to the side and watch someone's Victory build before investing myself.

Actually the INDEFATIGABLE kit comes with everything you need to build a fully rigged ship, including the plans for rigging and dowels, blocks, etc. The instruction book ends at a completed Admiralty model, which I think was done to get the kit on the market quicker. Since most full rigging on these ships of the line was generic to all, the Admiralty models were not concerned with that part of the ship, just the hull, so I believe Vanguard released INDEFATIGABLE using the same principle.
oh ok. I didn't know that. Thanks

Glad to hear! We try to do whatever is reasonable and within our reach. Best Regards!
@Model Shipways Can someone with Model Expo please let me know the status of my order. I have left a couple of messages on the Website and tried calling the phone number listed on BBB Website.
You can message me directly if needed.

Thanks,
Jeff Bradford

@Model Shipways Can someone with Model Expo please let me know the status of my order. I have left a couple of messages on the Website and tried calling the phone number listed on BBB Website.
You can message me directly if needed.

Thanks,
Jeff Bradford

Hi Jeff,

Keep checking your account. The kit will be shipped once they receive the second batch of them from OcCre. I am waiting for mine as well. It may go into the second or third week of December.

Best regards,

Reg

Back