New Occre kit

I really don't understand why, with a zillion other potential ships to model, OcCre would enter a filled market with yet another Victory
The answer is pretty simple: because you cannot lose with Victory kit. A legendary ship, and most people want to build a model of her for their homes. Occre aims, in general, their kits for the average modeler who doesn't even know how the actual frame is assembled, and most likely doesn't care much, IMHO. Most even are not familiar with the terms POB or POF...

I am sure, those kits will be bought in a short period of time. It is only 999 ;) :p BTW, the wooden (plywood) box, the kit comes in, the cost included in the total price. You can store your tools once the model built.

Another question on the sales video, why have white/tan lines for the deadeye rigging? I rarely see it on good models, which brings up the point on how good the plans and instructions are. It says cotton for sales, but what are the rigging lines made of, same old fuzzy string others use or good stuff?

I would be glad to do an unboxing and detail review if Occre wanted to send me a kit.

Another question on the sales video, why have white/tan lines for the deadeye rigging? I rarely see it on good models, which brings up the point on how good the plans and instructions are. It says cotton for sales, but what are the rigging lines made of, same old fuzzy string others use or good stuff?

I would be glad to do an unboxing and detail review if Occre wanted to send me a kit.

For me it's seems that they copy paste from their other models all the rigging method for the sails , wrapping the thread around the yard,And for the masts and top mast as well.

IMG_20231022_075617.jpg

It's a shame that they didn't add in their manual and instructions for the ship to the download section.
AL uploaded all their instructions for the Santísima Trinidad the same moment they launched the model.

It's a shame that they didn't add in their manual and instructions for the ship to the download section.
AL uploaded all their instructions for the Santísima Trinidad the same moment they launched the model.
Artesania Latina doesn't make great models either, most of them are copy-pasted, but you can see that they are trying, and the model is very detailed, there is nothing to hide, you can see all their mistakes.

It's simple, the instructions show every detail, so there are no instructions because its "limited version". A simple marketing trick, because an unthinking buyer cannot question the quality of this model.

Importance is being given to the promotional video, which is a bit naif. I don't think OcCre was thinking of targeting advanced or expert modellers with this video. Neither the video nor the kit.
Let's wait to see a good unboxing.
I would use that much money
buying the AL Victory (now discontinued) which I believe was a correct kit, and the rest for a trip to Portsmouth to visit the ship.

Importance is being given to the promotional video, which is a bit naif. I don't think OcCre was thinking of targeting advanced or expert modellers with this video. Neither the video nor the kit.
Let's wait to see a good unboxing.
I would use that much money
buying the AL Victory (now discontinued) which I believe was a correct kit, and the rest for a trip to Portsmouth to visit the ship.
I recently bought a set from Artesania Latina and inside there is a leaflet showing HMS Victory as a new item. So this model will be very soon :cool:

Hello,
This Victory is beautiful, maybe not for everyone. But historically speaking, the frame looks like nothing.
It's a simplification that's an outrage to the marine carpenters of the time.
What's more, it's made of oak, which takes the wood grain completely out of scale.
The decks are flat, with no curve. Just like in the worst kits.
Everything you shouldn't do if you want to get close to realism.
the person who designed this framework has never seen an old boat in his life.
For 1100€ ...

Bernard

Last edited:
NGL... This roast is bad enough that it's almost an embarrassment to have the OcCre name in the title of my build log right now. ROTF

This one's going to be a black eye for a while. The ultimate case of "stay in your lane", and premium ships isn't theirs.

TOTALLY agree with Zoly, Chris Watton's prototype was outstanding but I don't believe Amati's bean counters will ever allow a model with so many one off fittings and armament. For Amati to break even, you must be talking at least $3000 and I anticipate nearer to $5000 if it remains true to the prototype

This is a diminishing circle for kit manufacturers, the better and more historically accurate the kit, the more the price goes up due to special fittings, reducing potential sales putting the price up even more till you end up with something few will pay for due to the cost.

The hype has killed this kit before/if it comes to market IMHO. People are expecting perfection, that comes at a price, this is equivalent to Bugatti's Veyron which was sold at a loss to the company

Last edited:
I don't think there's a point to count on european companys to make a decent high detaild kit, that will be reasonably priced. Aretasnia is a little light in a tunnel, but still reqires a lot of input and improvments from modeler. Like some other "high-end/premium" kits. Unfortunetyly details cost money or time. So if you want very,very high detail model and have lots of time scratch build is looking at you. From my little experience if you don't have any machines,tools and time I would go with some chineese kit. Even with all cost of buying it's 1/2 of buying wood,machines,plans and materials from 0. Compering to sth like 1/48 Bonhome Richard price level

Well friends, I have just purchased this kit, and judging by the comments thus far I am sure most of you think I am a bit soft in the head. I made a mess of the Mantua VICTORY in the early 1990's and so this one is going to get the benefit of my 35+ years of experience. I have built 3 galleons by Mamoli, HMS SPEEDY from Vanguard, Corel's BERLIN, Mamoli's FRIESLAND (built as AMEILIA), ENDEAVOUR, VANGUARD, REVENGE, MERCURY, Model Expo's Pilot Cutter, etc, etc,. I also have Vanguard's INDEFATIGABLE sitting in its box waiting inspiration. No kit is perfect and everything costs more these days, so I am looking forward to this one, a kit is what the builder makes of it, and I will be sure to get a result I am happy to display :)

Actually I found and watched an advertising video for this model. Looks like the model is very good quality and now well presented. Still expensive though.

Well friends, I have just purchased this kit, and judging by the comments thus far I am sure most of you think I am a bit soft in the head. I made a mess of the Mantua VICTORY in the early 1990's and so this one is going to get the benefit of my 35+ years of experience. I have built 3 galleons by Mamoli, HMS SPEEDY from Vanguard, Corel's BERLIN, Mamoli's FRIESLAND (built as AMEILIA), ENDEAVOUR, VANGUARD, REVENGE, MERCURY, Model Expo's Pilot Cutter, etc, etc,. I also have Vanguard's INDEFATIGABLE sitting in its box waiting inspiration. No kit is perfect and everything costs more these days, so I am looking forward to this one, a kit is what the builder makes of it, and I will be sure to get a result I am happy to display :)
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it when you actually have the kit and are inspecting it. I don't think it will be as bad as most have made it out to be. In fact, I think it will be better than the Plank on Bulkhead kits that are out there but will fall somewhat short of the full on POF kits available. :)

Jeff

Back