HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

I was asleep last night and heard a crash. Knowing it was the cat, ignored it. When I got up, I found the model ship on the floor. Three cannon carriages are broken loose and the stem is snapped off. When I get back home from work, repairs will commence. The kitty too cute to kill, dammit. :(Cautious
Good morning Kurt. Eish I know the feeling. At least it’s not too bad and it’s just some extra work. Mine still sits with me when I build but extra precautions are taken. Cheers Grant

The last demi-culverin drakes for the upper gun deck broadsides were installed, including gun tackles. The stern structure needs to be planned and framed before the two stern chase guns are installed for this deck. Working the guns is fun, but it's time to work on something else on the ship for a while.

View attachment 353882

Progress so far
View attachment 353883
What an awesome pic of your ship

Your work is very impressive , Going to take me awhile to catch up on the log ;)

So, I'm curious, Kurt. How did you fish out the internal guns? Did the recoil ropes and gun rigging hold them somewhat in position? Did any come off completely and you had to refi them? Or did you just have to reposition them upright and reglue them?

So, I'm curious, Kurt. How did you fish out the internal guns? Did the recoil ropes and gun rigging hold them somewhat in position? Did any come off completely and you had to refi them? Or did you just have to reposition them upright and reglue them?
I couldn't fish them out. They are totally buried, the risk you take making complete guns on the lower decks. They were kept in place by the breeching lines and gun tackles, just like on a real ship. I had to apply PVA glue to the lower area of the front of the carriages with a wooden craft pick, wipe excess glue off the bottom of the gun port with a cotton swab, then clamp them in place with the levers made from wood strips and rubber bands and let them dry overnight. You have to be clever in devising a method of holding the guns in place, hence the long wood strips, pressing the guns to the deck. None of the gun carriages had broken breeching ropes that I could tell. The upper section of the hull was protected from damage by "Kitty Shield V1.0", the plywood cover i made to keep the cats from crunching the ladder railing and other deck gear. Damage recovery took a few hours. I really need to make Kitty Shield v2.0.

1412 Re-Glue Cannons After Cat Damage.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't fish them out. They are totally buried, the risk you take making complete guns on the lower decks. They were kept in place by the breeching lines and gun tackles, just like on a real ship. I had to apply PVA glue to the lower area of the front of the carriages with a wooden craft pick, wipe excess glue off the bottom of the gun port with a cotton swab, then clamp them in place with the levers made from wood strips and rubber bands and let them dry overnight. You have to be clever in devising a method of holding the guns in place, hence the long wood strips, pressing the guns to the deck. None of the gun carriages had broken breeching ropes that I could tell. The upper section of the hull was protected from damage by "Kitty Shield V1.0", the plywood cover i made to keep the cats from crunching the ladder railing and other deck gear. Damage recovery took a few hours. I really need to make Kitty Shield v2.0.
Ingenious fix!

I hope through my own mistakes, I save others pain. Thanks Kurt. I've now decided when I mount my guns on the 1st gun deck, I will fix then with brass pins, through the carriages and into the deck. Gun tackle will not be an issue.

Sorry to read about your feline catastrophe, but at the same time, thanks! BTW, great solution rectifying the issue.

Will kitty shield v2.0 have a patent? I think it should be patent #15952. Great idea for using the opposite gunports for cantilever.

Back