HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Kurt, I really love the scale of your companionway balusters. These look pitch-perfect!
Thanks HH. The smaller the scale you model is, the more out of scale the small parts seem to be. You have to look for options on modeling the small parts like balusters and blocks. The comes a point where you get frustrated added details on small models and go 1:48. I'm not there yet because I'm stupidly stubborn. :D

Many hours later, more gun tackles and rope coils were added to the demi-culverin drakes that are on the waist. Many more to go. If I didn't want to rig so many guns, I'd have built a sloop.

View attachment 352721
That is looking fantastic Kurt. The scale is among the best I have seen at this size (1:84?). A tribute to your perseverance and skill!

Thanks Paul! Loved your Wasa model professional photographs! The scale is closer to 1:78 according to measurement of the keel length of the model. Today more gun tackles were made, but since I'm waiting on more 1.5mm blocks, the gun tackles for demi-culverin drakes hidden under decks in the forecastle and under the halfdeck are made using 2mm blocks like the ones on the middle gun deck. For those guns installed to far, all the gun tackles and rope coils were finished.

Assembling left and right gun tackles. I've made a lot of these, and they are going together much faster now.
1404 Fabricate More Gun Tackles With 2mm Blocks.jpg

More gun tackles ready to install.
1405 Fabricate More Gun Tackles With 2mm Blocks.jpg

Guns in the lower forecastle.
1406 Completing Gun Tackles With Rope Coils.jpg

Progress so far
1407 Progess So Far.jpg

Thanks Paul! Loved your Wasa model professional photographs! The scale is closer to 1:78 according to measurement of the keel length of the model. Today more gun tackles were made, but since I'm waiting on more 1.5mm blocks, the gun tackles for demi-culverin drakes hidden under decks in the forecastle and under the halfdeck are made using 2mm blocks like the ones on the middle gun deck. For those guns installed to far, all the gun tackles and rope coils were finished.

Assembling left and right gun tackles. I've made a lot of these, and they are going together much faster now.
View attachment 353164

More gun tackles ready to install.
View attachment 353165

Guns in the lower forecastle.
View attachment 353166

Progress so far
View attachment 353167
1.5mm and 2.5mm blocks? Currently I draw the line at 3mm, amazing you can manage those even smaller block sizes.
A very noteworthy build, my compliments.

Fabrication of carriages for demi-culverin drakes for upper gun deck broadside gun ports 10 and 11 was started. The parts were cut using a band saw, assembled and glued, then the carriages were painted. What's left is to install train tackle eyebolts and rings, breeching line eyebolts and rings, and gun tackle eyebolts. Then the carriages will be washed with brown panel liner to dull the red color a bit like previous carriages. The barrels and caps will be glued on, breeching lines installed, and then the guns will be glued to the deck in their gun ports and gun tackles installed. The carriages were test fit with their barrels in the gun ports to check barrel angle and clearances.

1409 Making Carriages for Demi-Culverin Drakes in Ports 10 & 11.jpg

Marking bolt heads
1410 Marking Bolts in Trucks.jpg

After painting with trucks and quoins installed.
1411 Painted With Quoins & Trucks.jpg

Fabrication of carriages for demi-culverin drakes for upper gun deck broadside gun ports 10 and 11 was started. The parts were cut using a band saw, assembled and glued, then the carriages were painted. What's left is to install train tackle eyebolts and rings, breeching line eyebolts and rings, and gun tackle eyebolts. Then the carriages will be washed with brown panel liner to dull the red color a bit like previous carriages. The barrels and caps will be glued on, breeching lines installed, and then the guns will be glued to the deck in their gun ports and gun tackles installed. The carriages were test fit with their barrels in the gun ports to check barrel angle and clearances.

View attachment 353609

Marking bolt heads
View attachment 353610

After painting with trucks and quoins installed.
View attachment 353611
Were the laser cut wheels supplied with the kit, or did you purchase them from elsewhere, Kurt?

I was asleep last night and heard a crash. Knowing it was the cat, ignored it. When I got up, I found the model ship on the floor. Three cannon carriages are broken loose and the stem is snapped off. When I get back home from work, repairs will commence. The kitty too cute to kill, dammit. :(Cautious
Sorry to hear that Kurt, must have been a tough sight after all your hard work.

I feel for you Kurt.
One of our cats starts to push things from the table too when she is out of food.
I hope everything can be fixed again.

Back