HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

To help cure the paint get a small table top electric oven (don’t use the Admirals unless you want to be keelhauled) and set outside and give them low heat to dry out. Many paints don’t like the humidity of winter!

To help cure the paint get a small table top electric oven (don’t use the Admirals unless you want to be keelhauled) and set outside and give them low heat to dry out. Many paints don’t like the humidity of winter!
Are you responding to a very old post, Kurt? There IS no humidity in MN in winter, probably the same there in Oklahoma.

Are sturgeon good to eat?
Oh yeah, sturgeon is excellent, especially smoked. It is a living dinosaur right there with crocodiles. The meat is not like a flaky fish texture. It is more solid and white also. Limit is 2 per year. I am 0 for 2 last year but caught fish over size limit. Fun times until you have to release your 53" fish! We do not keep females for caviar, we release them to breed for the future. Look up Columbia River sturgeon, they are awesome creatures. Take care... SOS is looking good.

More gun tackles were made from 1.5mm boxwood blocks and rigged in the starboard side demi-culverin drakes.

View attachment 352394

View attachment 352395

View attachment 352397

View attachment 352396
Apart from the attention for detail and the beautiful installation of the guns, what amazes me is that the “high rises” at the stern are still there, not broken off at some point or other incurred damages. Something similar in my shipyard would have resulted in major damage...

Absolutely beautiful! I’m going to use your rope coil trick. I like the way those look.
I once tried taking the bitter end of one of the gun tackle falls and coiling it on the deck with glue, but it turned into a sticky mess. It was impossible to get the line to lay flat in a tidy coil even with glue. Preparing coils separately is the way to go here.

Apart from the attention for detail and the beautiful installation of the guns, what amazes me is that the “high rises” at the stern are still there, not broken off at some point or other incurred damages. Something similar in my shipyard would have resulted in major damage...
The sides of the stern castle are three layers of planking thick and are quite strong. What one has to watch out for is snagging and breaking loose any of the gun barrels on the sides of the model. Applying glue using a long piece of wire to the bottom of each trunnion to reattach it to a carriage, or applying glue to a loose carriage on the front so it will adhere to the bulwark is a very difficult affair, especially for the lower gun deck. I think I'd rather attempt brain surgery... on myself... than fix any more carelessly dislodged guns. :rolleyes: After fixing 5 of them, I've gotten REALLY careful when working closely on the hull. Now that work is being done on the upper deck, and not deep within the hull on the lower deck gun on the hull interior, things are easier to reach and accidents are less likely.

I once tried taking the bitter end of one of the gun tackle falls and coiling it on the deck with glue, but it turned into a sticky mess. It was impossible to get the line to lay flat in a tidy coil even with glue. Preparing coils separately is the way to go here.
Yup, destroyed the finish on my deck too. Had to refinish it and it went downhill from there. I tried doing it off of the ship by coiling it up on tape and using wood glue to hold it in place, but it didn’t work as well as I hoped it would. I like the way yours look better.

I wasn't planning on it, oldflyer, because I need an opening to insert the borescope into. From the main hatch, you can look at two levels below the weather deck. I could make a removable set of gratings or just leave the grates on the deck next to the open hatch. What do you think?
Good morning Kurt- definitely no cover. Make the gratings and see what they look like next to hatch. May be a unique and nice look. Cheers Grant

I still can’t get over how tiny those guns are. Better thee than me!
Yeah, rigging the gun tackles takes HOURS. I figure that since the weather deck gets viewed the most, the guns had better look as good as you can make them at whatever skill level you're at. I still marvel at those modelers who are so neat that the ship looks like new. Some of that is they use better wood like pear, which yields a better finish, but most of it is raw skill and not painting over the lines, dropping glue onto a clean deck, using too much glue on joints, staining rigging knot and lines with glue, and putting fingerprints of paint and glue all over the place.

Yeah, rigging the gun tackles takes HOURS. I figure that since the weather deck gets viewed the most, the guns had better look as good as you can make them at whatever skill level you're at. I still marvel at those modelers who are so neat that the ship looks like new. Some of that is they use better wood like pear, which yields a better finish, but most of it is raw skill and not painting over the lines, dropping glue onto a clean deck, using too much glue on joints, staining rigging knot and lines with glue, and putting fingerprints of paint and glue all over the place.
Been there and done ALL of that.

Back