HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Kurt, Over the top PERFECT PS: you are hereby forbidden to cover with grating :D

View attachment 351815
I wasn't planning on it, oldflyer, because I need an opening to insert the borescope into. From the main hatch, you can look at two levels below the weather deck. I could make a removable set of gratings or just leave the grates on the deck next to the open hatch. What do you think?

Slow tedious work making gun tackles and installing them continues. I used the remaining gun tackles which have 2mm blocks on the bow chase fortified culverin drakes. I'm saving the remaining 1.5mm blocks I have to make gun tackles for those guns visible on the weather decks at the waist, forecastle, and halfdeck. Guns inside the forecastle and under the halfdeck will get tackles made with 2mm blocks. I may not have enough 1.5mm blocks to make tackles from.

Here is the process of installing the gun tackles. There are two ways of roving the gun tackles, left and right, and they are rove such that the fall always exits the double block from the sheave outboard of the gun carriage on each side. I am not sure if this was done on all naval carriages, but it seems the neatest way to prevent tangles in the gun tackle falls. The gun tackle is hooked to the carriage first, and then to the eyebolt on the bulwark using tweezers and while wearing a 4x magnification headset. You will notice my close-up pictures use the iPhone are getting better, because I'm learning! :D
1389 Hooking Gun Tackle on Bulwark.jpg

Tackle hooked in place
1390 Gun Tackle in Place.jpg

Carefully tighten the tackle by drawing the fall through the blocks, gripping the line from each pass to draw it taut. If you just draw the bitter end of the fall, you will bend or break the hooks.
1391 Tighten Tackle Using Tweezers.jpg

The fall is now taut. Use a black Sharpie marker to color exposed copper on the hooks and eyes if the black has been worn off.
1392 Tacklle Tightened.jpg

Apply some PVA along the bottom of the fall with a stick and cut the fall to length, ending about 5mm behind the carriage.
1393 Apply Glue to Tackle Fall.jpg

Both falls are glued to the deck, as is the breeching line in certain spots in order to hole the line draped in a realistic fashion.
1394 Falls Glued to Deck.jpg

Wrap the left over line you cut off of the gun tackle, about 12cm long, around the rubberized handle of a diamond needle file, after first tying the thread to the file handle with only one turn of an overhand knot. Keep the tthread wet with glue as you wrap all the remaining line around the handle.
1395 Making Rope Coil With PVA Glue.jpg

With the glue on the coil still tacky, use the tweezers to carefully slide the coil off the handle and press the entire coil flat.
1396 Finished Rope Coil.jpg

Glue the coils over the bitter ends of the gun tackle falls. This gives the appearance of the gun tackle fall and coiler as being one continuous length of rope.
1397 Glue Coils Over End of Fall.jpg

Here are the complete bow chase fortified culverin drakes. These will not be visible without a borescope, but I know they're there, and that's what counts. Thumbsup
1398 Installed Gun Tackles on Bow Chase Fortified Culvering Drakes.jpg

Last edited:
Captain’s choice. Which way are you leaning? You tend to have excellent judgment on building ship models. (Reference the grates)
I glued the grating sections and crossbeams for them to the deck, or else I would lose them. As often happens, parts fall into the open hatch and go *tinkle tinkle* down into the orlop deck. I'm in the habit of picking up the entire model, holding it upside down, and shaking out the loose parts to get them back. So, gluing the grates to the deck will make sure they don't get lost. You run into interesting issues like this while making models. :D

Where are the hammocks for the crew? Where are the ram rods, powder barrels and cannon balls? Shouldn't there be some trash from scuzzy old sailors? If I could even come close to your build, I would be happy.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their generous comments, even Vic, who is encouraging me to add even more detail, probably because he's curious if there's a threshold beyond which I'll experience a mental breakdown. ROTF Thanks for the challenge, Vic. It only makes the model better. Also thanks to the lurkers, who never make comments in this build log but read along (is you have any ideas or advice, SAY something).

The bow chase fortified culverin drakes were installed. All of these lighter guns will have half trucks with a few exceptions.
View attachment 351712

For the broadside guns visible in the waist, the line used for the breeching lines were replaced with line supplied by Syren Shipyard. This is a huge improvement over the leftover Corel line I had been using up to this point.
View attachment 351713

The first few demi-culverin drakes were installed on the upper deck broadsides.
View attachment 351714

Here is a close-up of one of them.
View attachment 351715

The waist demi-culverin drakes look nice, especially considering how small they are. The real challenge will be making the gun tackles as usual.
View attachment 351716

Here are the guns installed so far.
View attachment 351717

Progress so far
View attachment 351718

View attachment 351719

View attachment 351720
Good morning Kurt. Man that thread from Syren is brilliant. . Makes a massive difference to already fantastic cannons. Kudos - the detail while driving you mad is making this ship. Cheers Grant

I glued the grating sections and crossbeams for them to the deck, or else I would lose them. As often happens, parts fall into the open hatch and go *tinkle tinkle* down into the orlop deck. I'm in the habit of picking up the entire model, holding it upside down, and shaking out the loose parts to get them back. So, gluing the grates to the deck will make sure they don't get lost. You run into interesting issues like this while making models. :D
I've had that happen with cannons. I lost one permanently.

Back