HMS Ajax 38 gun frigate. Euromodel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello, Good of you to drop by, and thank you for your interest and many likes.

This is just an update showing were I’m up to with the rigging. I’m really struggling, I’m sure that you know the mistakes that can be made, from sharp scalpel amongst the rigging, crossed lines only seen when tensioned, errant blocks etc. well I’ve made them all but I’m slowly getting there and can see an end. As you know this will be my version of a late 18th century frigate rig and not an actual one, you will see errors and please don't count the granny knots, but nobody here will know, they’re all landlubbers, I just want to get through it with the least hassle.

There isn’t enough cord supplied in the kit and although it is a nice quality I was disappointed that only light coloured was included, dyeing is messy and isn’t fun, again penny pinching.

View attachment 391244

View attachment 391245

View attachment 391246

View attachment 391247

View attachment 391248

View attachment 391249

View attachment 391250

View attachment 391251

View attachment 391252
Looks fantastic.

We need a tutorial on how to keep ratlines so straight and even.

Hello, Good of you to drop by, and thank you for your interest and many likes.

This is just an update showing were I’m up to with the rigging. I’m really struggling, I’m sure that you know the mistakes that can be made, from sharp scalpel amongst the rigging, crossed lines only seen when tensioned, errant blocks etc. well I’ve made them all but I’m slowly getting there and can see an end. As you know this will be my version of a late 18th century frigate rig and not an actual one, you will see errors and please don't count the granny knots, but nobody here will know, they’re all landlubbers, I just want to get through it with the least hassle.

There isn’t enough cord supplied in the kit and although it is a nice quality I was disappointed that only light coloured was included, dyeing is messy and isn’t fun, again penny pinching.

View attachment 391244

View attachment 391245

View attachment 391246

View attachment 391247

View attachment 391248

View attachment 391249

View attachment 391250

View attachment 391251

View attachment 391252
A impressive rigging job, Ken. She is going to look very nice with those contrasting ropes.
Regards, Peter

Looks fantastic.

We need a tutorial on how to keep ratlines so straight and even.
Hi Jeff, I’m afraid that I’m not the one to give lessons. I’ve tried suggested methods but I find that it’s best for me just to do the lines then take a few minutes to carefully line them up by eye before sealing them to the outer shrouds, I think that the eye is pretty good at seeing symmetry in repetitive patterns, and if it looks right it is right. Many years ago I was given a tour of the Rolls Royce factory in Crew, I saw the uprights being hand soldered into their trademark grill without any guide, the craftsman explained that an experienced eye could detect perfect symmetry better than anything, if it’s good enough for Rolls Royce it’s good enough for me.

Hello, Again a small update on my progress with the rigging. I have now completed all of the bowsprit and spritsail rigging, it came out quite well and it’s encouraging to see a whole area finished.

When I first looked at the rigging plan I saw that it showed most of the rigging on one sheet with no progressive steps, just a mass of lines that you needed to work out what they’re for, where they go and with all script in technical Italian terms, it would have been easier to crack the DeVinci code. As I have mentioned before I decided to devise a different easier rig copied from models that have at hand so what you see is 60% HMS Fly, 20% Agamemnon, 10% Ajax and 10% HMS Ken. Now on to the mizzen area.

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Hello, Again a small update on my progress with the rigging. I have now completed all of the bowsprit and spritsail rigging, it came out quite well and it’s encouraging to see a whole area finished.

When I first looked at the rigging plan I saw that it showed most of the rigging on one sheet with no progressive steps, just a mass of lines that you needed to work out what they’re for, where they go and with all script in technical Italian terms, it would have been easier to crack the DeVinci code. As I have mentioned before I decided to devise a different easier rig copied from models that have at hand so what you see is 60% HMS Fly, 20% Agamemnon, 10% Ajax and 10% HMS Ken. Now on to the mizzen area.

View attachment 391626

View attachment 391627

View attachment 391628

View attachment 391629

View attachment 391630

View attachment 391631
Looking very nautical to this landlubber’s eyes.
I just checked and your recent purchase has been with your friends at UK Customs for a few days. I guess it takes a while to add up all the fees, taxes, and surcharges.

Looking very nautical to this landlubber’s eyes.
I just checked and your recent purchase has been with your friends at UK Customs for a few days. I guess it takes a while to add up all the fees, taxes, and surcharges.
Thanks for that Paul, as I mentioned, the only things certain in life are taxes and ……….

Hello All. Again thank you for the many likes that you are giving me, it’s motivating to know that members are reading about my building efforts especially that most of you are very accomplished ship modellers.

Another short update, this time showing the rigging I’ve done on the spanker gaff and boom, the only difficulty that I had was getting the tension right as when tightening one lift another slackened, it was a continual juggling act but it came out okay in the end.

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

Hello All. Again thank you for the many likes that you are giving me, it’s motivating to know that members are reading about my building efforts especially that most of you are very accomplished ship modellers.

Another short update, this time showing the rigging I’ve done on the spanker gaff and boom, the only difficulty that I had was getting the tension right as when tightening one lift another slackened, it was a continual juggling act but it came out okay in the end.

View attachment 391782

View attachment 391783

View attachment 391784
Dear Ken
it's looks so beautiful! very impressive :) Okay

Reactions: Ken
I can fully underline the words by Shota and all other before.
Everytime when I see an update of your building log, I am wondering that you never damage your beautiful model transporting the model from your workshop outside to make the impressive photos in sunlight ....
Or do you work on your model in the garden?
and I thought, that in the UK it is often raining, but in your garden the sun is everytime shining......

View attachment 391626

View attachment 391627

View attachment 391628

View attachment 391629

View attachment 391630

View attachment 391631
Good morning Ken. That is neat, tidy and comprehensive rigging on the bowsprit. Very similar to the Victory. Cheers Grant

Hi Ken.
You are doing a grand looking bit of rigging on your Ajax, I particularly like your crowsfeet, it is always difficult to get the acute angle of the cordage through the euphroe block looking just right but you have done a great job. The whole ship looks really good. Great work.

Cheers JJ..

I can fully underline the words by Shota and all other before.
Everytime when I see an update of your building log, I am wondering that you never damage your beautiful model transporting the model from your workshop outside to make the impressive photos in sunlight ....
Or do you work on your model in the garden?
and I thought, that in the UK it is often raining, but in your garden the sun is everytime shining......
Hi Uwek. Your right in thinking that it rains a lot here, I'm looking out of my window now and this is what I see, this is why I get a lot of modelling time. Yes my garden looks sunny in my photos, I wait for it to stop raining and rush out to get some shots before it starts raining again. I must add a thankyou for the time and effort that you put into the running of this forum without which we couldn't share and enjoy our hobby as much. Happy modelling. Ken

_M0W4791.JPG

Hello, A short update, I have now completed all of the mizzen rigging except for the lower yard braces. I'll do all the lower ones last as I find that they limit access quite a bit.

Note in my pics, the sun is not shinning, it's only just stopped raining!

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

My other toy.

125.jpg

Hello, A short update, I have now completed all of the mizzen rigging except for the lower yard braces. I'll do all the lower ones last as I find that they limit access quite a bit.

View attachment 392010

View attachment 392011

View attachment 392012

My other toy.

View attachment 392013
Jeez Ken, An Enfield with disc brakes and girling shocks, who would have thought it. My first bike was a 350 trials around 74 and about tenth hand when I got it, loved it 'til I got an x-race Aermacchi ( the dogs ***** ). Wish I had it now I'd be rich. Boat looks great btw. Cheers JJ.. you made my day

View attachment 392010

View attachment 392011

View attachment 392012

My other toy.

View attachment 392013
Hi Jack, Good to know that there are other oldie kindred spirits still around, I started in the 60s and have had more bikes than hot dinners, with few exceptions I wish that I still had them, though probably would need rose tinted specs.
At 76 this will probably be my last, but at least I’ll grow old disgracefully, notice the straight through piles, ahh that sound. Ken

Back