HMS Ajax 38 gun frigate. Euromodel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Reactions: Ken
Hello, Once again thanks for visiting my Ajax build and for your likes and comments.

I’ve now finished the rigging, another milestone. I was surprised how much easier it was doing it freehand rather trying to follow a given plan, looking at it, it appears to have ended up pretty much the same, I think only the knowledgeable would find fault. I need to tidy up the tying off points and make up the many rope coils needed. Now all that is left are the anchors, ships boats and lanterns before I move on to my next build.

There is a lot of rigging to show, I found it difficult to be selective so I’m afraid I’ve included rather a lot of pics.

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

Hello, Once again thanks for visiting my Ajax build and for your likes and comments.

I’ve now finished the rigging, another milestone. I was surprised how much easier it was doing it freehand rather trying to follow a given plan, looking at it, it appears to have ended up pretty much the same, I think only the knowledgeable would find fault. I need to tidy up the tying off points and make up the many rope coils needed. Now all that is left are the anchors, ships boats and lanterns before I move on to my next build.

There is a lot of rigging to show, I found it difficult to be selective so I’m afraid I’ve included rather a lot of pics.

View attachment 392505

View attachment 392506

View attachment 392507

View attachment 392508

View attachment 392509

View attachment 392510

View attachment 392511

View attachment 392512

View attachment 392513

View attachment 392514
Great looking rigging, ship and photos. Well done in all cases!

This just looks amazing Ken! The ability to rig for function rather than from plans demonstrates a deep understanding of ship operations. Good luck hanging all the rope coils. I added many ‘along the way’ and even then access was very challenging.
Hi Paul. Thanks, good of you to say so. I’ve chosen my method of making the coils, a Peter Voogt post, it’s working out quite well, but you’r right in saying access to some of the belaying pins is very restricted, I’ve made all manner of tools to help with just this but it’s still a pain. Ken

Hello, A short update, I have now completed all of the mizzen rigging except for the lower yard braces. I'll do all the lower ones last as I find that they limit access quite a bit.

Note in my pics, the sun is not shinning, it's only just stopped raining!

View attachment 392010

View attachment 392011

View attachment 392012

My other toy.

View attachment 392013
Without sun you get a fine diffuse light, the best for making nice soft pictures. And your model deserves it, Ken. The rigging is impressive!
And also of course your ‘old looking’ Enfield ( with ABS?).

View attachment 392505

View attachment 392506

View attachment 392507

View attachment 392508

View attachment 392509

View attachment 392510

View attachment 392511

View attachment 392512

View attachment 392513

View attachment 392514
But with the sun and this progress…. also very nice.
Regards, Peter

Without sun you get a fine diffuse light, the best for making nice soft pictures. And your model deserves it, Ken. The rigging is impressive!
And also of course your ‘old looking’ Enfield ( with ABS?).

But with the sun and this progress…. also very nice.
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter, Thanks for that. At the moment the weather is strange, it’s either raining or full sun, if I need to show my progress I’m stuck with the weather of the moment, one day it’ll be just right for photography, hopefully.

View attachment 392505

View attachment 392506

View attachment 392507

View attachment 392508

View attachment 392509

View attachment 392510

View attachment 392511

View attachment 392512

View attachment 392513

View attachment 392514
Good morning Ken. Brilliant job on her rigging. I was looking at your Victory the other day (an impressive build) and you certainly understand the rigging of these British ships. Cheers Grant. Ps did you design and paint your garage door…We won’t get lost finding your house ;)

Good morning Ken. Brilliant job on her rigging. I was looking at your Victory the other day (an impressive build) and you certainly understand the rigging of these British ships. Cheers Grant. Ps did you design and paint your garage door…We won’t get lost finding your house ;)
Hi Grant, Thanks for the compliments, they are very much appreciated. I don’t think that it’s me that understands the rigging more than others, it’s just the fact that pretty much all late 18th century English frigates we’re rigged exactly the same with only very minor differences so if you have a good example to follow it’s easier than trying to decipher a complicated plan. Yes I designed and painted my garage door. From where we sit we look out across our garden at the garage, it was rather bland and uninteresting in just one colour, in a moment of madness I painted that scene, I’d never done anything like that before and have never done it again, I was surprised that I had it in me, I hadn’t expected such a good result. Ken

Garage%20Door.jpeg

Hello again. Here’s an update on my version of rope coils. These can be very awkward to fit in place and getting them to hang looking natural due to the restricted access caused by all the rigging. Peters’ way didn’t work for me, I liked the concept but couldn’t get the coils to hang as I'd like so I used a more simple method. I know that it is technically wrong but at this scale they look ok to me. I made up the coils, by wrapping the cord around a scalpel handle, a touch of cyno was used to stop them unravelling. As you can see from my picture of my rigging tools I have a very long handled pair of locking forceps, I use these to just hang the whole coil over the belaying pin then put downwards pressure on it, I put a drop of cyno on the pin rail edge which then holds it down in a natural hanging position, simple. By using this type of forceps along with the curved ones that I’ve shown you don’t need to get your hand into the rigging which for me often caused issues.
I’ll have all the coils finished by the end of the day, meanwhile I’m waiting in for a rather exciting parcel, watch this space!

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

Last edited:
Ken, your Ajax is really lovely. I think your pictures show off your work so well - you have a great eye for a photo - and it’s almost as if I was sitting on your lawn admiring her.

I have enjoyed your diary as well. For me at least, a log is so much more than just a description of the steps to build a ship. Your Ajax has quite a story behind her and we are all lucky enough that you have shared it with us.

I’m glad you decided to finish Ajax and am looking forward to whatever you decide to do next.

Kind regards

Salty

Ken, your Ajax is really lovely. I think your pictures show off your work so well - you have a great eye for a photo - and it’s almost as if I was sitting on your lawn admiring her.

I have enjoyed your diary as well. For me at least, a log is so much more than just a description of the steps to build a ship. Your Ajax has quite a story behind her and we are all lucky enough that you have shared it with us.

I’m glad you decided to finish Ajax and am looking forward to whatever you decide to do next.

Kind regards

Salty
Hi Salty, Thank you very much for those words, they mean quite a bit to me, your comment alone made it worthwhile doing my log. Ken.

Back