HMS Ajax 38 gun frigate. Euromodel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello. Just a short update. The rigging continues to go well and fairly quickly with no more issues. The pictures show all the lower rat lines now completed, I'm very pleased with the result. Next will be the euphroes', I always get myself into a confused tangle with these.

View attachment 387915

View attachment 387916

View attachment 387917
That is a quick and wonderful re-do and completion of the lower ratlines, Ken. A nice contrast between the shrouds and ralines.
Regard, Peter

That is a quick and wonderful re-do and completion of the lower ratlines, Ken. A nice contrast between the shrouds and ralines.
Regard, Peter
Hi, yourself and Paul echo my feelings on the rat line appearance. I feel good when I can sit back and things look how I’d hoped they would be, it encourages me to continue apace, especially when you get others approval, so thanks.
Ken

Ken,
What always amazes me, is that you usually work with only what the kit provides (within reason), and yet your outcome is always beautiful. Which shows me execution is more important that any flashy components. You know the old saying, "You can sprinkle gold on poop, but it's still poop!" ROTF

Hi Dean, Thanks very much for that kind compliment. I tend not to add aftermarket stuff on my models as the costs starts to stack up, I haven’t a local model shop so postage can make things expensive. I find that I just enjoy the building rather than trying for accurate historic detailing, that way I can move on and not get hung up about things. Each to their own criteria for a build, but I do appreciate some of the inspiring builds on this forum yours included.
Ken

Hi Dean, Thanks very much for that kind compliment. I tend not to add aftermarket stuff on my models as the costs starts to stack up, I haven’t a local model shop so postage can make things expensive. I find that I just enjoy the building rather than trying for accurate historic detailing, that way I can move on and not get hung up about things. Each to their own criteria for a build, but I do appreciate some of the inspiring builds on this forum yours included.
Ken
I understand your approach, and it’s sensible! Several times I have added components and costs to ship builds, and you can go down the rabbit hole if you are not careful and double or triple the cost of the model! ;)

Reactions: Ken
Hello and welcome. Again thanks for you comments and likes, they are much appreciated.

The rigging is moving along but not without beginner’s mistakes, two steps forward and one step back.
All the shrouds went on quite well, I was pleased and hurriedly moved on to the ratlines which were easy enough, just repetitive. When I’d completed the port fore set and took the time to look at them I realised that the lines were too dominant, they looked too light in colour and too thick in diameter. I could have carried on but I know that I would have regretted it so I took the plunge and did what was necessary. I’d sealed the lines to the shrouds so I had to cut away that complete section and re-do it. It proved quite difficult getting the new shrouds to sit in their correct order and under the forestays, but I eventually managed it satisfactorily and I’m now ready to start the ratlines once again but this time with the correct thread.

The start of my first attempt

View attachment 387670

The offending version

View attachment 387671

Now the start of the re-made version showing all the shrouds

View attachment 387672

View attachment 387673View attachment 387674

View attachment 387675
Good morning Ken. Stunning build. I agree if something as prominent as ratlines don’t make you smile chop them off before it’s too late. A big redo Ken, but look beautifully done in your last photos. You owned it. Cheers Grant

Good morning Ken. Stunning build. I agree if something as prominent as ratlines don’t make you smile chop them off before it’s too late. A big redo Ken, but look beautifully done in your last photos. You owned it. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant. As I said I feel good about it. You've been doing a bit of catching up so thanks for your likes, given the efforts that you put in on your builds they are appreciated.

Hello, Thanks for visiting my build of Ajax. Again a bit more progress. I've done the lattice between the main stays and completed two of the euphroes and will do the mizzen one next. They weren't difficult but as I expected very confusing in getting the run of the cords right, when I was thinking that all was well I would see crossed lines, and incorrect runs, on the first attempt after thinking that I had got it beat I even ran short of thread, I was surprised at just how much it took, but they came out quite well.

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

Hello and welcome back to my build. I have now finished off the euphroes; I have completed the upper shrouds and have managed to do the port side ratlines. All is going nicely; another day will see this part of the rigging done. Hands up all those that enjoy doing the ratlines. I didn’t think so, me neither.

I think that this build will probably take about another eight weeks, I can then move on to my next project. Take a look at what the modelling gods have let me have! I will of course do a build log, for me it’s something different.

Thanks for visiting.

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

045.jpg

Hello and welcome back to my build. I have now finished off the euphroes; I have completed the upper shrouds and have managed to do the port side ratlines. All is going nicely; another day will see this part of the rigging done. Hands up all those that enjoy doing the ratlines. I didn’t think so, me neither.

I think that this build will probably take about another eight weeks, I can then move on to my next project. Take a look at what the modelling gods have let me have! I will of course do a build log, for me it’s something different.

Thanks for visiting.

View attachment 388371

View attachment 388372

View attachment 388373

View attachment 388374

View attachment 388375
Awesome work Ken your Ajax looks fantastic on the lawn we should all take our models out more often.
I'm really looking forward to your next project it was on my shortlist a few years ago. Can I book my seat now?
Tony

Awesome work Ken your Ajax looks fantastic on the lawn we should all take our models out more often.
I'm really looking forward to your next project it was on my shortlist a few years ago. Can I book my seat now?
Tony
Hi Tony, Thanks for that, my work space is in a small dull north facing room so when I photograph my models there they come out looking flat and lack definition but if I photograph outside in natural sunlight they come alive, have shadows and look much better. I need all the advantages that I can get to get them looking as good as most of the excellent models shown here. Ken

Hello and thanks for taking an interest. Just another short update, I’ve done the bobstays and bowsprit shrouds. The bow area is starting to look more complete with some rigging in place. The rigging looked daunting at first but as lines are done there is then less to do and it starts to make sense, so for me I feel that I’ve just about cracked the standing rigging.

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

Hi Ken, I had some catching up to do with your build. She is a beauty and I'm happy to see you continued to work on her.
Also love the next project which is a Xebec. These ships has such grandeur! I hope you will post a buildlog of Mystique.

Happy modeling,
Peter

Hi Ken, I had some catching up to do with your build. She is a beauty and I'm happy to see you continued to work on her.
Also love the next project which is a Xebec. These ships has such grandeur! I hope you will post a buildlog of Mystique.

Happy modeling,
Peter
Hi Peter, Thank you for your kind comments, I’m also happy that I re-started Ajax, I went into a bit of a directional wilderness with my modelling, tried a bit of everything, I ran out of ideas and just picked up Ajax again for something to do but not with a great deal of enthusiasm, I just wanted her finished, but once I got going I found my mojo again and realised that this is really what I enjoyed regards to modelling so I’m truly onboard again, I also realised that I missed this forum, posting and following, it really is a friendly place.

At the moment I fully intend to do a log on the Mystique, it looks good quality and an interesting build but as you know until you actually start there can sometimes be other builds that tug at your heart, so watch this space. Ken

Thanks for visiting.

View attachment 388371

View attachment 388372

View attachment 388373

View attachment 388374

View attachment 388375
Good morning Ken. She looks beautiful. Lovely pics on the lawn. Your snake ( lattice) between the main stays is spot on. I remember how I struggled with these on the Victory. Ahhh ratlines….these are a mission yet add so much to the ship once done- looking good. I am super glad you are joining the Xebec club with your Mystique. These Xebecs are fun ships to build and there are not too many Mystiques around with the square rigging on the main mast- good choice. I look forward to your log. Cheers Grant

Hello and welcome once again. I have just reached a milestone, all of the standing rigging is now complete, or at least I think so. The only casualty being the flagstaff which I snapped off along with its mounting, easy enough to re-make and having spotted on my last pictures the slack bobstays I re-tensioned them, they now look better. Next will be the making and fitting out of the spars, so something other than rigging. The weather has improved so I’m going to take a couple of days off from modelling, perhaps some much needed work in the garden. Thanks for watching.

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

Back