HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Congratulations on your choice for the next project. Non-Dutch but certainly beautiful lines. I wish you good luck and many wonderful hours spent on this project.
Thank you so much Herman. I think the lines are what first attracted to me first to this ship. Her history, apart from being the ship sent out to capture the HMS Bounty's mutineers, is unremarkable and there is not much to tell. From a research point of view, there will be precious little if any, compared to anyone of my previous builds. The upside to that, is that I can concentrate on the build.

Wow, that is an incredible choice for your next build. I've pulled my chair in anticipation of another great build log.

Jan
Thank you very much, Jan. I think it will be a great model to build to which an incredible amount of detail can be added - limited only, I think, by the talent of the builder. The idea, however, is not to veer off the kit's path and to build it as close as possible to the instructions.

Very good choice IMHO
Let me see, five years on your new/current contract. That should be enough time for you to complete the project :)
However, knowing how you work I’m sure it will be finished before that.
Thank you very much for the nod of approval, Ron. Even though my time is extremely limited these days, I should be able to finish her well before that time. I know it may be a question of famous last words, but I am not going to include any rigging on this model. I intend to build it only with mast stumps, a bowsprit, and (maybe) chainplates and deadeyes.

Dear Friends

I am excited to tell you about the choice of my next build. There are so many great modeling subjects out there that it took some time to sift through all the favorites. However, when it came to the final choice, Admiral Anna was very clear about what her choice was and a day or so later, (most of the time I am a lot slower than her), I also came around to see the light of the day. ROTF This does mean that I will be building a non-Dutch, non @Kolderstok kit which may come as a surprise to some, but I just think that the time has come to do something different and to experience different construction methods.

And when I mention @Kolderstok, I have to mention the unbelievable support and friendship of Hans. I do not think that it is humanly possible for someone to have given me more support than Hans has - he will always remain a friend and I will always remain a @Kolderstok fan. Therefore, customer service also played a huge part in my final choice of kit, and I am very happy to say that @wuxiaomeng Wuxi from @Modelship Dockyard has been amazing in that regard. He has very graciously and patiently answered all my many questions and has addressed all my concerns more than satisfactorily. Because of my location, help is literally a WeChat message away which counts for a lot in my book.
View attachment 426892

Modelship Dockyard 1:72 HMS PANDORA (Pear Wood)

View attachment 426894

View attachment 426895

View attachment 426896

View attachment 426897

View attachment 426898

View attachment 426899

View attachment 426900

All photographs were kindly supplied by @Modelship Dockyard

At this point there is no timeframe as to when exactly I will start the build, but it will probably be in July (God willing).

Thank you all for sharing this moment with me - as always it is an honor to have friends like you.
A good choice for this nicely lined model, Heinrich. And last but not least: Anna helps decide.
Looking forward to the start of the build-log.
Regards, Peter

A good choice for this nicely lined model, Heinrich. And last but not least: Anna helps decide.
Looking forward to the start of the build-log.
Regards, Peter
Thank you for the thumbs-up, Peter. This build will widen my horizon with regards to construction methods, different skill sets and working and dealing with different materials, but above all, Anna loves it!

By the way, while I have you on the line, what glue do you use to glue the Evergreen?

By the way, while I have you on the line, what glue do you use to glue the Evergreen?
On Monday I am back home from my short holiday, Heinrich. Then I can show it specific. I though it was Faller Expert. It has also a long needle point for very fine dosage.
I just bought a new package and can tell you which substances the glue works on.
Regards, Peter

Hello Heinrich,
that's wonderful news that your contract has been extended, I'm happy for you. To Pandora, great choice, great ship. I see it's 1:72 scale, a challenge, half the size I build. I'm looking forward to an interesting journey with Pandora and Heinrich as the builder.

On Monday I am back home from my short holiday, Heinrich. Then I can show it specific. I though it was Faller Expert. It has also a long needle point for very fine dosage.
I just bought a new package and can tell you which substances the glue works on.
Regards, Peter
Thank you, Peter - that sounds interesting!

Hello Heinrich,
that's wonderful news that your contract has been extended, I'm happy for you. To Pandora, great choice, great ship. I see it's 1:72 scale, a challenge, half the size I build. I'm looking forward to an interesting journey with Pandora and Heinrich as the builder.
Thank you for the very kind words, Tobias. Aaahh, the question of scale ... in my discussions with @wuxiaomeng Wuxi, he actually mentioned the forthcoming Enterprise in 1:48 scale which would have been a great build as well. The reality though, is that I live in a 120 sq. meter apartment and the absolute maximum length that I can work with is approximately 750cm. Pandora has a hull-only length of 580 cm and with rigging that increases to 850cm which is one of the reasons why I elected to build the ship as a hull-only model. If this had been a scratch-build (like your builds are), the scale would have been too small, but seeing this is a kit with all components pre-designed and manufactured, it should help a little. Interestingly, the 1:96 scale enterprise is Modelship Dockyard's most popular model in China.

That looks loke a beautiful ship to build Heinrich, we wish you and admiral Anna much fun and good times building this
Thank you very much, Peter. The prototypes clearly show that the kit has the potential to build into a beautiful ship. It's up to me whether I can do it justice. Seeing that there will be no rigging, I am the only one who will be doing the building, but I know that I can count all the way on Anna's support. That is enough for me.

Nice choice Heinrich, a ship with colours :)
I see lots of small details to keep you busy, looking forward to watching your progress once you get started.

Nice choice Heinrich, a ship with colours :)
I see lots of small details to keep you busy, looking forward to watching your progress once you get started.
Thank you for the well wishes, Richie! yes, it is a very different ship from what I have been used to, but that is the point - to expand the horizons and to learn more about different construction methods. I look forward to you joining in when I start.

Good choice Heinrich, looking forward in anticipation!
Thank you very much, Mark. I look forward to when I can start the build. At the moment though, I have to wait for the Chinese New Year Holidays to end before I can even purchase the kit.

Back