HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Dear Friends

I am excited to tell you about the choice of my next build. There are so many great modeling subjects out there that it took some time to sift through all the favorites. However, when it came to the final choice, Admiral Anna was very clear about what her choice was and a day or so later, (most of the time I am a lot slower than her), I also came around to see the light of the day. ROTF This does mean that I will be building a non-Dutch, non @Kolderstok kit which may come as a surprise to some, but I just think that the time has come to do something different and to experience different construction methods.

And when I mention @Kolderstok, I have to mention the unbelievable support and friendship of Hans. I do not think that it is humanly possible for someone to have given me more support than Hans has - he will always remain a friend and I will always remain a @Kolderstok fan. Therefore, customer service also played a huge part in my final choice of kit, and I am very happy to say that @wuxiaomeng Wuxi from @Modelship Dockyard has been amazing in that regard. He has very graciously and patiently answered all my many questions and has addressed all my concerns more than satisfactorily. Because of my location, help is literally a WeChat message away which counts for a lot in my book.
View attachment 426892

Modelship Dockyard 1:72 HMS PANDORA (Pear Wood)

View attachment 426894

View attachment 426895

View attachment 426896

View attachment 426897

View attachment 426898

View attachment 426899

View attachment 426900

All photographs were kindly supplied by @Modelship Dockyard

At this point there is no timeframe as to when exactly I will start the build, but it will probably be in July (God willing).

Thank you all for sharing this moment with me - as always it is an honor to have friends like you.
This will be a nice project

my dear friend Heinrich
congratulations for your new contract are in order my friend. it's beautiful start for the Chinese New Year, for you and your Admiral :)
The model for the next project Pandora is an excellent choice and we will be happy to follow your high quality construction process.
happy new year indeed :D

Dear Friends

I am excited to tell you about the choice of my next build. There are so many great modeling subjects out there that it took some time to sift through all the favorites. However, when it came to the final choice, Admiral Anna was very clear about what her choice was and a day or so later, (most of the time I am a lot slower than her), I also came around to see the light of the day. ROTF This does mean that I will be building a non-Dutch, non @Kolderstok kit which may come as a surprise to some, but I just think that the time has come to do something different and to experience different construction methods.

And when I mention @Kolderstok, I have to mention the unbelievable support and friendship of Hans. I do not think that it is humanly possible for someone to have given me more support than Hans has - he will always remain a friend and I will always remain a @Kolderstok fan. Therefore, customer service also played a huge part in my final choice of kit, and I am very happy to say that @wuxiaomeng Wuxi from @Modelship Dockyard has been amazing in that regard. He has very graciously and patiently answered all my many questions and has addressed all my concerns more than satisfactorily. Because of my location, help is literally a WeChat message away which counts for a lot in my book.
View attachment 426892

Modelship Dockyard 1:72 HMS PANDORA (Pear Wood)

View attachment 426894

View attachment 426895

View attachment 426896

View attachment 426897

View attachment 426898

View attachment 426899

View attachment 426900

All photographs were kindly supplied by @Modelship Dockyard

At this point there is no timeframe as to when exactly I will start the build, but it will probably be in July (God willing).

Thank you all for sharing this moment with me - as always it is an honor to have friends like you.
Good morning Heinrich. Now that is something to look forward to. Cheers Grant

my dear friend Heinrich
congratulations for your new contract are in order my friend. it's beautiful start for the Chinese New Year, for you and your Admiral :)
The model for the next project Pandora is an excellent choice and we will be happy to follow your high quality construction process.
happy new year indeed :D
Thank you for the kind words, my dear friend. I am really keen on trying a new construction method which is certainly a high-quality one.

Hello Heinrich,

I got the kit last year as birthday prese from my wife. I see that I have a lot to read in your log, before I will start.
Hello Christian and a big welcome. I'm not sure if you are referring to the model of the Willem Barentsz or the Pandora. If it is the latter, I will probably only start on her in July, if it is the Willem Barentsz, then yes, there is a lot to read. :D

By the way, while I have you on the line, what glue do you use to glue the Evergreen?
Back home, and the result:
It's 'Faller Super-Expert' (170490).
1707740687394.png
It softens the surface a bit. You can move the parts around for a while. Once dry it gives a very strong bond that is even very difficult to cut loose again. It has a needle point for supplying tiny drops. But 'Revell Contacta Professional' is almost te same. A big plus+: it does not glue (on) your fingers.
If not for sale in China, the glue is based on "Aceton + n-butyl acetate".
For direct contact glueing I use the small tubes of 'Pattex Uni-Papide' (thin) and for a few second more time and a bit of a filler the 'Bison Colle Seconde' (Gel). Both cyanoacrylates.
I also use Raboesch poly profile strips, but the Faller glue does not work well on that surface. Then I use the Pattex and Bison.
PS: Chloroform works also and does also give a tide bond. But then you have to ventilate very well.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Peter thank you so much for that wealth of information. That is the one thing about the impending build that I do not look forward to. I simply do not like CA in any form or configuration, but here I will have no choice. I have also asked both Wuxi and @Thomas Marocke Thomas for their advice, so between the three of you I have a very good base of what to start looking for. Thank you, once more!

Hello Christian and a big welcome. I'm not sure if you are referring to the model of the Willem Barentsz or the Pandora. If it is the latter, I will probably only start on her in July, if it is the Willem Barentsz, then yes, there is a lot to read. :D
I mean your really, really, really long build log about the Witte Swan.
If you need some background information about the 28 gun frigate, let me know. I did a lot of research in the past years for another 28gun frigate HMS Triton.
I know that Enterprize and Triton are part of different classes, but a lots of parts and details are similiar or the same.

Now that looks like a very nice choice for your next build Heinrich. Beautiful lines, non-Dutch, no rigging and you get to enjoy some colourful painting too :D.

I will definitely be following along.
Thank you, Roger - I am glad that you like my choice. You have summed up my reasons for choosing it very well. I regard you as an indispensable member of my close support team, so you have no choice - you will just have to follow along.

Hi Heinrich Just spent a few hours catching up on your mighty saga, it must give you a warm glow to know how well thought of you are and the interest shown towards your next project. I fall in four-square with the rest and agree with your choice. By coincidence I bought, and put away for later, VM's HMS Sphinx, class name for the twenty gun frigate type that Pandora was developed from. I had done this before Pandora was released and may well have been swayed towards her had I known. I wish you great enjoyment in you build I of course will be an avid spectator.

All the best JJ..

Back