HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

In that case you have one mighty cat Don, we have an American Ragdoll and that wil be about 18.5 Pounds.
And that is already HUGE
Hi Peter. I was wondering how much Clyde weighs - you and Don have two tigers there! :D I have joined the "cat club" by adopting a street boy kitten and about a month later, Anna rescued a kitten who also lives with me now. Boy, oh boy these young ones are a handful!

Hi Peter. I was wondering how much Clyde weighs - you and Don have two tigers there! :D I have joined the "cat club" by adopting a street boy kitten and about a month later, Anna rescued a kitten who also lives with me now. Boy, oh boy these young ones are a handful!
Heinrich my friend, you don't have to wonder anymore8,5 kilogram, so roughly 18,5 pounds, and he is HUGE

DSCN5383.jpg.JPG

Asit is sitting there, it looks just any other cat, but if he stretches out, he is more than a meter long,

i can't tel for sure, because every time i want to take a meusurement, he is gone.
Perhaps i can get a foto of him lying long very long.
But now you are having two kittens, your WB's must be placed very secure my friend.

DSCN5260.jpg.JPG
This television is 60 centimeter high my friend, and he can get much higher as he is now..

Last edited:
Heinrich my friend, you don't have to wonder anymore8,5 kilogram, so roughly 18,5 pounds, and he is HUGE

View attachment 424412

Asit is sitting there, it looks just any other cat, but if he stretches out, he is more than a meter long,

i can't tel for sure, because every time i want to take a meusurement, he is gone.
Perhaps i can get a foto of him lying long very long.
But now you are having two kittens, your WB's must be placed very secure my friend.

View attachment 424413
This television is 60 centimeter high my friend, and he can get much higher as he is now..
He is beautiful!

Welcome back Heinrich, to me I think you are the beating heart and sole of SOS so it was great to hear from you again.
No need to reply just keep doing what you need to do and I look forward to your regular return here when you can.
Dear Richie, my friend. Once more I am humbled at such kind words. It is wonderful to be back and to see what everyone has been up to. I can assure you that I am itching to build "something", but I have to be realistic for now. That doesn't stop me from daydreaming, though! :D

Dear Friends

For the first time in a long while I visited https://www.debarentsz.nl - the official website of the replica. The following was taken directly from the website and pertains to the first sea-trials:

Sea-Trials.png

230907_WS overzee.jpg
230909_WS onder zeil.jpg
230818_WS onder zeil (8).jpg
230909-zeilvaart(32).jpg
230909-zeilvaart(41s).jpg

These are lovely pictures - and even though I have been highly critical of the build at times, no one should underestimate Gerald De Weerdt and his team's achievement. Congratulations are certainly in order.

What I find very interesting is how the ship presents itself at sea. Viewed from some distance and placed in perspective, she appears wider/ more squat and not as highly built-up at the stern as the plans would suggest.

230907_WS overzee.jpg

Wow, those are great photos. It's great to note that the sailing characteristics are what the builders envisioned. Thank you for posting the photos.

Jan
According to Ab's book, the little ship had superb sailing characteristics - able to use full sails (without reefing) in winds of up to 5.7 Beaufort (if memory serves me correctly) and would have reached approximately 8 knots - faster than many a man-o-war fifty years later!

According to Ab's book, the little ship had superb sailing characteristics - able to use full sails (without reefing) in winds of up to 5.7 Beaufort (if memory serves me correctly) and would have reached approximately 8 knots - faster than many a man-o-war fifty years later!
I'm not much of a sailor and have little knowledge of what's required to sail these little vessels or even a little punt . I'm constantly amazed how those early "explorers" managed to conquer the elements and venture into the unknown. Especially considering that some were convinced the the Earth was flat and one could fall off the far edge.

Jan

You all know the “Duyfken” was a similar ship.
I just finished reading the latest book by Graeme Cocks: Through darkest seas. This book is all about the building of the Duyfken and the voyages which have been made with this ship.
One of the main characteristics of this ship was/is her superb sailing quality and the ability to reach a speed up to seven knots.
Small, but fast. These were real yachts!

I can recommend this book to everyone!
image.jpg
Isbn 978-0-9925078-3-1

Hans

I'm not much of a sailor and have little knowledge of what's required to sail these little vessels or even a little punt . I'm constantly amazed how those early "explorers" managed to conquer the elements and venture into the unknown. Especially considering that some were convinced the the Earth was flat and one could fall off the far edge.

Jan
You mean it isn't flat. :eek:
Oops, sorry, I didn't see RDN"S previous post

You all know the “Duyfken” was a similar ship.
I just finished reading the latest book by Graeme Cocks: Through darkest seas. This book is all about the building of the Duyfken and the voyages which have been made with this ship.
One of the main characteristics of this ship was/is her superb sailing quality and the ability to reach a speed up to seven knots.
Small, but fast. These were real yachts!

I can recommend this book to everyone!
View attachment 424675
Isbn 978-0-9925078-3-1

Hans
That sure looks like a great read, Hans - thank you for sharing. You are absolutely right - the Duyfken was by all accounts an excellent ship which clocked up an incredible number of nautical miles on her journeys. I also think she was a very pretty little ship.

Dear Friends (I hope I still have the privilege of calling you that.)

The past number of months have been some of the most challenging in my life. With the grace of our Heavenly Father, it was fortunately not a case of ill health, death in the family or problematic relationships – no, it was simply a case of workload and added responsibilities related to my work.

Some of you may recall that I mentioned that a well-known international automotive company was setting up a production plant in Nantong and that we were vying for the privilege of accommodating their children in our school and that I was doing loads of preliminary work to facilitate that. Well, to cut a long story short, the parents chose one of the other “International Schools” only to find out a short while later that they had a made a grave mistake.

And that was when all hell broke loose. I had a month and a half to re-do our “sales pitch” rewrite our syllabi to accommodate the Brazilian and Swedish students and to incorporate their home curricula into ours. Then there were the practical implications of relocating the international department of the school to a different section in the building which have bigger classrooms, buying an additional 56-seater school bus, get permission from local government and the traffic department to implement new routes, advertise for, interview and appoint new teachers, etc, etc.

I realized that this was a 24/7 job if we were going to be ready in time and that there would be no room for any “me-time” or anything that pertained to hobbies, socializing and/or personal interests. It meant the end of all WB research, kayaking and – unfortunately – also SOS. To add to matters, I was also appointed as Academic Director of the International Department which also meant that the Mathematics-, Chemistry and Physics departments all became my responsibility too.

I know that I should have announced it on SOS, but decided to make clean break from everything. For my lack of communication, I apologize from my heart. For all the unanswered messages, concerns, PMs and the like, I can only say I am deeply sorry. The problem was that if I answered one, how could I not answer the others? I am by no means trying to justify my actions – just to inform you what happened.

Schools closed on Friday for the mid-year and Chinese New Year holidays, the students are settled in and have twee weeks of tuition under their belts, and, in retrospect, things have gone (reasonably) smoothly. Even though it is holidays, there is still no rest for the wicked as there are a few backlog things that need to be sorted out. However, for now I have the time to make contact with all my SOS friends – and to apologize once more.

I hope you can forgive me.

I still love you all!

H
Good morning Heinrich. Nothing to forgive. This is an amazing career opportunity for you so kudos. Cheers Grant

Methinks that with a superbly detailed logbook (from front cover to back page - 160 pages in total), it makes a compelling argument for my next build!

LOG COMPLETE.png

Just for fun I have included some recipe details.

Recipe close-up.jpg

Back