H.M.S Minerva plank on frame 1/48 scale - Prototype Pilot Model

Happy birthday, Brian! I look forward to following your progress when the latest frames arrive.

Hello Brian, Do you have any news from the HMS Minerva frames that you have been waiting for ?

Hello,
thanks for your interest. I have been away on holiday in Sri Lanka for the last month, and just catching up with my messages.

I am soon to receive the latest set of frames from China, and ebony wales for the model. They should be posted to me soon and then I can continue my build log.

Heres a few photos Dahai model sent me. cheers.

1689645164812.png1692065382581.png1693668262676.png

Hi,
Due to some of my reasons, this project has been delayed for several months. Say sorry.
The components in Chapter 2 have been processed, and Brian hopes to use ebony instead of boxwood. Originally, I considered sending the wooden strips (thin boards) of ebony to Brian, but I would like to prepare a second plan for him, which may help him with his assembly work. After all, the manual processing and assembly of wale with hooks, including the bending of the wooden strips, it may be very very difficult....

Firstly, I used software to flatten the surface of wale, which is somewhat similar to modern shipbuilding.

1693932886435.png
This is a software calculation. In theory, when the plane is bent, it can be restored to the original surface. I have slightly machined a concave arc on the inner side of the wale component to better fit the hull. But all of this needs to wait for Brain's experimental results.
1693933112386.png
1693933583620.png

Then I am making necessary checks and modifications to the assembly drawings, I think the components will be sent out soon.
1693933464106.png

Oh wow, the surprises and nuances of this kit have no end!
Love it and oh to be a fly on Brian's wall!

Ahoy shipmates,
very excited to receive a parcel delivery today from Dahai models China. It's the latest instalment of frames, building jig and planking for H.M.S Minerva.

A few photos below of all the frames to be assembled. I cannot wait to recommence my build.

cheers.

1695745025276.png1695745926211.png1695569437029.png

Hello @Bryian and @DaHaimodel ,
the kit is going to be a very exclusive piece and I hope a great success too. I am relatively new to POF building and would like to see more monographs of the English ships. Would it be feasible to buy just the plans and a manual to do the self build?
Hi,
Due to some of my reasons, this project has been delayed for several months. Say sorry.
The components in Chapter 2 have been processed, and Brian hopes to use ebony instead of boxwood. Originally, I considered sending the wooden strips (thin boards) of ebony to Brian, but I would like to prepare a second plan for him, which may help him with his assembly work. After all, the manual processing and assembly of wale with hooks, including the bending of the wooden strips, it may be very very difficult....

Firstly, I used software to flatten the surface of wale, which is somewhat similar to modern shipbuilding.

View attachment 392972
This is a software calculation. In theory, when the plane is bent, it can be restored to the original surface. I have slightly machined a concave arc on the inner side of the wale component to better fit the hull. But all of this needs to wait for Brain's experimental results.
View attachment 392973
View attachment 392976

Then I am making necessary checks and modifications to the assembly drawings, I think the components will be sent out soon.
View attachment 392975

For the choice of wood I would use black hornbeam instead of ebony, it is much nicer to work with and looks very good.

Back