H.M.S Minerva plank on frame 1/48 scale - Prototype Pilot Model

the kit is going to be a very exclusive piece and I hope a great success too. I am relatively new to POF building and would like to see more monographs of the English ships. Would it be feasible to buy just the plans and a manual to do the self build?
Hi Tobias,
Scratch build will definitely become a reality, but we need to wait until the prototype is completed and the complete drawings are organized. Perhaps a brand new sales method will be adopted, which is the basic kit. The basic kit includes manuals, photos, drawings, and basic components, such as carving sets and complex components, but the number of components will be very small and the price will be competitive.

All of these plans may need to wait until Brian has completed at least the main hull, and then make decisions based on the needs of the members.

Thank you!

Ahoy shipmates,
very excited to receive a parcel delivery today from Dahai models China. It's the latest instalment of frames, building jig and planking for H.M.S Minerva.

A few photos below of all the frames to be assembled. I cannot wait to recommence my build.

cheers.

View attachment 398302View attachment 398303View attachment 398304
Hi Brian, This kit has a me too written all over it. It seems to have created a great deal of interest, do you think that there would be enough members interested in it for a group build if it goes to market, just a thought. Ken

To me, this kit seems to fill a unique market niche. Quality being the paramount feature. I can see where different version offerings increasing the sales opportunities. Where the kit is offered almost like an ala carte menu.
Maybe like;
Base kit.
Base kit + certain fittings.
Base kit + certain fittings + guns
Base kit + certain fittings + guns + carvings
Base kit + certain fittings + carvings only

I can see modelers using this kit to bridge kit > scratch. I certainly would be getting on the sales list as soon as it is available.
Can you tell I'm really excited?? ROTF

Hello gentleman,
I cannot speculate when this kit will be commercially available, but looks like things are moving along quickly now. I communicate regularly with Dahai model and he has recently purchased a new state of the art cnc machine for production of parts.
I would be hoping that Dahai model can crank up production in the next few months. There should be multiple options for the modeller to choose, from a basic kit with plans and decorative carvings through to a full kit. And then there would be options on the timber you would like.
It’s a big expensive kit, but the very best in the business so start saving for it guys.
Cheers

Hello gentleman,
I cannot speculate when this kit will be commercially available, but looks like things are moving along quickly now. I communicate regularly with Dahai model and he has recently purchased a new state of the art cnc machine for production of parts.
I would be hoping that Dahai model can crank up production in the next few months. There should be multiple options for the modeller to choose, from a basic kit with plans and decorative carvings through to a full kit. And then there would be options on the timber you would like.
It’s a big expensive kit, but the very best in the business so start saving for it guys.
Cheers
Hi Brian, Building it over the plan must require quite a bit of bench space, in your opinion just how much area is needed for this method. Ken

Hello Ken,
with regards to bench space, the model itself is 1 metre long including the stem. I purchased a melamine building board from the local hardware store measuring 1300mm x 600 mm which gives me room to slide the building jigs around as required. I laminated the plans for protection from dust and glue.

IMG_6394 (2).jpgIMG_6395.jpg

Hello Ken,
with regards to bench space, the model itself is 1 metre long including the stem. I purchased a melamine building board from the local hardware store measuring 1300mm x 600 mm which gives me room to slide the building jigs around as required. I laminated the plans for protection from dust and glue.

View attachment 398633View attachment 398634
Hi Brian. Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I think that you are giving us an excellent overview of this model, great for helping us make an informed decision about any future purchase. I can only hope that they make the same effort when it comes to the building plans, guide and instrucations, as these are sometimes an afterthought. Ken

A little bird told me that you might be on this website. I have spent an hour going through every page in this build log. I am blown away by the quality of this kit and your work. However, it must be frustrating to wait for the parts to arrive, which seems to be a recurring theme in this log. Are you planning to partially plank it and rig it?

Hello Keith, long time no see…

I will soon update my build log as I’m just finishing off faring the hull. It will be partially planked leaving exposed areas showing the frames.
Things are moving along now at a rapid rate. Dahai model has invested in the latest cnc milling machines to speed up production.
Thanks for your interest.

I am not familiar using this variety of wood before. ( Jujube wood ) I have noticed its a beautiful cheese yellow colour, but after sitting in my workshop for some time, its turned pink.
Sandpapering it has exposed the original yellow colour. I hope things don't change when I apply the clear finish.

Witaj
Piękna praca a kolor drzewa po czyszczeniu się wyrówna i po nałożeniu oleju czy też innego preparatu na jaki się zdecydujesz będzie wyglądał dobrze. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Beautiful work and the color of the tree will even out after cleaning and will look good after applying oil or any other preparation you choose. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Back