H.M.S Minerva plank on frame 1/48 scale - Prototype Pilot Model

Thanks guys for the comments. Its going to be a slow build as I need to wait for Dahai model to process parts for me.

Anyway, I have assembled the building jig for the mid section of the hull. Now I am starting on assembling the mid section frames. More to follow and thanks for your interest.

View attachment 355219View attachment 355220View attachment 355221
Dear bryian
The ship is starting to get its beautiful configuration, well done to you for your impressive work as well as the model designers Okay Thumbsup :)

Thanks guys. I am currently assembling frames in a production run and will post an update tomorrow.

Dean, with regards to this kit, it will be sold as a 2 part stern assembly, or a 3 part full hull model. There is also the option of Pear wood or Chinese Jujube wood but thats very pricey.

Patiently awaiting an update… ;)
This looks like a great kit! However I assume it will be sold as an entire kit in the future?
If I am not mistaken, the Minerva designed (still work in process) as the full hull, and the Stern section POF (Plank On Frame) kits. Each kit will be divided into multiple chapters, as Brian. mentioned above. The framing and all other structural parts in both versions of kits are unique processing and replicate as close as possible framing design. Both kits will require higher skills and knowledge to assemble. Definitely NOT kits for beginners.
Although there was a discussion with the developer\owner @DaHaimodel to make a hybrid version of the kit (very popular world those days), where the top portion, above the waterline, will be POF e.g. actual frames, and the bottom portion of the hull will be POB e.g. bulkheads. This kit should be targeted a wide audience of modelers, but still required moderate skills and a couple of models built under the belt. Personally, I think it would be a great idea...but as of this writing (3.11.2023), it is not clear whether DaHai will pursue this route.

BTW, I tagged DaHai Models, and he may respond himself with clarity.

Thank you everyone!
This project may be quite different from some traditional kits.
A POF kit similar to scratch build, including stern section and a Georgian-style POB similar to HMS Princess Royal 1773. As Jimsky said, these projects are in the development and prototype stage.

But I didn't copy HMS Princess Royal. I redesigned bulkhead, which is completely different from the POB kit on the current market and has a concept of semi-POF.

I think Semi-Kit may be provided in the future. Semi-Kit only provides drawings and carving sets. Then, if necessary, it can provide parts that are difficult to make by hand. This can greatly reduce the price.

Thank you everyone!
This project may be quite different from some traditional kits.
A POF kit similar to scratch build, including stern section and a Georgian-style POB similar to HMS Princess Royal 1773. As Jimsky said, these projects are in the development and prototype stage.

But I didn't copy HMS Princess Royal. I redesigned bulkhead, which is completely different from the POB kit on the current market and has a concept of semi-POF.

I think Semi-Kit may be provided in the future. Semi-Kit only provides drawings and carving sets. Then, if necessary, it can provide parts that are difficult to make by hand. This can greatly reduce the price.
Thank you for the confirmation DaHai

I have been waiting for what seems to be forever for this one. Looks like the wait will continue... ;)

All the best DaHai!
We are all waiting...However, making the kits is not the primary job of DaHai. He does the development as a hobby and this requires some spare time like for some of us who are still employed and have to work to support families and our hobby :cool: Imagine, that one day you will see this kit on sale, How happy will you be?

hi guys,
been at the workbench again this week assembling frames. I am on the home stretch now with 80 % of the frames assembled.

Note the great and unique building jig brackets. It allows for an accurate alignment of frames corresponding to the vertical elevation of the plans. Its simple but very affective in my opinion. Some building frames are over engineered and don't allow you to get to the frames easily.

cheers guys.

tempImagebguvAo.pngtempImagen5THOh.png

Paul,
I cannot offer any advice about the difference between the frame width of both models. Although they are both 1/48 scale, I assume one is British and the other French.

Back