H.M.S Minerva plank on frame 1/48 scale - Prototype Pilot Model

Hello friends,
I have taken a break from sandpapering the frames and started to lay out the wales. These pieces are African Blackwood which are CNC cut into individual segments.
The thickness of the wales are 4mm, so thats going to be a challenge bending them round the bow.
I am experimenting with bending a few scrap pieces using various techniques and will post my results soon.

IMG_0328.jpgIMG_0327.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very impressed... CNC-based model produced such quality parts. The building Jig is well... fantastic. I can't wait to see this model on the market.
Please soon, I can't barely wait.

Hi!
At present, many modelers will choose "hot air blower" first - I really don't know how to call it in English. Especially suitable for hull planking. It can adjust the temperature of the wind from 50 to 650 degrees Celsius.

360截图20231020114354361.jpg

Then, using steam can easily bend even 6mm wooden strips.

1697774064288.png
Simply put, you can use some of the things in the kitchen
1697774082866.png
I conducted a simple and quick test, bending a 5.7mm wooden strip. If auxiliary tools are used, thick wooden strips can be bent easily.
1697774144981.png

One small question. Are you planning for a mats + rigging version? I'm such a fan of full rigging ship.
Yes, in the plan. A portion of the design and some components have been completed. The inspiration for the structure comes from the internal structure of the model at the Naval Academy Museum in the United States, but it is different, redesigned, and completely different from the structure of the kit currently on the market. However, in the end, prototype testing is required first.

Hello friends,
I have taken a break from sandpapering the frames and started to lay out the wales. These pieces are African Blackwood and CNC cut into individual segments.
The thickness of the wales are 4mm, so thats going to be a challenge bending them round the bow.
I am experimenting with bending a few scrap pieces using various techniques and will post my results soon.

View attachment 401308View attachment 401309
Good morning Bryian. That is so cool to have the Blackwood. Always so much nicer than painting or staining the wood black. Beautiful work so far. Cheers Grant

Hello Bryian, great achievement.
For the construction of La Palme, the plan was also to use ebony. I soaked it in water for 3 days (3mm thick), after the 5th try I left it, it always broke around the bow. I then switched to black hornbeam, with which I achieved a very good result.

Back