cost of the hobby

i agree i am building the Matthew with just basic hand tool not counting the laser cutting but it has been established many builders want the big fancy 64 gun ships. But even those out of the box do not require a lot of power tools maybe a Dremel is about it.
I can build model ships. I have a sanding block. Thumbsup

i kind of got off the path here about quality or scratch vs kit i have seen some models out of the box that were really good. and some ugly scratch projects so kit vs scratch is a washout. Quality comes in both catagories. both require skill to accomplish a well done model.

this hobby might of gotten a little off track and focused on the higher end $1,200.00 kits expensive tools and materials. Bring it all back down to earth and focus on the beginner the novice to intermediate builders make it an affordable hobby. Both younger generation and the older generation are not going to jump in with outragious start up costs, and yes the shipping which is often more than the parts your buying. If everyone is calling this a "hobby" then it should be reasonable for everyone.
i know RC guys invest $18,000.00 in scale model jets who actually hire experenced people to fly them now that is no average mans hobby. do we want this hobby to go in that direction?

there is no issure with a master class of builders to inspire and teach but they are not the majority and should not be the focus of the hobby. The beginner and intermediate builders are the focus
All i am saying dont go telling a beginner he needs a $750.00 hobby saw or he has to do the research or dont bother wasting your time "better models through research" do you have any idea the time and money it takes to do reserch? that is pure hogwash better models start from the beginning easy steps and work your way up that is how better models are built, No short cuts..

Last edited:
i kind of got off the path here about quality or scratch vs kit i have seen some models out of the box that were really good. and some ugly scratch projects so kit vs scratch is a washout. Quality comes in both catagories. both require skill to accomplish a well done model.

this hobby might of gotten a little off track and focused on the higher end $1,200.00 kits expensive tools and materials. Bring it all back down to earth and focus on the beginner the novice to intermediate builders make it an affordable hobby. Both younger generation and the older generation are not going to jump in with outragious start up costs, and yes the shipping which is often more than the parts your buying. If everyone is calling this a "hobby" then it should be reasonable for everyone.
i know RC guys invest $18,000.00 in scale model jets who actually hire experenced people to fly them now that is no average mans hobby. do we want this hobby to go in that direction?
It won't naturally, because there will always be people who want to make ship models from average household tools and easily obtained inexpensive materials. No one, not NRG, not KIR, not kit manufacturers, nor Chinese pirates can take full control of this hobby. They aren't the soul of the hobby. We are. The hobbyists. If you do this type of hobby to satisfy others, you're doing it for the wrong reason, and it will never be satisfying. It's nice to have admirers, but anyone who puts this much work into a hobby knows deep down that they do it for themselves, as a love or a skill challenge, or both.

ARRRRRrrrrrr! Pirate Flag Ship-1
(Sorry, I just can't stop doing that after that fateful day. . .)

Last edited:
My last, and I do mean last, RC jet was only $11k which while I was flying it made an unintentional landing. Watching it literally go up in smoke I could only say “S***” happens. Had someone else been flying it I don’t think I would have been quite so philosophical about it :)

No, I don’t wish the this hobby to go in that direction.

i use to fly high power rocket trying to hit mach1 with fiber glass and epoxy and a cardboard tube. hundreds of $$ going up in smoke in a second or two. finally i did hit mach1 and quit, moved on to other things.

there are the extremist in all arts and crafts and the hobby world no one will talk shop in the high power rocket world it is all hush hush.

Precisely, tools are not a substitute for skill. They just make life a tad easier. IMHO

it would take more skill, time and patience to build using hand tools. Hum? if your jig is computer drawn and laser cut, all your wood is pre milled all the framing is pre cut everything is pre made then where is the old school skills of building a wooden ship model? your just assembling a 3D puzzle.
Not really ,there is still lot to do ,it is not like lego ,not even close

there is no issure with a master class of builders to inspire and teach but they are not the majority and should not be the focus of the hobby. The beginner and intermediate builders are the focus
All i am saying dont go telling a beginner he needs a $750.00 hobby saw or he has to do the research or dont bother wasting your time "better models through research" do you have any idea the time and money it takes to do reserch? that is pure hogwash better models start from the beginning easy steps and work your way up that is how better models are built, No short cuts..
Agree 100 %

WE DO HAVE A SMALL BUT DEDICATED OLDIES WHO ARE BOUND TO KEEP ON AND CHANGES HAVE TO BE MADE BY MODELER AS TO SUBJECT MATTER, PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS ETC, VERY LITTLE OUT THERE IN THE PUBLIC REALM SO WE MAKE DO, TOOLS YEA I AM STILL BYING BUT DIFFERENT THERE ARE MORE AND MORE SMALL GOOD TOOLS THAT I FOUND MARKER X BY EJ WOX HAVE INTERESTING SMALL TOOL ALL VARIABLE SPEED BATTERY OPERATED, SAME FOR MINI-ELECTRIC DRILLS I HAVE 3 OR 4 FROM CHINA WORK GOOD TAKES THE PLACE OF MY DREMEL WORK STATION. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

OK COSTS OUT OF THE BOX LET US SAY THE TOP OF THE LINE CHINEESE KIT COMING ON THE MARKET IS $2,000.00 I CAN NOT AFFORD $2,000.00 BUT TAKE THE SAME KIT AND DIVED IT INTO 4 OR 5 PARTS NOW THE COSTS BECOME AFFORDABLE HOW MANY KIT BUILDERS BUILD FAST ENOUGH TO COMPLETE THE MODEL BEFORE A SECTION ARISES IF I TAKE 3 OR 4 MOS, ON A SECTION BEFORE I NEED THE NEXT, DO I MAKE SENCE,

way back in the 70s maybe 60s Model shipways use to sell their kits either by the parts or the entire kit at once. You could buy the plans, buy just the carved hull. fittings by the set or one at a time, rigging set,just planking etc. That is actually a good idea to sell a kit in stages or buy only what you want. At one time you could buy just a set of plans of a kit and cut out the bulkheads yourself. Or just buy fittings. The problem back then was fittings were generic a company could not stock and sell a large amount of different fittings for each model. Generic fittings gave rise to out of scale or out of a historic time line.

ANOTHER THING TO SAVE MONEY OUR DEAR FRIEND AMOZON THE M/S DORY 30.00 FREE SHIPPING,, MICRO MART TOOL 100.00 PLUS $15.00 SHIPPING AMOZON SAME TOOL SAME MANUFACTURER $100.00 FREE SHIPING GET THE PICTURE NOW LET US TALK TOOLS THE OLD FANSHION SHOP TOOLS I TRY TO BY A COMBO WHEN I PURCHASE A TOOL, BAND SAW TABLE TOP $120.00 MENARDS FREE SHIPPING (PICK UP), NOT A HOBBY TOOL HAD MINE FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS NO TABLE SAW NEEDED CAN CUT SMALL VERY SMALL STRIPS ON BAND SAW CHANGE BLADES CAN RE-SAW SAME WITH MOST OF MY POWER TOOLS, DREMELLS

conspiracy theorists have this idea big brother Amozon is squeezing out all the small business and mom and pop businesses by offering free shipping. Where as small business have to rely on postal services where the shipping is so expensive it cost more for shipping than what you purchase.

The Store
by James Patterson
The Store doesn't just want your money – it wants your soul.
Imagine a future of unparalleled convenience. A powerful retailer, The Store, can deliver anything to your door, anticipating the needs and desires you didn't even know you had.
Most people are fine with that, but not Jacob and Megan Brandeis. New York writers whose livelihood is on the brink of extinction, Jacob and Megan are going undercover to dig up The Store's secrets in a book that could change the entire American way of life. But after a series of unsettling discoveries, Jacob and Megan's worst fears about The Store seem like just the beginning.
Harbouring a secret that could get him killed, Jacob has to find a way to escape The Store's watchful eye and publish his expose – before the truth dies with him.

NOW LET US TALK TOOLS THE OLD FANSHION SHOP TOOLS I TRY TO BY A COMBO WHEN I PURCHASE A TOOL, BAND SAW TABLE TOP $120.00 MENARDS FREE SHIPPING (PICK UP), NOT A HOBBY TOOL HAD MINE FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS NO TABLE SAW NEEDED CAN CUT SMALL VERY SMALL STRIPS ON BAND SAW CHANGE BLADES CAN RE-SAW SAME WITH MOST OF MY POWER TOOLS, DREMELLS I HAVE AT LEAST A DOZON

There are indeed specialized tools but in this hobby tools you buy local at Lowels or Home Depot or Menards will work just fine and far cheaper than those special hobby tools and like Don said free shipping just go get it.

education and changing the mind set in this hobby is the key. This is not a hobby of elitists master craftsmen it is a community of everyday hobby people looking for something to do

Last edited:
Not really ,there is still lot to do ,it is not like lego ,not even close

your right kits are not just snap together parts like a lego they are a challenge to build.

the mind set of the builder reflects in the model being built. for example my grandson an engineer will look at a models structure, how is a wooden ship built? what are the strong and weak points? how big do timbers have to be to support the weight of guns and on and on. Some are answering to the call "get a hobby" and that is the total of it. China is the epic center of new kits i see nothing from western companies other than the same thing done 30 years ago. The mind set of someone who just wants to build a model ship to display and that is where kits from China answer that need, there are kits so refined they mimic models you would see in a museum.

i just returned from the post office to send out 5 orders and the postage came to a total of $280.00 chatting with the guy at the post office i said "oh my that is expensive!" he said you ain't seen nothin' yet postal rated are going up.

Back