cost of the hobby

for builders wanting to build a ship model most likely choose something with lots of cannons, For some reason Cannons and sailing ships seem to go hand in hand. Also they want something pretty to display when finished so lots of stern carvings, cool looking figurehead are a consideration. A modest beginning with a smaller ship and less detail is not appealing.
A simplier model scratch built requiring thinking, planning and model engineering is not as appreciated by the typical viewer as apposed to a model of a first rate ship of the line with a 100 cannons. One model is built by hand the other is an assembly of pre made parts built in a fool proof jig. . Both require a level of skill.

... you do not have to start with expensive material.
Well, the world is not the same everywhere with the same facilities. I can bring my Italian experience: we mainly live in flats in big condos, we have no "hobby rooms" or "shop-shed in the garden" - not even the garden ;) - and DIY shops are very limited in materials and tools if compared to, say, USA. Model shops have committed greed-induced mass suicide during the years, videogames, instant gratification and social networks have stepped in, schools and education in general consider "using your hands" not cool, and before the advent of e-commerce, that is, Amazon (the others followed) model building and ESPECIALLY ship building was seen as a pastime for rich, slightly sociopatic widowers. Instead, printing 3d things and equipping them with sophisticated electronics is feasible and cheap, there is plenty of communities support, plans and tutorials, it makes no smells and the footprint of the main and only tool, the printer, is a tolerable 50x50 cm, a tea-table. Pear wood 4x4x25 cm is 12 euros, by the way.
Your idea (dream?) of free PDF projects and fixed-price services is nice, but it would crash against dozens of shippings from different places and very, very low profit margins for the service providers, unless they charged unrealistic prices. How much time for preparing a ready-to-cut laser file? How much does a professional laser cost? what about customer service, guarantee, tax-paying? Who could make a living out of that?
Actually, modelism flourished under dictatorships. During Fascism and in the old Soviet Union modelism and model associations received money, places, tools, resources of every kind, agonism was welcome but not mandatory and schools collaborated. Possibly building model ships and model planes was considered a preparation to being sailors and pilots in the Army, but it's a fact.

if the joy is in the build what's the difference in building a kit or building from scratch?
For some the joy is in the built model on the shelf in the shortest time, others, myself included, are not inspired by the "kit cutting" phase of scratch building, others have partners that don't want sawdust and whirring drills in the living room... Hobbies have room for everyone and for every pleasure. In France, for instance, they have a VERY strong association of steam-propelled navigating RC models, that they run in the moats of the Loire castles...:cool:

There have been a number of instances when I went to "checkout" on a supply site and decided the cancel the order when I discovered the shipping doubled the cost of my order. This is especially true during these stressful economic times. True, local hobby shops are becoming a rarity.

for builders wanting to build a ship model most likely choose something with lots of cannons, For some reason Cannons and sailing ships seem to go hand in hand. Also they want something pretty to display when finished so lots of stern carvings, cool looking figurehead are a consideration. A modest beginning with a smaller ship and less detail is not appealing.
A simplier model scratch built requiring thinking, planning and model engineering is not as appreciated by the typical viewer as apposed to a model of a first rate ship of the line with a 100 cannons. One model is built by hand the other is an assembly of pre made parts built in a fool proof jig. . Both require a level of skill.
It’s amazing how much the two hobbies are alike. First time RC modelers always want to start with something like a multi engine B25 or of course build a P51 as their trainer. Very few want to start with a high wing “trainer” type of aircraft. Needless to say many a start never gets finished. Alas, the same for model ship building. :(
Again, instant gratification rears it’s ugly head.

It’s amazing how much the two hobbies are alike. First time RC modelers always want to start with something like a multi engine B25 or of course build a P51 as their trainer. Very few want to start with a high wing “trainer” type of aircraft. Needless to say many a start never gets finished. Alas, the same for model ship building. :(
Again, instant gratification rears it’s ugly head.

it is amazing the instant gratification are some builders who just want a ship model on display as fast and cheap as possible, and that is gratifing no doublt about it.

there are those who have no want or desire to push themselves into a master class of model engineering, i get that.
just like the builder gets the gratification of finishing a kit and a builder who gets gratifications from knowing the size of the timbering that make up a frame and builds it.

as for cost i don't know if anyone sat down to figure out the difference in cost to
buy a kit

or sit down with a set of modeling building plans, make out a materials list then go on line and source what you need from fittings to milled wood.

actually everything source you would need is right here on this forum

you can actually custom make your material needs to your personal building space, tool and skill level.

right now the cost of shipping is killing the concept of shopping for everything you need. It is a slow death to anyone who can not offer free shipping.

The world is crazy with the prizes in this moment. I needed a piece of plywood. Went to the store and pay 21,95. Last year I bought exactly the same piece of wood. In my box of scrap wood lies a little piece of that. The price tag was still visible. It says 8,95.
I know your problem Steve, I had a business before. I had a cafeteria. I was selling sausages of a certain brand there. An A-brand and you could taste that. Much tastier. But the competition also sold these sausages, but of a different brand, cheaper and not so tasty like mine. Yet the competition sold more than me, because I asked 5 cents more for the sausage. In the big city where I used to sit with the business this was not a problem, people knew my quality. But in the village where I then started a new business, it was a problem. People chose the lower price. While in the big city where I was first, people chose quality.
People sometimes react differently to a prize than you think. If you are in the same place with your regular customers and your service and quality, then the price increase will make no difference, especially if you also mention what caused it. There will of course be a few who will drop out as customers, the ones who will look for themselves on the second hand market. Or for a better price, but they will come back for the quality and service they miss elsewhere.

Any hobby is expensive, but considering how long the average modeler take to build a $ 500 kit it is very cost effective as entertainment. Beside some of the skill learned can be helpful, this is my wife talking. Gaming is not cheap when you consider the cost of some of the chips used (upward to $1500). Hobby shops are disappearing because they fail to maintain some of the most basic supplies. Ex. want to purchase an assortment of brass tubing, never could find any in a city of 200,000 people. Had to go online, therefore bought everything at the same time, glue, paint, etc.. so the hobby shop lost my purchases. Amazon has been a fantastic resource for myself. Fast and (so far) free shipping. Also it was faster shipping of a Vanguard kit purchased directly from England than the previous kit purchased in California. I reside in Idaho so England is substantially farther, the difference in the cost of shipping was minimal.

To cut my costs I'm going to mill my lumber, or at least try. When I was woodworking I made a router leveling board for planning lumber to thinner thicknesses. Mine was a piece of plywood about 14 x 24 "s with 3/4" rails, then I made a tray for the router that would slide horizontally across the bottom tray with stops so the router bit would not quite touch the side rails and gouge them. A couple of coats of varnish on the tray area allows you to use double-sided tape on your material to hold it to the tray. set your router shallow and start planning it down to the thickness required. Now slice to the width required and you have your planks. I usually cut as close as I can with a table or bandsaw or jigsaw before planning, there is plenty of information on the net about these planning boards, check them out and make one according to your needs. Just make sure you plane wide boards and then cut them down to size on a jigsaw or bandsaw, for safety's sake.

To cut my costs I'm going to mill my lumber, or at least try. When I was woodworking I made a router leveling board for planning lumber to thinner thicknesses. Mine was a piece of plywood about 14 x 24 "s with 3/4" rails, then I made a tray for the router that would slide horizontally across the bottom tray with stops so the router bit would not quite touch the side rails and gouge them. A couple of coats of varnish on the tray area allows you to use double-sided tape on your material to hold it to the tray. set your router shallow and start planning it down to the thickness required. Now slice to the width required and you have your planks. I usually cut as close as I can with a table or bandsaw or jigsaw before planning, there is plenty of information on the net about these planning boards, check them out and make one according to your needs. Just make sure you plane wide boards and then cut them down to size on a jigsaw or bandsaw, for safety's sake.
I mill wood as needed...but I have a woodshop. When it comes to modelling, small, thin pieces are the norm and typically I have various species of wood stock on hand and a LOT of cutoffs. So.....when thinking of saving money by milling your own stock, consider how much ends up on the floor or in the dust collector. Small, thin stock usually has considerable waste. Even with thin saw blades. Just something to consider. Its a pay now/pay later endeavor.

Assuming that you're going to mill your own lumber maybe it's time to investigate local woods. I'm using Hazel for the Discovery. I've never used anything else except Western Red Cedar and the Hazel is much better that that. It also has light sapwood and dark heartwood for nice contrast. It also bends like a dream. I've read somewhere that Alder is good and it's available in any local firewood pile. If I need something really strong and hard there is a local bush called Ocean Spray that is incredible. It turns really well. I turned my cannons from it and never even had to sand them. We have a few guys around here that have those portable horizontal bandsaw sawmills. You might be able to take your "logs" to them to rough them out.

My first scratch built model was the French Chebec published by Popular Mechanics magazine back in 1959. No mail order available, no Internet, just a good hobby shop 25 miles away. It took me a year to finish the model, but I never did purchase all the brass cannon for the model; I only purchased the four or so that would have been very difficult to install after completion. The remainder never made it to the model, just too expensive for my teenage budget.

Unfortunately, the model is gone now, a victim of many moves, each destroying it just a little. But I was very proud of it at the time.

It’s amazing how much the two hobbies are alike. First time RC modelers always want to start with something like a multi engine B25 or of course build a P51 as their trainer. Very few want to start with a high wing “trainer” type of aircraft. Needless to say many a start never gets finished.
I was that way many years ago. Friend into RC and I wanted to be too. Really wanted to build a Hawker Typhoon, bought plans and all, for my first plane. A sales rep for Falk Corp. ended up giving me an old Galloping Ghost RC radio set (single channel!), so I looked up Ghost Rider plans and built it instead. Put about $100 into it (engine, battery, construction supplies). Had fun flying it, but within a week it was destroyed. I realized that flying fun didn't require a costly perfectly scale aircraft, and was happy I only spent the time and money I did on it before it went away.

1658686484677.png

It's quite interesting how a single channel radio, with a single rotary actuator, can give you elevator, rudder and engine control. An interesting project. But helped me separate having fun (flying in this case) from modeling (things that stay on the ground). ;-)

a screen shot of a post from the MSW forum which has been redacted not to show names of people or companies.

Just did a quote for shipping to South Africa this morning, a saw and sliding table, $616.00, UPS has gone wild.

I just paid for a Byrnes 4"table saw and saw accessories to be shipped to South Australia. The subtotal was US$1189. Freight to me via
UPS (only option) was US$540 equivalent to AU$770.

post.JPG

i have to agree with the last line costs of shipping is killing this hobby. I did buy the pearwood and i had no choice in the shipping buy it or leave it. It's sad the cost to customers will have to go way up. At one time it was better to buy local that is if you live in the US buy from US businesses but it now cost almost the same from east coast to west coast or from China to the US

Why shipping costs from UPS or FEDEX are cheaper from, example, China to USA ?

cost of shipping in China is less maybe because of the currency exchange rate or mybe because shipping is government subsidize

i am not sure but time and again the same item and same price might be X amount for shipping within the US and offered free shipping from China

or maybe internationl big brother has his fingers in the pie and are messing with us. International agreements dealing with postal services and rates.

I recently Paid £26 for 8 600x45x25 and £46 for 40 300x50x20 sapely offcuts on ebay which was including shipping, being new to purchasing wood I believed this was a bargin when compared to prices at the hobby store.
we have 2 groups in the hobby i think?

group 1

these are hobby people just interested in building a model. They do not care about the model being historicaly correct, they do not even care if the was an actual ship. It is more about the fun of the build and accomplishing a complex model. These are the hobby kit buiders and their range of kits go from cheap and simple to very expensive and complex. With 10s of thousands of ships and trypes the hobby kit is limited to just the kit subjects that sell. Profit by the manufacture is the main goal here, there is no bargaining, you either pay the price or walk away.
Any manufacture of kits buys the raw materials pays the cost + shipping then marks that up, He provides a servive by including instructions which you are being charged for, casting, printing, milling and cutting parts are included and you pay for someone to do all that. In the end the people who make the kits are middlemen making a profit. In the end these models are a facade, that is they look like a ship but are not how a ship is built.

group 2

these are the builders who have an interest in maritime history and tend to build historical correct models. The selection of subjects are as far as the eye can see. These builders have more of an interest in model engineering and "how" ships are built. This type of modeling takes years of knowledge, multi disciplines in research, woodworking, modeling, reading plans, metal working, casting, CAD design etc. it is intimidating plus builders do not have the tools. Scratch building is out of reach for the vast majority.

But what if

there was a web site/forum set up that offered a school in model ship building, they would have starter projects, a co-op of suppliers of rope, blocks, milled wood services. laser cutting services, how to prep drawing for laser cutting. 3D printing services everything you need. Rather than instructions there are free downloadable PDF files of " how to".
What is going on is eliminating the middleman kit manufacture because you are buying supplies direct, you are now the middleman.
I built a 3/8 scale model of the Tecumseth for $85.00

i remember seeing a post on another forum where someone wanted to get into model ship building and was told you HAVE to use boxwood or Swiss Pearwood no other wood will do. so i get an Email asking for a quote which was around $650.00 for Boxwood. WOW! that is expensive, But hey i can do the exact same thing in Beech, Maple or Cherry for $120.00. Exotic wood is fine but it is for the high end builders, you do not have to start with expensive material.

if the joy is in the build what's the difference in building a kit or building from scratch?
I would love to try a scratch build, (all the gear but no idea!) I don't have the knowledge, for instance how to get the information from an isometric drawing, whilst Im sure now that I have found this forum I could ask for help, but information is not easily found for someone wishing to try. Thus Kits are the only option, then you have to deal with inaccuracies, and sub standard materials.

I recently Paid £26 for 8 600x45x25 and £46 for 40 300x50x20 sapely offcuts on ebay which was including shipping, being new to purchasing wood I believed this was a bargin when compared to prices at the hobby store.

I would love to try a scratch build, (all the gear but no idea!) I don't have the knowledge, for instance how to get the information from an isometric drawing, whilst Im sure now that I have found this forum I could ask for help, but information is not easily found for someone wishing to try. Thus Kits are the only option, then you have to deal with inaccuracies, and sub standard materials.
If you are in the mood for an adventure, and you have wood working skills and tools suitable for small parts, you could buy drawings used in kits separately and build a ship at any size you want based on those prints. Most take kits any bash the heck out of them to add details, replacing most of the parts, because this is an easier approach.

In case you're curious, here is the full list of costs building HMS Sovereign of the Seas so far...

Date purchasedQuantity & ItemsStorePrice
12/19/2017Book: Sovereign of the Sea, The Quest to Build the Perfect Renaissance BattleshipAmazon.com
$10.70​
8/24/2018Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the Seas kit, all 135 Issues + 85.00 shippingeBay
$720.00​
9/9/2018Build Sovereign of the Seas Paint SetModel Space USA
$50.99​
12/28/20189V 2A AC/DC Power Adapter 18W Charger for IEIK UNO R3, Arduino UNOAmazon.com
$19.26​
12/28/2018UNO Project Basic Starter Kit with Tutorial and UNO R3 for ArduinoAmazon.com
$18.20​
1/25/2019Amati HMS Sovereign of the Seas drawingsCornwall Model Boats Co.
$49.65​
2/5/2019Amati SotS Decoration Set & Stern Lantern SetStatic Naval Models
$273.58​
2/18/2019Craft Liquid One Step Leafing Paint, 0.75-Ounce, Classic GoldAmazon.com
$10.03​
3/27/201911 x A4169 deco barrels (36mm), 50 x AMNC065 Columns, 8 x RB01132 (32mm brass), 21 plain barrels (25mm white & bronze), 27 x A4168 deco barrels (28mm)Cornwall Model Boats Co.
$52.00​
5/29/201930 x Amati cannon barrels AL4168 (28mm)Modelers Central
$45.70​
5/24/20199 x A4169 deco barrels (36mm), 4 x A4168 deco barrels (28mm), 1 x AMNC050 Rudder hinge, 8 plain brass barrels AL8638 (30mm)Cornwall Model Boats Co.
$28.88​
5/30/201930 x Amati AL4168 (28mm) cannon barrels (spares)Modelers Central
$45.70​
5/30/201950 x Bass wood strips 1/16 X 1/4eBay (Alvin)
$17.34​
6/10/201950 x Bass wood strips 1/16 X 1/4eBay (Alvin)
$17.34​
6/14/20196 Amati AL8725 300 deco barrels (30mm), 2 x metal bucketsScale Model Supplies
$16.21​
6/14/2019Atesania Latina 27301 Micro Shapers No.2Amazon.com
$12.99​
10/9/2019Sovereign of the Seas: Die Skulpturen des britischen Königsschiffes von 1637 (book)Amazon.com
$262.36​
10/14/2019Sovereign of the Seas, 1637: A Reconstruction of the Most Powerful Warship of its Day (book preordered)Amazon.com
$33.39​
11/12/20193 x Falkonet - F55UT Wood cleat (pearwood) - 5.5 mm width - Pack of 10 pcs, 4 x Falkonet - F25B1 - Single Block 2.5mm Pear Wood - Pack of 10 pcs, 1 x Falkonet - F35B3 - Triple Block 3.5mm Pear Wood - Pack of 10 pcs, 2 x Falkonet - F25B2 - Double Block 2.5mm Pear Wood - Pack of 10 pcsModel Expo
$29.94​
2/9/20205mm Triangular Deadeyes, 7mm DeadeyesCornwall Model Boats Co.
$34.81​
5/10/20202 x Flags (pennants), 1 x 3mm brass hooks (120 per set)HiS Model
$30.09​
7/7/2020Brass Hooks, 0.125" tall, 0.075"wide, 0.023" hole DIAeBay (Brass Dog Ornaments)
$21.95​
7/7/2020Brass Hooks, 0.15" tall, 0.087"wide, 0.018" hole DIAeBay (Brass Dog Ornaments)
$19.10​
7/25/2020HFPKPRO05 Etched Brass Roman NumeralsHasslefree Miniatures
$9.79​
9/15/2020COREL LINE 0.25MM X 40M BEIGE, 2 x Falkonet Wood cleat (pearwood) 5.5 mm width Pack of 10, Model Shipways Beautiful Single Blocks 3.5 mm 20 Pack, 3 x Model Shipways Beautiful Single Blocks 3.0 mm 20 PackModel Expo
$67.90​
11/16/2020Wood and Brackets for Model Base Assembly and Lamp CordMenards
$23.29​
11/17/2020Misc Basswood Pieces (blocks, flat, square dowels)Menards
$38.31​
11/19/20203mm Plywood, Misc Basswood Pieces (blocks, flat)Menards
$12.30​
11/23/20205/8" Basswood square dowelMenards
$4.38​
11/30/2020Balsa Wood (7 1/2"x3"x24", 4 3/4"x3/4"x24")National Balsa
$44.26​
12/6/2020Glue tips, 1/16" brass Tube, 1/8"x1/8" Cherry and 1/16"x1/8" & 1/16"x1/8" Walnut Wood StripsHub Hobby
$20.49​
12/6/2020Colored Veneers, Wood FillerRockler
$35.92​
3/25/2021Dremel 225-01- Flex Shaft Rotary Tool Attachment with Comfort Grip and 36" Long CableAmazon.com
$26.75​
3/28/20213 Dremel engraving cutters, 1 diamond point cutter, sanding block, diamond file setMenards
$46.03​
4/26/202140 1x5mm Lime strips, 40 0.6x4mm Tanganyika stripsModelers's Central
$94.20​
5/2/20214136/10 Very Fine Pins 10mm (200) × 3 $8.25
4384/06 Mast Parrels with Spacers 6mm × 2 $5.22
4395/10 Mast Foot Bronzed 10mm × 1 $0.94
4395/08 Mast Foot Bronzed 8mm × 2 $1.64
Chain-4406/01 Futtock Strop & Hooks for 3mm Deadeyes (10) × 4 $8.04
Chain-4406/02 Futtock Strop & Hooks for 5mm Deadeyes (10) × 4 $9.48
4356 Deck Pump 15mm × 4
WoodenModelShipKit.com
$51.57​
5/3/20212 x Titebond II 16 oz., 3 x Frog Masking TapeMenards
$31.78​
5/6/20214 x 1/4"x1/4"x24" Mahogany, #11 Razor knife blades, 2 x 3/16"x3"x24 Mahogany, 3/32"x3"x24" Walnut, 23 x 3/32"x3/32"x24" Walnut, 2 oz. CA GlueHub Hobby
$43.93​
5/21/2021240 x Brass Gun Port HingeeBay (jiangxuezuimei)
$64.28​
5/21/20212 x Gratings (5) 33mm long, 1x1 mm square, 60 pieces each
Model Shipways Beautiful 2.0 mm Single Wood Blocks, 20 Pack
2 x Model Shipways Beautiful 3.0 mm Single Wood Blocks, 20 Pack
Model Expo
$50.14​
5/21/20213 x Detail Associates 2530 Brass Flat Bar .015" x .060, six 12" pieceseBay
$15.96​
5/23/20214" x 5" x 0.005" Mica Sheetebay (Stovemica.com)
$14.45​
5/31/20211/4" Prick Punch
$10.69​
6/1/202110 x 33mm x 1mm square gratingsHistoric Ships
$43.12​
6/1/20212 x Handmade Miniature Rope (Tan) - 0.6mm (0.024"), 8 x Deadeyes triangular (10 pcs) - 1/8" (3.0mm), 8 x Grating - 1 9/16" x 1 9/16" (40mm x 40mm) (0.6mm hole)Crafty Sailor
$58.01​
6/1/20212 x Excel Blades #18 Wood Chisel Blade, 1/2", 5 per pack.Amazon.com
$7.13​
6/8/20214 x Amati Decorated Barrels 36mm AM4169, 2 x Amati Decorated Cannon w/metal carriage 40mm AM4162, 8 x Angled Step Ladder, 12mm wide, AM4320/12Ages of Sail
$36.44​
6/11/20216" curved Forceps, ScissorsSportsmans Guide
$12.16​
6/11/2021Eyebolts, Bell, 3 spools 0.30 mm tan lineScale Model Supplies
$32.67​
6/14/20213 x Brass eyelets - 100pcsHiSModel
$7.57​
6/14/20212 x Historical gun barrel, L=40/R 7,0HiSModel
$5.05​
6/14/20212 x decorative cannon barrel - lenght 45 mmHiSModel
$2.52​
6/14/2021Offset ring needles - pack of 100pcs, blackHiSModel
$1.77​
6/14/20215 x Clamp triangular deadeyes 3mm/w.0,3mm/10pcsHiSModel
$9.08​
6/14/20214 x Clamp Triangular deadeyes 5mm/w.0,5mm/10pcsHiSModel
$10.08​
6/14/20214 x Clamp Triangular deadeyes 7mm/w.0,5mm/10pcsHiSModel
$21.18​
6/14/20212 x Parral - Ribs triple/28pcs + trucks-black patinationHiSModel
$7.87​
6/14/2021400 x Brass ring Ø2 mmHiSModel
$3.63​
6/14/20218 x CNC Sheed Block 6mmHiSModel
$7.71​
6/14/20214 x CNC Violin Block 6mm + $10.90 shippingHiSModel
$14.74​
8/12/20212 ft Brass Bead Wire (1mm/1.4mm)Etsy (QFMarket)
$18.10​
8/24/2021Cherry Wood Strips 1/16"x1/16"x24", 6 packModel Expo
$7.49​
8/28/20212mm and 3mm Deadeyes, 1/8" Round Dowels, Anchor HawserScale Model Supplies
$45.55​
8/28/2021Camel Bristled PaintbrushHub Hobby
$2.67​
9/14/2021Eyelets diameter 1.5mm/w,0.3mm/50pcs-black patination, Eyelets diameter 1mm/w,0.2mm/50pcs-black patinationHiS Model
$25.79​
9/14/20214 x Capstan, 16mmCrafty Sailor
$24.95​
9/14/202116 3mm 3V LED's, Thin Twisted Kynar Wire (red and black)Evan Designs
$46.00​
9/18/202150 3mm Triangular DeadeyesCrafty Sailor
$14.94​
9/18/2021106 x Metal strops for 2mm Single blocks, 106 x Metal Strops for 2mm Double blocks, 200 1mm DIA eyelets, 70 x Metal Strops for 3mm Trangular Deadeyes, 40 x Metal Strops for 5mm Trangular Deadeyes, 30 x Metal Strops for 7mm Trangular DeadeyesHiS Model
$143.01​
10/24/202124 chip LED's, 3' of 1/16"shrink tubeEvan Designs
$47.60​
11/3/2021Cannon Barrel - Brown - Plain - 1-1/2inch (38mm) × 14Modelers Central
$31.54​
11/29/20213 x Brass Cannon Barrels 10 pcs/lot D5*36mmeBay
$71.97​
12/14/20213 x Set of Two Ladder Railings, Plastic, HO scaleMicroMark
$30.75​
12/25/202110x Five 28mm Walnut Columns from CaldercraftCornwall Model Boats Co.
$20.47​
12/28/20217 x Model Shipways Tanganyika Strips .5x4x(500mm) 12 PackModel Expo
$58.92​
12/30/2021Rudder hinges, Copper Door Hinges, Copper 1mm eyelets, Needle Nosed Pliers, Brass BellScale Model Supplies
$25.86​
12/31/20214 x Pearwood Shroud Cleats 5mm (12/pack), 3 x brass pins 0.3mm DIA 0.5mm Head DIA (200 each)Drydock Models and Parts
$57.68​
1/9/20221x3mm Walnut Strips, Poplar Dowels- 1/4", 5/16", 1/2" & 5/8"Hub Hobby
$34.00​
1/9/2022Standing Rigging Cotton Cable laid (left S) Brown Rigging LineRopes of Scale
$49.16​
2/12/20220.6mm blackened chainHub Hobby
$6.99​
2/12/2022Wood Strips: 9 x 1/16"x1/8" Cherry, 15 x 1/16"x1/8" Walnut, Wood Sheet: 3 x 1/16"x3"x24" Walnut, 2 x 3/32"x3"x24" Walnut, 2 x 1/4"x3"x24" WalnutHub Hobby
$40.60​
2/26/20225 x 1.5mm boxwood single blocks (10 each), 5 x 1.5mm boxwood double blocks (10 each), 4 x 5mm boxwood violin blocksDrydock Models and Parts
$96.32​
3/16/202110 Tanganica strips 0.5mm x 5mm x 100 cmAges of Sail
$14.10​
4/17/2022Mini Electric Belt Sander Multispeed Polishing Grinder Machine with mModel 895 MotoreBay
$52.92​
4/19/2022Acrylic Paint; White, Black, Gun Carriage Red, Deck Light Gray, PrimerModel Expo
$42.93​
5/21/20228 Tanganica strips 0.5mm x 5mm x 100 cm, 6mm x 36" limewood dowelAges of Sail
$52.33​
5/31/20229 1/16"x1/8"x2' Walnut, 6 1/8"x1/8"x2' Cherry, #1 Razor Knife blades (15) w/dispenserHub Hobby
$20.53​
6/12/202210x Five 28mm Walnut Columns from Caldercraft, 10 x Amati 4120 Cask Wood 10mm.Cornwall Model Boats Co.
$19.92​
6/19/202224 Nano Yellow LED's and 8 Pico Yellow LED'sEvan Designs
$83.02​
7/6/20221m of Navara Fine White Lawn cloth for sailsWBL Fabrics
$68.37​
7/17/2022Turkish Sailors Artillery XVI-XVII Century -- Plastic Model Military Figures -- 1/72 -- #72080Hobbylinc
$15.29​
Total
$4,077.13​

And if you were to ever sell this fine model when finished, what do you think a fair asking price would be based on cost of supplies to build and manpower time and space costs at your location?

I have heard you can never sell a model for what you have really put into it based on your time as a skilled model ship maker.

Kurt

Back