Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Foresail rigging finished

Hi guys!

Quite an update today with lots of pictures, 24 to be exact. It was not easy to get everything right in front of my camera. I have all running rigging of the Foremast ready. I really had some trouble rigging this sail. Some things I had to redo over 3 times or didn't turned out the way I wanted it and was pretty exhausting from time to time. Also figuring out the details cost me a lot of evening hours of work. Unfortunately in all the documentation I have the details are vague or not known. I followed the rigging of Le Requin in combination with another Xebec (museum model). In the end you make choices that seem logical and I tried to keep as close to reality as I could or know.

The parrel
It starts with the Parrel. The parrel is like a "guide system" that actually rolls the rod / yard up and down the mast. The parrel is made up of so-called "trucks", these are the beads and "ribs" the vertical pieces of wood. As always, I start with a drawing to the actual scale. Then I make it as on the drawing in various steps. Oh yes, the ribs that come with the kit are made of metal and also the wrong size. So I haven't used it. Each rib is individually handcrafted. Builders with milling machines can do this faster and easier than I can, but the admiral won't allow these machines on her dining table and that's the end of the discussion.... :rolleyes:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The parrel is finally assembled with the made ribs and the trucks of (3mm) and attached to the yard. The parrel of this mast is a simple version. Just 3 horizontal rows that are spliced together and extended into one single rope. On one side of the yard, a strop is used to attach it to the yard. The parrel is wrapped around the mast and then attached with a truss by using a bead the other side of the yard. (see second photo). For the main mast I'm going to replace this bead with a block. Finally the rope runs down at the mast to the foot of the mast where it's tied down using a tackle with a few blocks. This can be seen in the following pictures.

[IMG]

[IMG]

A lot of lose ends here....

[IMG]

The parrel tackle is seen on the picture and is the one with the dark ropes next to the mast. The other two tackels are used to turn the ends of the yard. The ropes are running throught the top sheeves on the mast. These tackles are attached with a hook to the rings besides the mast.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

In between I made the flagpole. The flagpole is attached with two metal braces.

[IMG]

then a picture of how it looks in full view of the sail.

[IMG]

[IMG]

And a lot of detail pictures of how I tied down all the ropes.... All rope ends are nicely bound together and tucked away...I tried to mimic reality as much as possible and hopefully the rigging is truthfull to the real thing....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And that's it for this update. I know, sometimes I can't see the forest because of all those ropes. The mainsail will carry the same amount of rigging.

Only the rigging of the Foremast took me approximately more than 40 hours of work / time. I can only say that it is a big job and the same is waiting for me for the rigging of the mainsail. I have to finish the construction of this sail first, put the boltrope on and so on. I hope you enjoyed this update.

Until the next update, and I wish you guys a nice weekend!

Peter

Hi guys!

Quite an update today with lots of pictures, 24 to be exact. It was not easy to get everything right in front of my camera. I have all running rigging of the Foremast ready. I really had some trouble rigging this sail. Some things I had to redo over 3 times or didn't turned out the way I wanted it and was pretty exhausting from time to time. Also figuring out the details cost me a lot of evening hours of work. Unfortunately in all the documentation I have the details are vague or not known. I followed the rigging of Le Requin in combination with another Xebec (museum model). In the end you make choices that seem logical and I tried to keep as close to reality as I could or know.

The parrel
It starts with the Parrel. The parrel is like a "guide system" that actually rolls the rod / yard up and down the mast. The parrel is made up of so-called "trucks", these are the beads and "ribs" the vertical pieces of wood. As always, I start with a drawing to the actual scale. Then I make it as on the drawing in various steps. Oh yes, the ribs that come with the kit are made of metal and also the wrong size. So I haven't used it. Each rib is individually handcrafted. Builders with milling machines can do this faster and easier than I can, but the admiral won't allow these machines on her dining table and that's the end of the discussion.... :rolleyes:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The parrel is finally assembled with the made ribs and the trucks of (3mm) and attached to the yard. The parrel of this mast is a simple version. Just 3 horizontal rows that are spliced together and extended into one single rope. On one side of the yard, a strop is used to attach it to the yard. The parrel is wrapped around the mast and then attached with a truss by using a bead the other side of the yard. (see second photo). For the main mast I'm going to replace this bead with a block. Finally the rope runs down at the mast to the foot of the mast where it's tied down using a tackle with a few blocks. This can be seen in the following pictures.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The parrel tackle is seen on the picture and is the one with the dark ropes next to the mast. The other two tackels are used to turn the ends of the yard. The ropes are running throught the top sheeves on the mast. These tackles are attached with a hook to the rings besides the mast.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And a lot of detail pictures of how I tied down all the ropes.... All rope ends are nicely bound together and tucked away...I tried to mimic reality as much as possible and hopefully the rigging is truthfull to the real thing....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And that's it for this update. I know, sometimes I can't see the forest because of all those ropes. The mainsail will carry the same amount of rigging.

Only the rigging of the Foremast took me approximately more than 40 hours of work / time. I can only say that it is a big job and the same is waiting for me for the rigging of the mainsail. I have to finish the construction of this sail first, put the boltrope on and so on. I hope you enjoyed this update.

Peter
WOW Peter. That’s a complex rigging! I can imagine that it takes a lot if hours. But it looks very realistic with the different sizes and colors of rope.
Regards, Peter

Absolutely stunning!
With this model you put yourselves miles ahead of most well-intentioned modelers like me.
The quality of your work and your attention to detail is amazing, a lot can be learned from studying this build log.

Hi guys!

The parrel

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Peter
Good morning Peter. Wow again! This is quality craftsmanship. Your attention to detail and scale is impeccable. In someways I am super happy you are in front of me as I can copy (well attempt to) some of your work and then in other ways I look at your work and exclaim NO way! This is a masterpiece Peter. Cheers Grant

WOW Peter. That’s a complex rigging! I can imagine that it takes a lot if hours. But it looks very realistic with the different sizes and colors of rope.
Regards, Peter
Impressive work Peter. This really is a museum quality model.
Thank you for sharing your work and experience; we all can learn from this.
Wonderful Peter. Your attention to the details (and pursuit of same) has resulted in a very convincing presentation. I remember the fabrication of parrels as you described above with a certain amount of emotional scarring...but the end is worth the effort!
Absolutely stunning!
With this model you put yourselves miles ahead of most well-intentioned modelers like me.
The quality of your work and your attention to detail is amazing, a lot can be learned from studying this build log.
Good morning Peter. Wow again! This is quality craftsmanship. Your attention to detail and scale is impeccable. In someways I am super happy you are in front of me as I can copy (well attempt to) some of your work and then in other ways I look at your work and exclaim NO way! This is a masterpiece Peter. Cheers Grant
Great work again Pter. All the tiny detail in the rigging, a joy to watch.
Hello Peter, amazing work. You can definitely see the 40 hours you put in.
Hi Guys, thank you very much for the support, it really helps. I think it has given me enough motivation to push on and take on the fabrication of the main sail plus all the rigging that comes with it. It’s a daunting task for me personally, I don’t like doing things twice and repeat all the steps I’ve taken with the Fore sail. It’s this moment in time when I as a person want to sprint and rush to the end because I can see the finish line. This is where the trap lies and I must be patient. This is where my years and years of training into martial arts comes into practise, and be zen = calm, mindfull, alert and focussed. when I rush things now, mistakes are made and things get ruined. So, tomorrow I start with the some of the blocks that needs to be attached to the main yard. It’s a simple task and I’ll keep progressing. again, One step at the time…think ahead, focus on one single task at a time and keep patience. For all you experienced builders know exactly what I’m talking about…;)

Thanks also to all the persons who liked and loved my last update but didn’t left a comment. It’s much appreciated!

Peter

Excellent work Peter! She’s an absolute beauty!
As far as rushing, I always say that the end is bittersweet! You get so used to working on a ship, that when you finish it, you actually miss working on it. So you just start another one! ROTF
Rinse and repeat! Which is why I recently started to bounce around and work on other small projects during a lengthy build. It gives me a short break and keeps my interest. ;)

Ps - I trained in martial arts in my late 20s, Northern Shoalin and praying mantis combined. There is a lot of values and discipline you can apply to every day life.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, thank you very much for the support, it really helps. I think it has given me enough motivation to push on and take on the fabrication of the main sail plus all the rigging that comes with it. It’s a daunting task for me personally, I don’t like doing things twice and repeat all the steps I’ve taken with the Fore sail. It’s this moment in time when I as a person want to sprint and rush to the end because I can see the finish line. This is where the trap lies and I must be patient. This is where my years and years of training into martial arts comes into practise, and be zen = calm, mindfull, alert and focussed. when I rush things now, mistakes are made and things get ruined. So, tomorrow I start with the some of the blocks that needs to be attached to the main yard. It’s a simple task and I’ll keep progressing. again, One step at the time…think ahead, focus on one single task at a time and keep patience. For all you experienced builders know exactly what I’m talking about…;)

Thanks also to all the persons who liked and loved my last update but didn’t left a comment. It’s much appreciated!

Peter
Well Peter, you have to do a lot of steps to walk a mile or to climb a mountain. Almost every step feels the same, perhaps getting a bit more tired. But you have to do them.
“A beautiful journey completes the enjoyment at the final destination.”
Regards, peter

Dear Peter. First, please accept my very belated birthday wishes! Now on to the Xebec. I am speechless. What you have done with the rigging of this ship is on a different level altogether. @RDN1954 Johan has nailed it when he said that this work is simply miles ahead of us ordinary folks. The rest of my rigging is awaiting me, but with a benchmark like that ...

Maybe I should take up the concertina or something! ROTF

Dear Peter. First, please accept my very belated birthday wishes! Now on to the Xebec. I am speechless. What you have done with the rigging of this ship is on a different level altogether. @RDN1954 Johan has nailed it when he said that this work is simply miles ahead of us ordinary folks. The rest of my rigging is awaiting me, but with a benchmark like that ...

This is a true story

My apologies for my late reply to you all. I've been busy earning my keep...

Excellent work Peter! She’s an absolute beauty!
As far as rushing, I always say that the end is bittersweet! You get so used to working on a ship, that when you finish it, you actually miss working on it. So you just start another one! ROTF
Rinse and repeat! Which is why I recently started to bounce around and work on other small projects during a lengthy build. It gives me a short break and keeps my interest. ;)

Ps - I trained in martial arts in my late 20s, Northern Shoalin and praying mantis combined. There is a lot of values and discipline you can apply to every day life.
So true, the end is always bittersweet...
I'm sure you've learned a lot from the Chinese martial arts Grasshopper! ;)

Well Peter, you have to do a lot of steps to walk a mile or to climb a mountain. Almost every step feels the same, perhaps getting a bit more tired. But you have to do them.
“A beautiful journey completes the enjoyment at the final destination.”
Regards, peter
Wise and true words my friend, and there are no shortcuts.... :p

Ah Heinrich, did I missed you lately. Glad to see you had a pleasant trip to RSA and back to China. I'm also a member of the "ordinary folks community" (OFC) and honored to be so! You will do fine with the rigging of your WB. With Anna by your side this will be a walk in the park I'm sure.

This is a true story
Like many stories this one is partly myth, fiction, romance and history combined....ROTF

Last edited:
Hello lads,

While working with needle and threat, sewing the boltline to the main sail, it's a nice variety to do some small woodwork as well.
This update is more or less a repeat of steps I did when working on the Foremast blocks, however I just want to show the amount of work that goes into these two ramshead blocks.

I start with a 1:1 scale drawing of the two blocks.

[IMG]

After this I cut the needed parts out of walnut strips of .6 and .8mm thickness. I re-use some of the pictures of the Foremast blocks.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

On the sides of the bottom block, two large cleats are attached. Let me show you in detail how I made these...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The blocks are blackened with East-Indian Ink and after it dried finished with Danish Oil. Some of you guys swear by Clou, but it looks a bit to shiny to my liking...
The sheaves of these blocks are made of .8mm thick walnut and 8mm in diameter. I reduced the diameter to 7mm and 4mm by hand.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Two mini projects finished. Back to needle and threat and finish the main sail. Next update hopefully the placement of the main sail on the ship. Were getting there....one step at a time....

Thank you for all your support. It's really appreciated!

Peter

That is exactly how I would have ATTEMPTED to make those blocks as well, Peter. Looking at your stunning model and after seeing Grant's formidable Xebec in person, I am getting quite interested in them. These Xebecs in the hands of the Algerian/Moroccan Barbary Corsairs, were formidable craft and posed a real threat to any shipping around Mediterranean. The fact that some of their most notable captains were Dutch, just add more spice to the whole story.

Back