Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

A small update in between. I've used boiled potato starch (thanks to Ohla Batchvarov @shipphotographer.com) on the foresail and let it dry overnight. She has an excellent video on how to do this placed on Youtube. Just check it out! Thanks Ohla for sharing!
Now the sail has it's final shape like the wind blows into it. I like this method better than diluted white glue.

photo 583178

photo 583179

photo 583177

photo 583180

And because it's my birthday today, the admiral surprised me with a complete paint rack of Vallejo which I will need for a future project. It's a skill a still need to master....I asked for a milling machine, however the admiral has her limits of what's allowed on the dining table.... :rolleyes:

photo 583181

Peter
A very happy birthday for yesterday Peter. Nice present from the Admiral. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. Cheers Grant

I want to thank everybody for their wishes!!! We had a nice family diner and it's great to celebrate with family and friends.
I'm very eager to try out the paint and brushes however, this will have to wait until this project is finished.

Again, thanks you guys! :)

Hi guys,

In this update I would like to show you the first impression on how the Focksail looks on the ship. The height and position of the yard is been controlled by to the two ramshead blocks being made earlier. Here you see it in action and placed on the ship. I placed the yard termporarily to experiment with the positions etc. The yard can be detached from the ship. I still need to place some blocks on the yard and make the Parrel. After that I can place all the other rigging that operates this sail and yard.

to be continued....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards,
Peter

Hi guys,

In this update I would like to show you the first impression on how the Focksail looks on the ship. The height and position of the yard is been controlled by to the two ramshead blocks being made earlier. Here you see it in action and placed on the ship. I placed the yard termporarily to experiment with the positions etc. The yard can be detached from the ship. I still need to place some blocks on the yard and make the Parrel. After that I can place all the other rigging that operates this sail and yard.

to be continued....

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards,
Peter
Good evening Peter. WOW. Cheers Grant

Thanks Dean, you saw I got a paintset for my birthday….only thing left is to learn how to paint properly. As you can see I can’t blame the tools….ROTF
Yes, those are great paints! I love the Vallejo paints, they are properly thinned and go on evenly with one coat! ;) Use synthetic brushes for water based paints.
When I buy a quality guitar, I always say, " If I don't sound good, it's not the guitar!" ROTF

ps - I love the ropes, quality rope makes such a big difference! Where do you buy the rope?
I have a few sources, but am not ready for rope yet on the NL, a long way to go before that is on my order list.
But for now I need to get ready for the cannons. So some small rope and blocks will be first on the list.

Good morning Peter,
sorry if I'm just checking in now, all the best for your birthday belatedly. An amazing sail, I love the lateen sails. Great work Peter.

I got this address from Adi @pianoforte and have already ordered some, they are also very nice.

Good morning Peter,
sorry if I'm just checking in now, all the best for your birthday belatedly. An amazing sail, I love the lateen sails. Great work Peter.

I got this address from Adi @pianoforte and have already ordered some, they are also very nice.

I have also ordered from Modelbau-Takelgarn.com for comparison, however the ropes of @BenD = ropesofscale.com are if I may say so of a higher quality. The twist of the rope is a bit tighter, better yarn is used I think so in the end you get a better product. For us Europeans it's more expensive to order from Canada because of the import duties but to me it's worth it. Thanks for thinking along Tobias, much appreciated. :)

Peter

I have also ordered from Modelbau-Takelgarn.com for comparison, however the ropes of @BenD = ropesofscale.com are if I may say so of a higher quality. The twist of the rope is a bit tighter, better yarn is used I think so in the end you get a better product. For us Europeans it's more expensive to order from Canada because of the import duties but to me it's worth it. Thanks for thinking along Tobias, much appreciated. :)

Peter
Morning Peter,

For the exact same reason I decided to buy the "Takelgarn.com" ropes; import fees.
But you are right, looking at your pictures the "ropes of scale" ropes are of a higher quality, at least less fluffy, allthough the "Takelgarn" rope is not bad either, just a bit more fluffy, but still definitely way better than the kit-supplied stuff. Touching the money subject, what's your experience in expenditure? When looking at my own build and the bits and pieces I modified or added or threw away, I think I spend at least four times the retail price of the kit and I am not even finished yet (think support and casing). (Not even factoring in the parts I was gifted by other builders.) Not interested in exact numbers, ratio is fine.

Johan

Morning Peter,

For the exact same reason I decided to buy the "Takelgarn.com" ropes; import fees.
But you are right, looking at your pictures the "ropes of scale" ropes are of a higher quality, at least less fluffy, allthough the "Takelgarn" rope is not bad either, just a bit more fluffy, but still definitely way better than the kit-supplied stuff. Touching the money subject, what's your experience in expenditure? When looking at my own build and the bits and pieces I modified or added or threw away, I think I spend at least four times the retail price of the kit and I am not even finished yet (think support and casing). (Not even factoring in the parts I was gifted by other builders.) Not interested in exact numbers, ratio is fine.

Johan
Hi Johan, well the nice thing about a hobby is that it's costs money....I won't go as far to call it a money pitt however in my case........ :rolleyes:
Well to give an estimation. I changed all the plywood for walnut, purchased European Boxwood for carvings, purchased blocks, cleats, ropes several times from Canada. Hooks from USA. To be honest I would be happy if it was only 4x the retail price of the kit.......:rolleyes:ROTF

Peter

Thanks Peter,
Apart from hobbies costing money, that's a given and since I'm able to still spend some money on hobbies without eating less cheese than I do, I'm okay with that.
The ball park figure you're showing does not really upset me, nor your statement it may possibly be a little understated... ;)
To be honest, I started with a very sparse toolset, which extended over time and again I was lucky I was either lend or given some very useful tools by fellow builders. Having said that, I did buy quite some stuff, tools and hardware alike, more than I anticipated.
With what you're showing on your build log, I would say your money is more than well spent.

Johan

Thanks Peter,
Apart from hobbies costing money, that's a given and since I'm able to still spend some money on hobbies without eating less cheese than I do, I'm okay with that.
The ball park figure you're showing does not really upset me, nor your statement it may possibly be a little understated... ;)
To be honest, I started with a very sparse toolset, which extended over time and again I was lucky I was either lend or given some very useful tools by fellow builders. Having said that, I did buy quite some stuff, tools and hardware alike, more than I anticipated.
With what you're showing on your build log, I would say your money is more than well spent.

Johan
Well, were having fun so to say and that's what matters in the end. Thanks Johan! ;)

Jumping in on the topic of costs...

I, too, have upended the build cost with various 'upgrades.' But my level of satisfaction has risen along with those costs. Having a rigging block that can be examined as close as someone wants to examine it and knowing it can stand up to the scrutiny is wonderful.

I recently purchased one of those small milling machines. I have used it ONE time to cut a 'well' in the frames where the pumps will sit - the most expensive depression in a piece of wood every! Oh, but the joy in seeing it done well? Priceless! Now my job is to dollar-cost average the mill by using it for other things!

Last edited:
I recently purchased one of those small milling machines. I have used it ONE time to cut a 'well' in the frames where the pumps will sit - the most expensive depression in a piece of wood every! Oh, but the joy in seeing it done well! Priceless! Now my job is to dollar-cost average the mill by using it for other things!
That's another extra level of fun to purchase a tool and "misuse" it for all kinds of purposes taht works really makes my day. :)

Wow Pter, she looks stunning.

Ps although being late I hope you had a great birthday.
Thanks Maarten yes I had! Thanks for the complements!

Peter

Back