Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Making the sails - part 2

Hello guys,

Thanks for all your support, I much appreciate you guys being here and supporting me during this build. Lately I see a lot of Xebec's buildlogs and to me this is a good thing between all the square rigged sailboats. I really love these ships. So go ahead and take a look at all the other buildlogs if you didn't visit them yet.

Well, continuing with the sails. @Maarten mentioned to darken the boltrope with bitumen. I liked that idea because it gives a bit of a contrast on the sail, so this is what I did. Thanks Maarten for the suggestion! Thumbsup
Also I like to show you how I reinforced the loop at the corner of the sails. These are handserved to get the desired result. I also used bitumen to darken the rope to get an even color on the served ropes compared to the bolt rope.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So the next thing to do is to add the reef lines. Never did that before... Also I used the the bitumen on the reef lines to create contrast.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And after a lot of knots and lines, the first sail is finished...One down, two to go!

[IMG]

Thanks for following and see you soon,
Peter

Hello guys,

Thanks for all your support, I much appreciate you guys being here and supporting me during this build. Lately I see a lot of Xebec's buildlogs and to me this is a good thing between all the square rigged sailboats. I really love these ships. So go ahead and take a look at all the other buildlogs if you didn't visit them yet.

Well, continuing with the sails. @Maarten mentioned to darken the boltrope with bitumen. I liked that idea because it gives a bit of a contrast on the sail, so this is what I did. Thanks Maarten for the suggestion! Thumbsup
Also I like to show you how I reinforced the loop at the corner of the sails. These are handserved to get the desired result. I also used bitumen to darken the rope to get an even color on the served ropes compared to the bolt rope.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So the next thing to do is to add the reef lines. Never did that before... Also I used the the bitumen on the reef lines to create contrast.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And after a lot of knots and lines, the first sail is finished...One down, two to go!

[IMG]

Peter
Bravo, Peter! I think you've outdone yourself for what you thought you could make yourself. Chapeau!
Regards, Peter

Hello guys,

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Peter
The contrasting bolt rope and reef lines are a beautiful touch, Peter! In your post #487 you had attached a bolt rope the same color as the sail. I guess you removed it to darken it. That would be an extraordinary amount of redo considering you hand sewed it. Just wondering.

Bravo, Peter! I think you've outdone yourself for what you thought you could make yourself. Chapeau!
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter, thanks....it's the best I can at this moment. :)

Beautiful! ;)
Thank you Dean, appreciate it!

The contrasting bolt rope and reef lines are a beautiful touch, Peter! In your post #487 you had attached a bolt rope the same color as the sail. I guess you removed it to darken it. That would be an extraordinary amount of redo considering you hand sewed it. Just wondering.
Hi Daniel, I didn't remove the bolt rope. I stained it with bitumen while it was attached already to the cloth. This was a tricky part, but none the less succeeded.

Hi Pter,

This adds a lot to the look and feel of the sails.
Very nice work indeed.
It was your idea! :)

These sails are coming along very nicely. Wonderful detailing Peter!
Thanks Paul, a lot of elbow grease went into making this one....two more to go!

Nice detail on these sails
Thanks Steef, in line with the rest of the ship I guess...

Thank you all for leaving a comment and like.
Peter

Hello guys,

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Peter
Good morning Peter. You have made a brilliant, realistic sail with all the details. Some serious fiddling required. Your Xebec sets the standard all round. Cheers Grant

Upper & Lower Foremast Ramshead block

Hi Guys,

I have started on the blocks that hoist the yards of the Foremast. These blocks are large and the load is distributed over quite a few discs. I believe these blocks are called Ramshead blocks. For this ship there is an upper block and lower block per mast. I can use the standard plywood things from the kit, but I didn't think they really fit with the overall appearance of the ship.....so I'll have to scratch them. To make them on this scale.... that's a challenge...... I tried to make them out of a solid piece of walnut and tried to mill the slots. That didn't worked out at all. I know, it's probably my skill and tools that's the problem....
In the end I came up with a sandwich construction that is also called lamination in wood construction. you glue a number of layers together as is also done with plywood, however, now completely made of walnut.

It starts with a drawing to scale.... I have to work with 0.5mm thin veneer and 0.8mm for the discs.
The discs are 6mm and 4.5mm in diameter.

photo 583112

Upper block
the 0.5mm veneer I had in my stash, the 0,8mm I didn't. So I had to use my tablesaw to cut these.....
In the end I used a slicer to cut all my lengths needed for the parts....

photo 583114

All the parts waiting on assembling

photo 583115

second stage where some of the parts are placed and glued....

photo 583116

Then all the lengths glued together to form a whole....

photo 583117

After this I shaped the block in it's final dimensions and shape.....

photo 583119

photo 583120

Lower block
The proces to make the lower block is exactly the same as the upper. So I left all the steps in between behind and show you the end result....

photo 583113

photo 583111

Both self made blocks besides the plywood parts provided within the kit....

photo 583121

photo 583122

To compare the size of the blocks with my index finger....

photo 583123

photo 583124

And that's done for the Ramshead blocks of the Foremast. It was nice to work with wood again after al that sewing work....

Thanks for following me and see you soon,
Peter

Hi Guys,

I have started on the blocks that hoist the yards of the Foremast. These blocks are large and the load is distributed over quite a few discs. I believe these blocks are called Ramshead blocks. For this ship there is an upper block and lower block per mast. I can use the standard plywood things from the kit, but I didn't think they really fit with the overall appearance of the ship.....so I'll have to scratch them. To make them on this scale.... that's a challenge...... I tried to make them out of a solid piece of walnut and tried to mill the slots. That didn't worked out at all. I know, it's probably my skill and tools that's the problem....
In the end I came up with a sandwich construction that is also called lamination in wood construction. you glue a number of layers together as is also done with plywood, however, now completely made of walnut.

It starts with a drawing to scale.... I have to work with 0.5mm thin veneer and 0.8mm for the discs.

photo 583112

Upper block
the 0.5mm veneer I had in my stash, the 0,8mm I didn't. So I had to use my tablesaw to cut these.....

photo 583114

photo 583115

photo 583116

photo 583117

photo 583119

photo 583120

Lower block
The proces to make the lower block is exactly the same as the upper. So I left all the steps in between behind and show you the end result....

photo 583113

photo 583111

photo 583121

photo 583122

photo 583123

photo 583124

And that's done for the Ramshead blocks of the Foremast. It was nice to work with wood again after al that sewing work....

Peter
So nicely done Peter!

Hi Guys,

photo 583112

Upper block

photo 583114

photo 583115

photo 583116

photo 583117

photo 583119

photo 583120

Lower block

photo 583113

photo 583111

photo 583121

photo 583122

photo 583123

photo 583124

Peter
Good morning Peter. No way! This is off the chart, detail, accurate self made blocks. There are many aspects of your Xebec which I will attempt to follow and then there many which are just way above my pay grade- these blocks included. Awesome work:D . Cheers Grant

A small update in between. I've used boiled potato starch (thanks to Ohla Batchvarov @shipphotographer.com) on the foresail and let it dry overnight. She has an excellent video on how to do this placed on Youtube. Just check it out! Thanks Ohla for sharing!
Now the sail has it's final shape like the wind blows into it. I like this method better than diluted white glue.

photo 583178

photo 583179

photo 583177

photo 583180

And because it's my birthday today, the admiral surprised me with a complete paint rack of Vallejo which I will need for a future project. It's a skill a still need to master....I asked for a milling machine, however the admiral has her limits of what's allowed on the dining table.... :rolleyes:

photo 583181

Peter

Hello fellow ship modelers.

This will be my second buildlog on SOS as my first one Santa Maria is finished.
This time another ship, from another time period and from a different manufacturer.
These type of fast ships the "xebecs or jabeques" intrigued me since childhood after reading Redbeard comics. These ships were used by Barbary pirates in the Mediterranean sea and plundered merchant ships, murdered the crew and enslaved the women and childeren which were sold on the black market. Speaking of hellish times...
They were so fast and maneuverable like a barracuda fish in the water. To me, the elongated hull looks pretty similar to a Barracuda fish... maybe it's only in my mind, what can I say.

View attachment 267796

View attachment 267798
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DonAntonioBarcelóConSuJabequeCorreoRindeADosGaleotasArgelinas.jpg

The kit and the box
However, only a few kit's are on the market and the most available (was in stock) for me at this time was the one from OcCre. So, I choose the OcCre model, which is a Spanish version of a Xebec. From what I have seen, OcCre made some shortcuts in their design of this ship and the materials used. This asks for some alternations, but I do like the overall looks of this model.

View attachment 267797

Ref: 14002
Scale: 1:60
Length: 860 mm / approx. 33,8 inch
Width: 160 mm / approx. 6,3 inch
Hight: 630 mm / approx. 24,8 inch
Difficulty: *** out of *****

More information on https://www.occre.com/model-ship/jabeque.html

The box itself is pretty standard for OcCre, all boxes (box-art) are pretty much the same. I've you see one, you see them all, and all materials are nicely packaged.
The kit comes standard with pre-sawn sails which are handy which I probably will alter and a nicely step by step photographed manual.
A downsize of many "modern" kit's are the lumber which is used. They tend to use cheap plywood and Sapelli (reddish kind of mahogany type of wood) instead of the much more preferred Walnut. I will change this as well. The one thing I really dislike is the brown stained plywood which hauls the keel, stem and rudder. In my opinion, this must be solid hardwood / walnut which I'll try to remake.

View attachment 267800

View attachment 267801

View attachment 267802

Next post will be the start of this kit, stay tuned.
Pter
Hallo @Ptèr
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back