Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I see I'm neglecting my buildlog and forget to respond to some of my most prominent followers. I'm sorry guys, thank you @Heinrich @Dean62 @RDN1954 @shota70 @Uwek for your comments. Much appreciated and it makes it all worth while. You guys rock including all the others who are following along. Big Thanks!
In the mean time I've been working very hard earning some money on my daytime job and in the spare hours in the evening after all the kids went to bed, I worked on my ship instead of reading and responding on SoS. My vacation is at my doorstep by the end of this week so, I need to push myself to work hard. Otherwise this project isn't finished by the end of September.... o_O

In a few minutes I will place a new update, stay tuned....

Peter

Main sail and Parrel

Hi guys,

Last week and weekend I've been working very hard on this project. It's a tedious job with all these ropes, blocks, stitching sails, boltropes and so on. You all know the work that's into making models. I've done so many little things, that its hard to mention it all. So let met start with the attachment of boltrope. It's a 0.6mm rope and I need the thinnest needle I can find to get the threat through one of the three threats of the rope. Then I push the needle through the sail fabric and tighten the threat so the boltrope is secured against the edge of the seam of the sail. Using this technique, no threat is seen on the outside of the boltrope which I like. It's a bit more work, but details, details and more details it is for this build I guess.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then the preparations of the reef lines. The cloth is so thick at the place where the reef lines are attached to the sail, that I need a hammer to lightly tap on the head of the needle to get through the layers of cloth. When the end of the needle hits my cutting mat, I turn the sail upside down and push the needle, with the head on my cutting mat, through the cloth.

[IMG]

[IMG]

In the end I've attached all the reef lines on the sail, attached all the needed blocks on the yard and attached the sail on the yard.

[IMG]

Back to the ramshead block. To attach the lower block on the ship, a served rope is made where the ends are attached to rings and hooks. The hooks are then attached on rings that are located on deck behind the main mast.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The lower and upper blocks are attached to each other due to a 0.6mm rope that's running through the sheaves of both blocks.
A 0.9mm rope is looped through the top of the upper block and then goes through to both lower sheaves of the mast head. On the ends of the rope a pin is attached. This pin holds the weight of the entire yard. That means that the rope on the yard that will be attached to this pin, will be served for extra strength. This is seen on the second last photo.

[IMG]

The next picture shows a sideview of the two ramshead blocks located left from the mast and show some of the details of the pair. Between the blocks a single sheave block is attached to the upper block. The function is simple, the upperblock has less sheaves then the lower block. So a block is placed between them to compensate. Another thing that clearly can be seen are the lines that goes through the back top of the lower block and are not behind the block.
Sometimes the word insanity goes through my head to add these kind of details on this scale...ROTF

On the right side of the mast, the parrel tackle is located. The rope is attached to a violin block on the top and a single sheave block at the bottom which eventually ends in a hook that's attached to a ring that's located on deck in front of the mast. The end of the rope is attached to a cleat beside the parrel and located on the mast.

[IMG]

The upper part of the parrel. It's the same as on the Foremast however this one has four tracks instead of three. I've used a double sheave block for the rope of the parrel to lash it around the yard.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The last thing for this update is to secure the ends of the rope of the ramshead blocks on the cleats.

[IMG]

Well, some things I did, didn't made it on the pictures, but I will show in the next update. The running rigging that will manage and control the main sail and yard are made next. This will be done after my vacation trip with my family. I wish you happy modeling the next days and thanks for taking time to read and respond in my log!

Peter

Superb just superb. Your explanations and descriptions are so clear that it makes it easy for a complete rigging noob like myself to follow along without any problem. Anyone choosing to build this model, will find this log of the greatest value.

I see I'm neglecting my buildlog and forget to respond to some of my most prominent followers. I'm sorry guys, thank you @Heinrich @Dean62 @RDN1954 @shota70 @Uwek for your comments. Much appreciated and it makes it all worth while. You guys rock including all the others who are following along. Big Thanks!
In the mean time I've been working very hard earning some money on my daytime job and in the spare hours in the evening after all the kids went to bed, I worked on my ship instead of reading and responding on SoS. My vacation is at my doorstep by the end of this week so, I need to push myself to work hard. Otherwise this project isn't finished by the end of September.... o_O

In a few minutes I will place a new update, stay tuned....

Peter
No worries! Wife, kids, vacation and career before those SOS buddies... ROTF

Morning Peter,

Well, your last update makes it abundantly clear, I still have a long way to go before reaching this level of modeling. Your sails are definitely something else (makes me think again about my own trial of making them) and your rigging details are expertly executed. Can't wait to see you and your Xebec in Amsterdam.

Enjoy your vacation!

Johan

Main sail and Parrel

Hi guys,

Last week and weekend I've been working very hard on this project. It's a tedious job with all these ropes, blocks, stitching sails, boltropes and so on. You all know the work that's into making models. I've done so many little things, that its hard to mention it all. So let met start with the attachment of boltrope. It's a 0.6mm rope and I need the thinnest needle I can find to get the threat through one of the three threats of the rope. Then I push the needle through the sail fabric and tighten the threat so the boltrope is secured against the edge of the seam of the sail. Using this technique, no threat is seen on the outside of the boltrope which I like. It's a bit more work, but details, details and more details it is for this build I guess.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then the preparations of the reef lines. The cloth is so thick at the place where the reef lines are attached to the sail, that I need a hammer to lightly tap on the head of the needle to get through the layers of cloth. When the end of the needle hits my cutting mat, I turn the sail upside down and push the needle, with the head on my cutting mat, through the cloth.

[IMG]

[IMG]

In the end I've attached all the reef lines on the sail, attached all the needed blocks on the yard and attached the sail on the yard.

[IMG]

Back to the ramshead block. To attach the lower block on the ship, a served rope is made where the ends are attached to rings and hooks. The hooks are then attached on rings that are located on deck behind the main mast.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The lower and upper blocks are attached to each other due to a 0.6mm rope that's running through the sheaves of both blocks.
A 0.9mm rope is looped through the top of the upper block and then goes through to both lower sheaves of the mast head. On the ends of the rope a pin is attached. This pin holds the weight of the entire yard. That means that the rope on the yard that will be attached to this pin, will be served for extra strength. This is seen on the second last photo.

[IMG]

The next picture shows a sideview of the two ramshead blocks located left from the mast and show some of the details of the pair. Between the blocks a single sheave block is attached to the upper block. The function is simple, the upperblock has less sheaves then the lower block. So a block is placed between them to compensate. Another thing that clearly can be seen are the lines that goes through the back top of the lower block and are not behind the block.
Sometimes the word insanity goes through my head to add these kind of details on this scale...ROTF

On the right side of the mast, the parrel tackle is located. The rope is attached to a violin block on the top and a single sheave block at the bottom which eventually ends in a hook that's attached to a ring that's located on deck in front of the mast. The end of the rope is attached to a cleat beside the parrel and located on the mast.

[IMG]

The upper part of the parrel. It's the same as on the Foremast however this one has four tracks instead of three. I've used a double sheave block for the rope of the parrel to lash it around the yard.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The last thing for this update is to secure the ends of the rope of the ramshead blocks on the cleats.

[IMG]

Well, some things I did, didn't made it on the pictures, but I will show in the next update. The running rigging that will manage and control the main sail and yard are made next. This will be done after my vacation trip with my family. I wish you happy modeling the next days and thanks for taking time to read and respond in my log!

Peter
Good morning Peter. I have no words left for your work. Wow! Cheers Grant

Main sail and Parrel

Hi guys,

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Peter
Well well, Peter. You have done a lot of work. So now you can relax and go ahead on holiday. Beautiful pictures and explanation of the rigging of this sail.
Regards, Peter

Another master builder at work.
I'm still a student Stephan, but one who has a steap learning curve.... :p Thanks for the compliments!
I agree with Steph, It looks very realistic.
That's the idea! Thanks Jim!
Superb just superb. Your explanations and descriptions are so clear that it makes it easy for a complete rigging noob like myself to follow along without any problem. Anyone choosing to build this model, will find this log of the greatest value.
Well, I hope that this log will help and inspire others Heinrich. To me that's one of the reasons of this forum.
Beautiful work! I must use that rope on the NL. ;)
Hopefully it's strong enough to restrain that lion of yours.... ROTF
Thanks Dean!
Majestic! This is just exemplary on every level! I love following this build report!
And that's mutual my friend!
Morning Peter,

Well, your last update makes it abundantly clear, I still have a long way to go before reaching this level of modeling. Your sails are definitely something else (makes me think again about my own trial of making them) and your rigging details are expertly executed. Can't wait to see you and your Xebec in Amsterdam.

Enjoy your vacation!

Johan

We'll see each other in Amsterdam. Looking forward meeting everybody! Thanks Johan, you are building a fully framed model. Now that's serious high level modeling my friend!
Good morning Peter. I have no words left for your work. Wow! Cheers Grant
Hi Grant, hope to be an inspiration for your Xebec.
Well well, Peter. You have done a lot of work. So now you can relax and go ahead on holiday. Beautiful pictures and explanation of the rigging of this sail.
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter, thanks! I'm ready to have a few days off and enjoy the sunshine and the company of my family. We will meet in September!

Regards,
Peter

Thanks Johan, you are building a fully framed model. Now that's serious high level modeling my friend!
Not in my book Peter, I am just fooling around a little bit, sometimes making a mess and happily surprised if something comes out looking vaguely like the drawing. Don't know about you, but I can point out countless little or may be not so little deviations and errors, which needed cover up...
Your model however.....

Back