Bluenose - Model Shipways MS2130 - 1/64 - By JeffT [COMPLETED BUILD]

Once I get the rigging mostly finished I will take some more detailed pictures.

Any suggestions on the best way to add rope coils would be helpful. I have not found a way that I truly like on my other models.
On belaying pins, I add after I've belaid the line. On rails, I thread the line through it before I tie it off. Then I slide it down to position.

Main sail completed. This is a big sail. Attaching the bolt rope, adding reef lines, and making the gaff and boom were time consuming with lots of metal work on the gaff & boom. I missed taking pictures of the gaff and boom, but they can be seen in the picture. And, yes, the sail was photographed hanging from a clothes drying line and then flipped in post processing. I will straighten the reef lines after the sail in mounted.

IMG_7501.jpg

Last edited:
Main sail completed. This is a big sail. Attaching the bolt rope, adding reef lines, and making the gaff and boom were time consuming with lots of metal work on the gaff & boom. I missed taking pictures of the gaff and boom, but they can be seen in the picture. And, yes, the sail was photographed hang from a clothes drying line and then flipped in post processing. I will straighten the reef lines after the sail in mounted.

View attachment 389099
A impressive looking main sail, Jeff. Almost ready to catch the wind.
Regards, Peter

Main sail completed. This is a big sail. Attaching the bolt rope, adding reef lines, and making the gaff and boom were time consuming with lots of metal work on the gaff & boom. I missed taking pictures of the gaff and boom, but they can be seen in the picture. And, yes, the sail was photographed hanging from a clothes drying line and then flipped in post processing. I will straighten the reef lines after the sail in mounted.

View attachment 389099
Good morning Jeff. Nice one. I like the rope hanks as well. When you have plenty of hanks all over, it looks awesome. Cheers Grant

View attachment 389099
Jeff, making the sails and attaching them is definitely a painstaking and long process. Nevertheless, you pulled this one off rather nicely. Hoist it, pull tight the sheet and off to unknown destinations.

All of the sails are in place. I need to do some more rigging (primarily jib sheets), rope coils and straighten reef ropes on the main sail to finalize the rigging & sails. I still need to mount anchors and the dories on the ship. I haven't yet decided on a IMG_7511.jpgstand and will need to do that soon as well.

All of the sails are in place. I need to do some more rigging (primarily jib sheets), rope coils and straighten reef ropes on the main sail to finalize the rigging & sails. I still need to mount anchors and the dories on the ship. I haven't yet decided on a View attachment 391352stand and will need to do that soon as well.
You gave done a impressive rigging job, Jeff.
Regards, Peter

All of the sails are in place. I need to do some more rigging (primarily jib sheets), rope coils and straighten reef ropes on the main sail to finalize the rigging & sails. I still need to mount anchors and the dories on the ship. I haven't yet decided on a View attachment 391352stand and will need to do that soon as well.
Good morning Jeff. Lovely sails. I love pics of the whole ship and your BN is great. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jeff. Lovely sails. I love pics of the whole ship and your BN is great. Cheers Grant
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words, Grant. I should be in a position to take final pictures in a few weeks or so. I haven't figured out how to deal with the wrong Canadian flag supplied with the kit and still need to finalize thoughts and construction of a stand (along with a few more details like mounting the anchors and making oars for the dories). Maybe it will be more that a few weeks?!

Last edited:
Simply beautiful. I’ll be anxiously waiting for to see how you mount it as I haven’t decided yet what to do with my BN. My wife has suggested a simple wooden stand instead of the brass posts.

Simply beautiful. I’ll be anxiously waiting for to see how you mount it as I haven’t decided yet what to do with my BN. My wife has suggested a simple wooden stand instead of the brass posts.
I am leaning toward a simple cradle type of stand as well. I have already cut one out, but I not sure I will use it.

I have installed the running lights. The plans and book show these and the lights are included as metal parts, however, the brackets need to be fashioned from wood strips. I used 1/64" planking strips from another model to make them. The one on the port side is painted red.
IMG_7517.jpg

I hung the full anchor on the port side using blackened chain left over from a previous build. The anchor chain is wrapped around the windlass and terminates in the chain box behind the motor casing. The other (unassembled) anchor is lying on the starboard side of the deck.
IMG_7524.jpg

I have installed the running lights. The plans and book show these and the lights are included as metal parts, however, the brackets need to be fashioned from wood strips. I used 1/64" planking strips from another model to make them. The one on the port side is painted red.
View attachment 392138

I hung the full anchor on the port side using blackened chain left over from a previous build. The anchor chain is wrapped around the windlass and terminates in the chain box behind the motor casing. The other (unassembled) anchor is lying on the starboard side of the deck.
View attachment 392140
Good evening Jeff. Nice touch the lights. Green starboard and red port right??? ROTF. The anchor looks cool and it is good to see a close up of all your detail on the fore deck again. Cheers Grant

Green starboard and red port as I it remember from small boat handling class at Culver Summer School. Also, from the instructions on the plans!

Finishing making the oars in the next couple of days and working on a stand. I also have a proper flag to make. The maple leaf flag (supplied with the kit) was not the official flag of Canada until 1965.

Green starboard and red port as I it remember from small boat handling class at Culver Summer School. Also, from the instructions on the plans!

Finishing making the oars in the next couple of days and working on a stand. I also have a proper flag to make. The maple leaf flag (supplied with the kit) was not the official flag of Canada until 1965.
I thought green was for go and red was for stop!

Back