Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

Sorry to hear your fingers got squeezed.

About two years ago I got tip of finger inside guard of palm router, ouch was not the word Inused. Fortunately not much serious damage but it did slow down lots of things.

Best wishes on speedy recovery.

everything is correct with the parts - the rudder of the Belle Poule has a recess at the end

Here some excerpts from the Jean Boudriot drawings of the Belle Poule

IMG_3184.jpg IMG_3185.jpg

to make it completely correct, please take also a look at the changing width of the rudder plate - on the top the blade is wider and getting thinner towards the bottom - and also the cross section is thinner fore and aft

Now the Rudder.

I was not too happy with the brass rod for the pintles as the diameter was a tad too much at 1.55mm. So, I decided to turn my own. Stock bin had some .25 inch stainless steel as far as I could tell. So, I turned them down to 1.30mm and cut them to 3.55mm in length. Using a Parting Tool is perfect for this type of operation, just make sure your parting tool is as close as you can get it to the Tool Post (for rigidity). Then make about .30mm DOC (Depth of Cuts), then finish final diameter with about .100 mm cuts and continue to measure with calipers or micrometers.

rudder06.jpg

rudder04.jpg

rudder05.jpg

Hallo my friend,

before you make them now all, maybe you prepare for checking the other side of that hinch in order to see if this is working.
For me, as a first look, the pin is looking still too thick to get into a shell or sleeve fixed at the sternpost

more rudder.

I clamped the hull side brass strip and then used a pick took to pick a line-up hole. Then using a drill to drill the holes. I then put the hull side brass strip back on, using the pick tool to line-up holes again, then inserted the nails.

I assume naturally, that those brass nails on a real ship are all blackened with tar and not left shiny like that. I will most likely paint over the nails with a flat black.

rudder07.jpg

rudder08.jpg

rudder09.jpg

Wow Donnie - it seems like you have really put the hammer down in the time that I was away. The Belle is looking great and as to all those small, fiddly detailed parts - they represent a job very well done!

Thank you Heinrich, et all. I appreciate the compliments. My job (at work) is getting more attention and traveling might be a part of it for a while. So, I am trying to get done as much as I can before my real job takes over. In the meantime . . . did I say I am not a fan of rudders? But, it is what it is and this is something that you can not rush, but requires steady hands and concentration without a doubt.

Workbench view and rudder closeup so far. So, what I do is I hold or clamp the strip in place and take a pic to mark off holes, then follow up with a drill. I really love my micro mark drill as it rotates at about 4 to 6 RPM very slow and precise. You can see this on the bench with a 1/8 shank bit from Eurotool.

Now, I am debating about painting the strips all flat black (including the nails). I don't think a real ship is going to have brass tipped nails.

1689439007929.png

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 11-30-44 Ultra-Slim Power Tech Driver Set.png

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 11-32-14 Ultra-Slim Power Tech Driver Set.png

rudder10.jpg

rudder11.jpg

1689438945921.png

The bolts of such hinches were made our of iron - so they should be black - you could carefully dipp the brass heads with some blackening stuff on a fine brush.
BTW: Are the boldheads some "tiny nails" from Dry-dock-models?

Hi Tobias - very interesting.

Well, the Rudder is done. I turn the page in the manual and (humm) - no mention of any chains for the rudder. Well, I can add them later if I wish. You would think of all the details that the chains would be one of the foremost things to add (??). However, no big deal.

rudder12.jpg

rudder13.jpg

rudder14.jpg

Well done my friend - the hinges on the rudder as well the ringbolts etc. are looking very good
The security chains I would install much later, when your stern is finished

Thank you all very much !!!

Well, it is now time for the Stern. I was off today having some medical tests done (which did not turn out the best in the world), but while I was home, I was able to remove some of the decorations from the CNC piece. Very delicate operation / make sure you have a brand new exacto in your knife.

stern01.jpg

stern02.jpg

stern03.jpg

Back