Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

Terry,
you are not out of line. I can make my own out of brass or steel, but my time was limited + suffered an injury. I might go back and make one out of 12L14 Steel later.

As a side note. I only have the use of one hand right now. I got my finger caught in a Grease Gun while showing the wife how to operate it - I will spare all the details. Its going to take a long time to heal. - therefore, that was another reason why I could not machine the Bell.
... and you are wondering how did I make these parts ? - very slow and very carefully.
:(
Dear Donnie I was sorry to read about your hand injury, I wish you a speedy and full recovery:rolleyes:

Terry,
you are not out of line. I can make my own out of brass or steel, but my time was limited + suffered an injury. I might go back and make one out of 12L14 Steel later.

As a side note. I only have the use of one hand right now. I got my finger caught in a Grease Gun while showing the wife how to operate it - I will spare all the details. Its going to take a long time to heal. - therefore, that was another reason why I could not machine the Bell.
... and you are wondering how did I make these parts ? - very slow and very carefully.
:(
Hi Donnie, The part is so small, would it be wrong to simply paint the bell a bronze color?
I feel really sorry about your injury, and I pray that it will heal quickly.

Yep - Albert, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that - I tried to figure out some options to get those up high enough ---making larger wheels would have been the necessary action (only option) that I could see. But, it is what it is and I have to move on. This of course is not my only model and I already feel like I have spent too much time on the cannon rigging as is.

Greetings Albert, @albertmary
From the historical point of view, most (if not all) French naval guns have front and rear tracks of the same size. Here are some drafts from the book Artillerie De Mer by J, Boudriout

View attachment 379881

View attachment 379882
View attachment 379883

View attachment 379884
You're aboslutely right. I did not know that pattern... . Are your trunnions correctly reproduced?

I was wondering if it could get any tinier - I was wrong, it IS getting tinier and ridiculous too small. Oh well, This piece even though more intricate seemed to work out better than the other one.

The Bell is about 2mm in diameter.

deck-items79.jpg

deck-items80.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Novichok,
I will take a photo of the whole ship soon.

The instructions for the ladder/stairs installed at the mentioned location are misleading. From the shape of the stairs, it can only go in one way. However, even with that, which direction port or starboard? Therefore, there is a little house if you will that sits on top of the stairs. The little house has french doors. It is presumed that upon opening the doors, you are now faced with the staircase that will lead to the lower deck.

deck-items88.jpg

Here is a modified drawing of the instruction.

layout-stairs-manual-correction.jpg

Now comes the Rudder. I am not a fan of Rudders either - as - in the past, trying to get the pintles and other parts to line up were quite a mess. However, I think this kit has a better way of accomplishing this.

The Rudder is made up of a large sandwich of 8 parts. For those of you, this is straightforward, and some others might find it a challenge to figure out from the instruction manual - I fall somewhere in between as the manual is a little strange to figure out the 3D drawings.

Therefore, the first batch of pics - and - these are all dry fit. The purpose of the ruler just shows that the backside of the rudder is not all flush but has a recess in it.

rudder01.jpg

rudder02.jpg

rudder03.jpg

Now comes the Rudder. I am not a fan of Rudders either - as - in the past, trying to get the pintles and other parts to line up were quite a mess. However, I think this kit has a better way of accomplishing this.

The Rudder is made up of a large sandwich of 8 parts. For those of you, this is straightforward, and some others might find it a challenge to figure out from the instruction manual - I fall somewhere in between as the manual is a little strange to figure out the 3D drawings.

Therefore, the first batch of pics - and - these are all dry fit. The purpose of the ruler just shows that the backside of the rudder is not all flush but has a recess in it.

View attachment 382949

View attachment 382950

View attachment 382951
Good morning Donnie, I hope I'm doing you a favor with this image, sourced from Web.Frank

yyyyy.jpg

Back