Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

January 7, 2022 9:00 PM

Today, with a little excitement and a lot of apprehensions, I am now proceeding with Sail & Sail's Model of the Belle Poule. I say apprehension due to the fact of a few models in the past gave me at times unpleasant experiences. I hope that this one proves to be different. I believe that it could have the potential. So join me if you wish into this new adventure as the shipyard prepares the necessary tools to create a model that hopefully will be a refreshing experience.

The first picture is just a peek into the core contents for now. More images of the contents will unfold as time goes and permits.

View attachment 281293
which brand is this one zhl/ magnoli?

Harry,
You will really like the Belle Poule. ALL of the planking (Hull and Deck) are pres shaped the way planking is supposed to be instead of having a bundle of strips. Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with the bundle of strips that other kits have. I am only saying that tapering and shaping of the timbers has already been done for you. You have to take into consideration that there is a lot of design and prototyping that goes into a model. I would say that the Belle Poule is still an excellent kit even though I might find a problem from time to time. It does not compare to the overall great experience. The manual is done in both 2D and 3D with very clear step by step instructions even outlining which parts to use.
So, my recommendation is to go for it and now you have my build log as a practical tutorial and practicum to go by. And by the way, of all things, start a build log.

yeah i just look at the website its a ZHL model from China! good one , already had three model from them !
Not a Zhl Model ,you can buy the kit here and cheaper

So, after about 3 or so straight hours of gruesome work of busting up planks - regluing - refitting - etc. I am finally at the end of this ordeal.
[ I am not happy with the camera. This is camera #2 - and it is starting to show its age - I just can't seem to get the focus I want ] time for a major upgrade on the camera - and yes, this is the guy that wrote the article on "Ship Photography" - HA !!!!

I think the results look fair enough - considering I had to bust up a lot of decking work. The brass pulleys must be sanded down to make them fit - in other words to reduce the width and make them a little thinner.

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

Great job there! It looks eventually like the carriages are a bit too low for that bulwark. Even a small breech quoin wouldn't be allowed that way.
From other pics, front and rear trucks seem of the same radius, a figure that, in my humble opinion, looks unlikely under the historical point of view.

Yep - Albert, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that - I tried to figure out some options to get those up high enough ---making larger wheels would have been the necessary action (only option) that I could see. But, it is what it is and I have to move on. This of course is not my only model and I already feel like I have spent too much time on the cannon rigging as is.

From other pics, front and rear trucks seem of the same radius, a figure that, in my humble opinion, looks unlikely under the historical point of view.
Greetings Albert, @albertmary
From the historical point of view, most (if not all) French naval guns have front and rear tracks of the same size. Here are some drafts from the book Artillerie De Mer by J, Boudriout

IMG_2810.JPEG

IMG_2811.JPEG
IMG_2813.JPEG

IMG_2814.JPEG

Donnie,
Black implies "Bell Metal" was not used, or worse yet, that the Ship's Bell was painted. Who would do that?
Please forgive me if I'm out of line here. Terry

Terry,
you are not out of line. I can make my own out of brass or steel, but my time was limited + suffered an injury. I might go back and make one out of 12L14 Steel later.

As a side note. I only have the use of one hand right now. I got my finger caught in a Grease Gun while showing the wife how to operate it - I will spare all the details. Its going to take a long time to heal. - therefore, that was another reason why I could not machine the Bell.
... and you are wondering how did I make these parts ? - very slow and very carefully.
:(

Back