Another Hayling 1760 build

Today's problem....
Due to the fun and games with my foredeck and supports and my decision to increase the galley deck, I've moved on to assembling and trial fitting of the windlass supports to make sure it all goes together OK and It looks like I won't have any problems. Thumbsup

However there looks to be a problem with the cut out in the windlass supports X10 and part M1b. The cut out in X10 for M1B is about 5.5mm deep but M1b is cut from a 4mm sheet leaving an ugly gap:

M1b.jpg

IMG_20221017_131709_609.jpg

I know it's not catastrophic (there are lots of things we could do to hide this) but I think Victor and Co need to alter the laser cutting app for future kits.
Unless, of course, there is another reason for the gap????
Tom

Hit another problem...

Step 45 shows only the 2 supplied carlings (M9) between these beams but there are 2 extra cut outs in parts M4a and M5c - shown here by the red dots suggesting there should be 3 carlings.

Victor, can you help please?

Carling 2.jpg

Hit another problem...

Step 45 shows only the 2 supplied carlings (M9) between these beams but there are 2 extra cut outs in parts M4a and M5c - shown here by the red dots suggesting there should be 3 carlings.

Victor, can you help please?

View attachment 335460
Maybe you show us your beams with a photo?
It seems, that the sandwich was not correct build.
Taking a look at the construction photos we can see, that the outer beam segment for forming the recesses is not correct.
The beams you show in the skecth are forming the fore and aft main beam next to the main hatch
IMG_20220403_201548.jpg

Maybe you show us your beams with a photo?
It seems, that the sandwich was not correct build.
Taking a look at the construction photos we can see, that the outer beam segment for forming the recesses is not correct.
The beams you show in the skecth are forming the fore and aft main beam next to the main hatch
View attachment 335473
This is how mine looks Uwek. Just like your photo but with an extra recess in the middle where your arrow points to:
IMG_20221020_132736_928.jpg

Hatch07102018.thumb.jpg.f46e0241de13220112842c2fc960b2a6.jpg
Judging by the pic above (Hayling Hoy Monography by Antscherl) the longitudinal beam partin' the main hatch in two halves doesn't require that extra recess at all. I'm seriously considering to buy this book in advance just to prevent all these crabs...

Last edited:
View attachment 335517
Judging by the pic above (Hayling Hoy Monography by Antscherl) the longitudinal beam partin' the main hatch in two halves doesn't require that extra recess at all. I'm seriously considering to buy this book in advance just to prevent all these grabs...
Just be aware that the kit is not based on the book

View attachment 335517
Judging by the pic above (Hayling Hoy Monography by Antscherl) the longitudinal beam partin' the main hatch in two halves doesn't require that extra recess at all. I'm seriously considering to buy this book in advance just to prevent all these grabs...
Thanks for this Albertmary, it's lead me to uncover lots more info about this ship and it also means that I'll be able to build the hatch the way it's done in this photo. Yes. kit bashing is about to begin in earnest!!!! Thumbsup

Thanks for this Albertmary, it's lead me to uncover lots more info about this ship and it also means that I'll be able to build the hatch the way it's done in this photo. Yes. kit bashing is about to begin in earnest!!!! Thumbsup
Hi Tom, seems you are the BETA tester, thanks for that. LOL. I have slowed considerably, but just about to finish the hull, than god. Looking forward to getting on to the fitting out. I hope that Victor is going to issue a set of instructions to reflect the items discussed recently.

Incidentally, although I am watching this ( and other other posts) I dont seem to be getting email alerts anymore, any ideas any one.

Again, thank you Tom for keeping the faith.

Hi Tom, seems you are the BETA tester, thanks for that. LOL. I have slowed considerably, but just about to finish the hull, than god. Looking forward to getting on to the fitting out. I hope that Victor is going to issue a set of instructions to reflect the items discussed recently.

Incidentally, although I am watching this ( and other other posts) I dont seem to be getting email alerts anymore, any ideas any one.

Again, thank you Tom for keeping the faith.
Hi Colin yes, Victor and Co have gone a bit quiet recently, perhaps they'll be back soon. I love the 'BETA tester' label Thumbsup .

Here's the next problem:
The knees are incorrectly labeled on the PDF. M14 is the aft knee while M15 is the forward knee.

Knees.jpg

I nearly started reshaping M14 when fitting it because I thought my build was slightly wonky - then I realised the error. So I thought I'd mention it.

Tom

Back