Another Hayling 1760 build

Hi Colin yes, Victor and Co have gone a bit quiet recently, perhaps they'll be back soon. I love the 'BETA tester' label Thumbsup .

Here's the next problem:
The knees are incorrectly labeled on the PDF. M14 is the aft knee while M15 is the forward knee.

View attachment 336219

I nearly started reshaping M14 when fitting it because I thought my build was slightly wonky - then I realised the error. So I thought I'd mention it.

Tom
The errors are building up aren't they! But you are obviously the man for the job. Well done. I have always enjoyed building a kit that needs some "work" to it, so personally not worried. Even though I would be up with you if it wasn't for the very first set of instructions being wrong and having to redo 1-8 frames.

The errors are building up aren't they! But you are obviously the man for the job. Well done. I have always enjoyed building a kit that needs some "work" to it, so personally not worried. Even though I would be up with you if it wasn't for the very first set of instructions being wrong and having to redo 1-8 frames.
You might be taking over as beta builder soon Colin! I've ordered some beech wood for the deck planking, hatch surround etc. to enable me to go freelance for the rest of the build because of all the errors.

Here's the latest one. The inner and outer upper planks are wrongly numbered (it took me a while to see what was wrong but got there in the end Thumbsup ). I've updated PDF page which I hope can be understood:

Planking.jpg

You'll also find that parts 5B and 6A are all the same length so 5B needs chopping. I haven't looked at the wales yet. :(
Cheers
Tom

I've emailed Victor just now. I hope he gets back to me.

Hi Victor,
I’ve hit several more problems with my build (which I’ve posted to the SOS Forum) but you haven’t replied to or added any helpful tips which you usually do. Is everything OK?

Please get back to me because I’m convinced that this will be a superb model once the bugs are ironed out.

Regards

Tom

Hallo,
would it not better to show us your work on the model a little bit more?
Would be much more interesting than type writing errors (which are important no question)
but sometimes a photo of your "work in progress" would be great

Hallo,
Would be much more interesting than type writing errors (which are important no question)
I would imagine it is difficult to make progress if you have to work around so many errors.

Hallo,
I haven't actually done much to the model to warrant photos. My posts just show what I have found by looking through the instructions and doing trial runs Uwek. I will post photos when I've got something to show. :)

Hi Tom, for the first issue, the extra slots shouldn't be there cus we removed the middle beam later on as we think it was unnecessary. We forgot to remove the slot however, so there's such a slot. You can choose to make a beam in the middle using the 3mm sheet.
For the knees, normally they should be labeled in a ascending order from bow to stern, this one was special however, so that there was a labeling error in the instruction. Yes the forward one should be M15 and aft one should be M14.
For the inside planking, the order should be:
1666704258412.png
sorry for the late reply, was unwell last week so i didn't browse SOS much, instructions will be updated, i hope all these helps.

Hi Tom, for the first issue, the extra slots shouldn't be there cus we removed the middle beam later on as we think it was unnecessary. We forgot to remove the slot however, so there's such a slot. You can choose to make a beam in the middle using the 3mm sheet.
For the knees, normally they should be labeled in a ascending order from bow to stern, this one was special however, so that there was a labeling error in the instruction. Yes the forward one should be M15 and aft one should be M14.
For the inside planking, the order should be:
View attachment 336403
sorry for the late reply, was unwell last week so i didn't browse SOS much, instructions will be updated, i hope all these helps.
Sorry to hear that you weren't well Victor. I hope you are OK now. Thanks for the update.

Along with some remedial work (I don't know how I managed it but the deck beams were not exactly level with each other :oops: ), it's taken a few false starts and internet searches for me to come up with what I think is a suitable style of main hatch coaming and ended up with this...

IMG_20221028_134109_789.jpg

I've also made new small hatch coamings of slightly different dimensions from the kit supplied ones. I used bass wood because it's easy to work with and I've got loads left over from the Model Shipways kits I've made.

My next step will be to install the inner and outer planking.

I still haven't decided on beech or pear yet for the deck planking but I am favoring the pear because the wood I have is quite pale compared to the wood in the kit and might give a nice bit of contrast but not as extreme as beech. We'll see.

Cheers

Hello again. I've now started to plank the decks with the paler pear wood strip that I've bought. I've used a simplified decking design because I haven't the skill to do it as per the prototype ship. I plan to leave several areas without decking to show the inner construction but not decided exactly how much and where yet.

IMG_20221103_102601_713.jpg

I needed to make the windlass before deciding what to do in the area around it and came across a bit of a problem. There are 7 too many X17h and X17f parts and one too few X17g parts (?).
Luckily, the missing part is a small blank piece and can easily be made using a cut off from one of the extra bits.

Hopefully, this has already been fixed in later batches Victor?

Windlass.jpg
Windlass 2.jpg

That's all for now.
Cheers

Hi Tom,
It looks like I missed something in between. Why did you judge the stuff included unfit?

Outsourcing development work to us suckers a conscious strategy from, among other things, the car industry. And we suckers accept it, if the manufacturer's service is perceived as good. How is this, do you think?

Clever policy of Model Dockyard to outsource their kit development work to us suckers. Hope they send you another kit for free in lieu of work done. JJ.
I kinda never heard, that 'us' suckers requested a new kit from other famous manufacturers (not to mention their names) because of their bad plans, instructions, and parts discrepancies.

Mistakes are an unavoidable part of any production. True, they can be minimized to a certain degree, therefore companies have different revisions of the same kit, where they correct found mistakes and implement some of the improvements.

But I leave this part up to the manufacturers, though. I am talking about FUN, the main and far most important component of our hobby! We substitute the fun of building the models with demands and complaints! Those days, with modern technology tools at the disposal of the manufacturers, we demand that any kit became a LEGO (nothing wrong about the LEGO, I love it!!) Come on, folks!

I wish I can have an image of the first-ever wooden kit I build when I was 12, back in the USSR, but I do remember it! It was a set of various shape timbers and a sheet of instructions. I suppose to use the plane, knives, and fret saw to cut, shape, and... yes make a model! I don't recall complaining...instead, I want to build more...

No offense here, but reading all the whinings, I sometimes think to invent a robot that will assemble the models, I will only program it, in fact, hire someone to program, and yes...watch what he doing! Is this the fun we want? I don't think so, IMHO. ;)

I agree with you in what you say. But there is a certain difference between a manufacturer missing something or doing something wrong in the development of a model and when you do a sloppy job and rush out a product without it being properly worked out. Unfortunately, this is a trend in all technological developments today. I myself work as a technical engineer and see this often. And of course, building models is fun, and should be fun, but sometimes professional technical thinking is challenged.

As I see it Model Dockyard have rushed out, most likely for cash flow reasons, their kits too soon and underdeveloped and are paying the price with customer dissatisfaction. They might also have to look into their quality control procedures judged by the many logs I have seen where the builder has had to have parts replaced. Every one who builds a model from a kit wants a challenge to build a great ship, but I am sure they don't want to be lead down the wrong street with confusing instructions and bits that are just wrong. I hope Model Dockyard have a great future but they have to keep the customer satisfied. JJ.

Back