Amerigo Vespucci Mantua/Panart 1:84

I have no experience of this process so was intrigued to see it in the instructions. The AV is a steel hulled ship so I suppose mantua think the doping will give a much smoother finish. They provide the tissue with the kit, but not the fluid.
I will attempt to get a good finish with good planking, filler and sanding. I'll practice tissue and dope on an offcut before trying on the model to see if it adds any value.
Any help/pointers from members with experience of this process would be very welcome.
Another 5 planks this afternoon, about 4 an hour, but still no shaping, then it will take longer I expect.
Hi Barcomad
FYI, I only did 1 planking on my AV and used primer filler to get a smooth hull

My only experience with tissue and dope has been with model aircraft not on boats. I did the same as above ie. one planking, filling and sanding, three coats of primer, one of acrylic (various colours) and finished with a coat of satin varnish.

Thanks for the advice. I am still way off finishing the first layer planking so will address the question of finish when I get there. I expect that, with the right fillers and primers the tissue and dope won´t be necessary
Meanwhile - Planking, planking and more planking (about 20 hours so far).IMG_20230805_164910.jpg

Happy to say that I have completed the first layer planking on both sides. will now start on the stern and hopefully be ready to sand and fill after the weekend.
Hours and hours....View attachment 389031View attachment 389032
Good morning. Great job. You will sand that planking into a fine base for the second layer….and then it starts all over again:D. Cheers Grant

Hi Barcomad, my opinion, I would do the caulking inside the hull with Gauze and glue or with epoxy.Frank
The instructions call for the deck plates to be fixed before planking the hull so now I have no access to caulk the interior.
The deck plates must be in place because the upper part of the planking has to attach to them.
Or am I misunderstanding you?
IMG_20230812_150227.jpg

Not sure what the devil has to do with it. However I have painted the inside of a hull on completion of planking to strengthen it if that is what is meant by caukling it
Mike , the devil you mentioned You.Frank

Because I have to plank the fire deck before I complete the hull planking I now have to decide how this is too be done. The kit provides 3mm planks for the decks which scale up to 250mm wide. The actual ship has 112mm decking with 15mm caulking. (See photos on the link in my previous post). So I should theoretically cut these strips in half.
Not sure that this will look right on such a large model. IMG_20230813_175354.jpg
I would appreciate your views. To go with what is right or what looks right.
??

Back