Amerigo Vespucci Mantua/Panart 1:84

Progress is very slow. It's just far too hot on the terrace to file and sand the ribs and reinforcing parts. (The lady does not allow all that dust inside, and it is her birthday today so no arguments!)
However ticking on with bits and pieces. IMG_20230715_153402.jpg

Thanks guys.
I'll recheck the shape of the bow today.
The planking by Shinglish was done with different planks, maybe an older kit, requiring far less than mine 25 per side. At 6mm width I will need more like 36.
Which ever it is a big job and worth spending time to get it right.
The instructions say that the process should take 8 hours at 10 planks per hour. I'm going at nothing like that speed, nor do I want to. I'm not going to rush it.
Probably wait until I have seen the real ship. Leaving tomorrow, back Sunday, so further updates next week.

I have to say that the planking time estimate mentioned in the booklet was not accurate for me either.
WHen I was at that stage I probably did 3-4 planks per day on each side.
Good luck

I have to say that the planking time estimate mentioned in the booklet was not accurate for me either.
WHen I was at that stage I probably did 3-4 planks per day on each side.
Good luck
Yep!
6 + hours for the first 14 planks...

My progress was much slower - it's one of the things I want to improve in my next project. I soaked most planks in water, heated them for bending, and then let the curved planks dry on the frame. Then I glued it on the frame. I used wood glue that requires 24h to dry (bought UHY Hart now). I did at most two planks a day (one on each side), but often a bit less. Planking a hull always takes much time. Ahum, this partly explains why it took me 10 years to finish this massive ship :)

Arrived in Gran Canaria to see a huge plume of black smoke coming from the port. It seems to be coming from behind where the AV is moored but it's too late for me to go there to check.
By the time I was settled in my hotel the smoke was dying down and I could just about make out the AV in the distance.
The photo is not so good but if you expand it to the max the AV appears to be OK. But for a moment I was worried. IMG_20230720_221815.jpg

Arrived in Gran Canaria to see a huge plume of black smoke coming from the port. It seems to be coming from behind where the AV is moored but it's too late for me to go there to check.
By the time I was settled in my hotel the smoke was dying down and I could just about make out the AV in the distance.
The photo is not so good but if you expand it to the max the AV appears to be OK. But for a moment I was worried. View attachment 385844
If it was in Las Palmas ? Yesterday was a fir in a cool store, so no danger for the ship

Back from Gran Canaria.
What a beautiful ship!
I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them from my camera onto a means to load them up.
Meanwhile back to the model.
After Grant's comments I looked carefully at the geometry of the bow and the spacing of the supports. Having sanded the bow reinforcing to make the bow more concave than before the longest unsupported distance is 7cm, but that is at deck level where there is a panel. Below that the span quickly reduces and I think, given that I am going to put two layers (2mm + 1.5mm planks) plus tissue and dope, the shape will hold with the current number of ribs.
Made a start on the planking before my trip and now got back to it.. Not attempted any shaped planks yet, just taking my time. IMG_20230727_162837.jpg

Tell me do, what is the tissue and dope for ? Is it to get a smooth finish because it looks like, with planking of that quality that sandpaper would be fine.
I have no experience of this process so was intrigued to see it in the instructions. The AV is a steel hulled ship so I suppose mantua think the doping will give a much smoother finish. They provide the tissue with the kit, but not the fluid.
I will attempt to get a good finish with good planking, filler and sanding. I'll practice tissue and dope on an offcut before trying on the model to see if it adds any value.
Any help/pointers from members with experience of this process would be very welcome.
Another 5 planks this afternoon, about 4 an hour, but still no shaping, then it will take longer I expect.

Back