ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

John

I know we have touched on this subject before and in short a Forum is where learn and also Teach. That is what a forum is all about.

You are doing an excellent build with an excellent kit.

I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers
Geoff

Peglegreg said:
G'day John
Thanks for the very good explanation of blackening brass.
Where do you buy Copper Carbonate here in Australia?
Been looking at hobby shops for some forms of blackening, but can't find anything at all?
Regarding the decking timber/ What size do ZHL supply in the kit. L x D x W?
Havagoodone mate
Greg

G'day Greg, I bought my Copper carbonate from a chemical supplier in Adelaide a few years ago, if you google it should come up with something,

as for the gratings I am just going to leave them as they are, but thanks for the offer,

best regards John.

231.jpg
On the top of the capstan there is a Star that has been laser cut into the top,

230.jpg
this is a pic of the etched part that goes in that place

232.jpg
The star in place

233.jpg
Also they give you in the kit a piece of thin brass wire that is inserted in holes that you have to drill around
the capstan top, you just drill a shallow hole insert the piece of brass wire then tap it in, I think it is just for decoration.

237.jpg
View of the varnished main gratings, I know the top of the gratings would probably have been unvarnished but I like this look.

Last edited:
Greg in answer to your question, the sub decking is plywood and the deck planks that are laid on it are, 6mm wide x .5mm thick x 120mm long, and they have two nail holes at one end and one nail hole at the other, hope this helps you,

best regards John

PS have attached a couple of pics.

234.jpg

235.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John:
I have never seen so many high quality finely detailed parts in a kit, your excellent craftmanship is making her into a real beauty.
Mike

This is how a kit supposed to look like,my Mantua kit has only laser cut plywoods and ugly decorations.I had to scratch build everything.

Thanks John for that information. I'm like every else, can't believe how much quality details are in that kit.

:banana-rock:
Havagooday mate
Greg

Thanks for the comments, Mike, Joseph, Zoly and Greg, they are much appreciated,

best regards John.

A few pics of the capstan fixed in place, I'm still thinking on whether to add the capstan bars or not, thanks for looking,

best regards John.

238.jpg

239.jpg

240.jpg

241.jpg

Last edited:
John,I am pretty sure this is a dream kit to work on for you. :text-coolphotos:

zoly99sask said:
John,I am pretty sure this is a dream kit to work on for you. :text-coolphotos:

GaryM said:
I agree with Zoltan. You are doing the kit justice and I am enjoying your log.

thanks guys, yes I'm really enjoying this one, they have made an amazing kit, and even without the English instructions, she is going together great, it is a credit to their thought processes and the technology they use, thanks for looking in,

best regards John.

I'm envious , but with a Santa Ana & CC Victory yet to start, I'd never get around to it.
Awsome beast and beautiful workmanship

FYI to others Cloudy amonia is avail at bunnings / coles etc Au
Copper Carbonate can be obtained from walkerceramics.com.au in Victoria

cheers Paul V

Thank you Paul for the nice comments and the Infomation, from memory I think I paid approx $1.50 for the cloudy ammonia, and Approx $16 for the Copper Carbonate, but there is heaps of it, enough to last me, another blackener is Caseys Gun black, I believe you can get it in different shades from a blue / black to a bronze colour, thanks again for your visit,

best regards John.

John

You are now getting me drooling over this kit.

You are correct with the "Birchwood Casey Brass Black" They do sell other product like blue etc. Brian could tell us more about this I thin he used it on his pieces on his ZHL kit. Maybe this should be a new topic

Attachments

• brassblack.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 294
Yes, thats the one Geoff, probably get it at gun shops or I know you can get it on ebay, thanks for sharing,

best regards John,

PS have sent a tissue for your Drools.

Back