ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

This last post now brings me up to date on my build, so things will be going a little slower from now on, thank you again for looking and I hope you enjoy,

best regards John.

G'day John
I'm far from an expert in historical ships, but I would assume that the paint back then, would more like a 'wash' rather than the paint as we have today. So a varnish would be closer to paint for the Royal Caroline period.
So what I'm trying say, keep the varnish as you got it now and don't paint.

Up to date, and I'm sure in the future to the end, your work has been a shining example of what to do on this amazing kit. Well done
Havagooday mate
Greg

hi John,
I see the Friedrich Wilhelm in the background and I have built her and Royal William by Euromodel kits some time ago.

I have to say, Euromodel kits are more expensive than ZHL, but ZHL is infinitely superior from my first hand experience building top shelf models from both manufacturers.

Thanks Greg and Brian,
Brian I have to agree with you about Euro Model, I was rather disappointed when I received my Friedrich Wilhelm, they show all sorts of things on the plan, like cannon balls in racks, gun carriages with blocks and rigging, they show on the plans the right type of capstan and give you the wrong one in the kit and the list goes on, whereas with ZHL if it is shown you get it, even down to the door hinges, cabin furniture lights, every thing. I dont think I will go back to European or American kits again, anyway thats my bit for the day, got to bite my tongue if you know what I mean,

Thanks for dropping in,

best regards John.

Before you finally fit the bitts, are there any sheaves to go with them? The slots in them appear to be milled out completely so the rigging line will pull up to the top without them. ZHL seem to have paid a lot of attention to detail so I looked at your pictures of the kit contents and the 4th pack of items on the top row of picture 13 looks a possibility.

I agree with Greg, the varnish looks fine.

John

There is something lost when paint goes on fine grain timbers. I think the choice of a wash rather than paint gives that extra bit of texture. Good decision

Cheers
Geoff

John,
I think that the WFzP kit from Euromodels is based on the plans which are attached to Heinrich Winters' book (Risse von Schiffen des sechzenten und siebzehnten Jahrhunderts). The kit looks close to this but apparently they omitted quite a few details which were there on the Winter-drawings. Those drawings are quite good actually. I built my scratch Grosse Jacht on those.
Janos

aew said:
Before you finally fit the bitts, are there any sheaves to go with them? The slots in them appear to be milled out completely so the rigging line will pull up to the top without them. ZHL seem to have paid a lot of attention to detail so I looked at your pictures of the kit contents and the 4th pack of items on the top row of picture 13 looks a possibility.

I agree with Greg, the varnish looks fine.

Thank you Arthur, I'm glad you are still around, the fourth pack on pic 13 is actually the trucks for the cannon,

but in the first and second packs on pic 12, you can just see the sheaves for the gallows and I think it is the fore mast bitts, most the large parts that have sheaves have them included in the kit except for the two large blocks that are for the anchor tackle, it looks like they just milled the blocks and included the sheaves in the milling, but that is something I will have a look at later on, and the smaller blocks also have the sheaves included as part of the milling.

best regards John.

G'day Arthur, its easy to do that, on my Freidrich Wilhelm I fixed in place the knights heads fore and main, then realised I had to run the ropes through them, managed it in the end, a lot of the stuff on the RC is just being test fitted, but thanks for mentioning it, I would rather be told before the fact than after it,

best regards John.

174.jpg
Next up was to work out the angle that the focsle had to be trimmed down to, I clamped the carving that
would be at the top in place, I used the cat timber to obtain the height at the front and I knew that it had to slope down till it just touched the back of the focsle deck, see last pic, I then placed the smaller carving that would run along the top of the varnished planks in place and offered up the carving to make sure it would fit OK

176.jpg
You can just the line that I had to plane down to.

177.jpg
These are the laser cut timbers for the focsle capping rails.

180.jpg
The three timbers provided for in the kit

181.jpg
How the bulwarks looked after being trimmed to size.The building board

Last edited:
184.jpg
Before the focsle deck can be fixed permanently there are a couple of fittings that need to be made up and fixed in place, these are the snatch blocks that the messenger rope runs around when weighing the anchor, the blocks come laser cut and just need a sand down to get rid of the char, you also get the wire and the sheaves.

185.jpg
I wanted to blacken the sheaves and the wire, I use Copper Carbonate and Cloudy Amonia, it clears your sinuses I can tell you that, I usually use a small jar for these small items

188.jpg
The items after being in the jar for approx fifteen minutes, I also had some small brass eye screws that I blackened at the same time. You can see some that are just brass next to the blackened ones.

191.jpg
These are the way I made them with a eyebolt going right through so it can be CA to a location hole in the beck, that way it wont be moving around.

193.jpg
Snatch blocks in place.

197.jpg
Close up.

198.jpg
View looking forward along the deck with the focsle temporarily in place

Last edited:
G'day John
All I can say is you are doing a fantastic job on a incredible kit. :handgestures-salute:
I'm so amazed what you get in the kit and the details are simply stunning. :greetings-clapyellow:
Havagooday tomorrow mate
Greg

I havta agree with you Brian. There are no comparison between ZHL kit's to any other!
May be someone whose name is like the Ozzie expression 'throw away' from the other forum might even get one of these kits.
:banana-rock:
I know I'll be getting one soon, if all goes well.
Havagoodweekend to all.
Greg

Back