ZHL Black Pearl Golden Version by rickyboy66

My brain is tired, so now that I have it figured out I'm going to change horses and start wiring my 22 lights, I have to get that done before I can plank the stern anyway, I'm sure I'm going to find some challenging issues with that too. :)

Are the splotches because of glue? I’d consider scraping the deck. I would definitely not paint with acrylic. Jodie @MystRacing used India Ink to stain. Then he scraped. Maybe I’m confused with someone else. Check his box out, anyway.

I had completely sanded the deck before I tried to stain it and I glued some planks on my practice model and it did the same thing, I also checked out Jodie's build log and didn't see anything concerning India ink anyway I'm kinda at a crossroad as to what to do as you are suggesting not to use the aclyac paint i don't know why I'm getting the uneven stain issue other then the way the beach wood coming out weird and what is the problem with using the aclyac paint as a way to finish the deck, as i see it are to go with another type of wood over the existing deck because i don't think i can remove the one I've already glued in place any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Can anyone tell me why the top back edge of the captain's quarters is raised up like 2mm higher then the 2 adjacent sides might be a stupid question but to me it doesn't seem to make any difference, I looked ahead in my plans and didn't see anything. 20220302_162806.jpg

Can anyone tell me why the top back edge of the captain's quarters is raised up like 2mm higher then the 2 adjacent sides might be a stupid question but to me it doesn't seem to make any difference, I looked ahead in my plans and didn't see anything. View attachment 294256
[/QUOTE]
It looks to me like the 2mm piece on top of the cabin should be on the bottom surface it's used to locate the curved end piece.
20220302_162806~2.jpg
Have a look at my BP log to see how I did mine. Hope this helps.

My plans show on top the one on bottom section is eating the curve of the back window, must be a Chinese thing? I also thought it should have gone on the inside to create a curve for the top of the window 20220302_185247.jpg

Ok after looking at it you were right it should have gone under the top section oh well I didn't realize the red dotted line meant it should go underneath, another lesson learned.

Hey Tony did you see my deck issue, Vic suggested that I shouldn't use acrylic paint on my deck short of tearing my planks off i don't know if I have a choice?

Yep Phil, I see it clear as day now the red dotted line was showing through the part but too late to do anything the window is fine and I'll just add a couple of 2mm strips so everything is at the same height. Thanks for your input.

Hey Tony did you see my deck issue, Vic suggested that I shouldn't use acrylic paint on my deck short of tearing my planks off i don't know if I have a choice?
Looking at the photos It's hard to know what caused the issues. Glue would be the most obvious, something must have contaminated the wood to stop the stain being absorbed evenly. You could try and recreat your deck with some test pieces and staining them exactly as you did on the deck. Once you find the cause you can work on a fix, if you scrape the deck with a razor blade it will give you a better finish. Maybe the timber just doesn't take the stain very well.
I don't like painting over timber I like to see the colour of the wood and the grain.

When I glued the planks down I didn't apply any glue to the sides of the plank to minimize any glue seeping onto the surface of the deck plus I sanded it thoroughly, I also would like to see the grain that's why I stained it to begin with, I will try and do some test pieces but it seems to me that the beach wood just doesn't take the stain like oak or other types. That being said if that is the problem I can't remove the deck I have glued down already so my options would be to put a second planking over the top of the other one, originally I wanted to use oak but couldn't find the right sizes that I needed purchased the beach from woodenmodelshipkits but I also checked other suppliers with no luck.

When I glued the planks down I didn't apply any glue to the sides of the plank to minimize any glue seeping onto the surface of the deck plus I sanded it thoroughly, I also would like to see the grain that's why I stained it to begin with, I will try and do some test pieces but it seems to me that the beach wood just doesn't take the stain like oak or other types. That being said if that is the problem I can't remove the deck I have glued down already so my options would be to put a second planking over the top of the other one, originally I wanted to use oak but couldn't find the right sizes that I needed purchased the beach from woodenmodelshipkits but I also checked other suppliers with no luck.
I would agree with Tony on this one. I have scraped with razor blades and had better results than with sanding. If you use a thin super glue (ca), sometimes the wood will soak it in. Then you’re stuck. If it’s just surface, it should scrape off. If not, plank over. I use a light coat of wood glue for the deck. Even Elmers will do. It’s not going anywhere. Gravity helps.

Thought I would adjust and dry fit the gunwales while I'm figuring out my plan for the second planking of the deck, I did the scraping process and tested some more of the beach wood planks I'm convinced that it's a wood issue so I'm thinking of what use and I was thinking maybe maple so I did some research on it and found out it's one of the hardest woods to get good results because the grain is so tight it doesn't want absorb the stain, since I was wanting to use a lighter color for the deck , do you guys think it would look nice with it's natural color then use some satin urethane to finish. When I was fitting the lower gunports I had to cut more bulkheads to clear for the cannon mounts but came out well.20220304_205357.jpg

Thought I would adjust and dry fit the gunwales while I'm figuring out my plan for the second planking of the deck, I did the scraping process and tested some more of the beach wood planks I'm convinced that it's a wood issue so I'm thinking of what use and I was thinking maybe maple so I did some research on it and found out it's one of the hardest woods to get good results because the grain is so tight it doesn't want absorb the stain, since I was wanting to use a lighter color for the deck , do you guys think it would look nice with it's natural color then use some satin urethane to finish. When I was fitting the lower gunports I had to cut more bulkheads to clear for the cannon mounts but came out well.View attachment 294567
I haven't been using stain on mine, just poly or tung oil. They both darken it a little and provide protection. I think I prefer poly.

Maple should be a nice tight wood. I’ve used teak and walnut. I love teak. Maple is lighter. What ultimate color are you going for on the “Black” Pearl?

If the maple stains well i don't know what the color is called but it's like a golden yellowish i seen it somebody's build log and I really liked it I have black walnut for the hull or if I can, on the ZHL website there are a couple of show models on it and the hull is like brownish gold again I don't know what the color is if anybody knows what the color is called and where i might be able to purchase it from that would be great. If for any reason the maple doesn't stain well I'll just go with the natural look it will still look good. Right now I am wiring the stern unfortunately the wire is so small the 3 lanterns have to be wired completely the bulb and wire are so small i can't leave them long enough to able to insert the bulb up into the lamp because once it's closed up I won't be able to pull the excess wire down into the hull, I'll just have to be careful while I finish the ship.20220305_173117.jpg

Back