ZHL Black Pearl Golden Version by rickyboy66

I guess, I don't see the benefit on the pearl I can just wash the end into the end of the keel or am I missing something? In the picture in my log does it look to high I really can't drop it any lower or I'll loose my straight line along the keel.

Again, different ships are done differently at different times. And different kit manufacturers approach it differently. Some are built with a large, flat deadwood area and some are not.

my pictures suck, I'm going to take a better picture of the garbour plank if I can. View attachment 290244
If I may give a couple of simple suggestions for better pictures. It appears that the main problem is camera shake during exposure. Cell phones are notorious for this due the way one has to press the shutter button on the screen. A couple of tips to help:
1. Use more light on the subject. More light increases the camera's shutter speed so that shake is not so evident.
2. Brace yourself against something to help keep the camera steady. Something like putting your elbows on a table surface (or held against your body) instead held out away from your body.

Thanks Jeff, I'm usually using my tablet so I will try your suggestions I did notice that I need to hold it more steady and the brighter lights will surely help.

Hi Rick if this was a single plank ship you would need to cut a rabbet in the keel ( a angled slot for the planks to fit into ) with a double plank kit it's not really necessary. On my BP the bottom planks finished at the bearding line and sanded flush to the keel.

P1190341.JPG

If you double plank to the end of the keel the thickness will be wrong when the rudder is attached.

P1190359.JPG

The other thing to watch out for is to make sure the frames are faired enough to ensure smooth curves for the hull.

Keeping in mind this is my practice model, at least the 100 dollars I spent is allowing me to practice the planking step hopefully making few mistakes. The picture shows the beard line and end point for the planks but i have another question it appears in both of your plankings your garbour strake is single planks, by the way looks perfect. So I took a couple of pictures on the side where I made the garbour strake those arrows point to a hollowed spot where it looks like my garbour should have come down another plank width about 5mm at that point and at least i can change it when plank the real BP and help would be appreciated. And I know my midship plank needs to be corrected as I am running out of room, good thing I'm on the practice model. 20220214_154008.jpg20220214_153004.jpg

Yeah, I actually dug a little deeper and extended my first planking. I think I was supposed to stop at the last rib/bulkhead. It still worked fine. Most guys only have the top planking over the deadwood. You’re learning fast,there, Ricky Boy!

I'm trying at least I don't have to tackle the BP, as it working out the 100 dollars i paid for the first model was a blessing in disguise. Talking to Tony when you have a double plank model you can pretty much stop it at the last rib and blend it flush to the keel. Thanks for your input and positive response.

If I may give a couple of simple suggestions for better pictures. It appears that the main problem is camera shake during exposure. Cell phones are notorious for this due the way one has to press the shutter button on the screen. A couple of tips to help:
1. Use more light on the subject. More light increases the camera's shutter speed so that shake is not so evident.
2. Brace yourself against something to help keep the camera steady. Something like putting your elbows on a table surface (or held against your body) instead held out away from your body.
Another suggestion that works for my phone. When taking closeups of small items my phone often won't get a good focus. I've found that if I move away a foot or two then zoom in it looks better. Also helps with the lighting-less shadow because I'm not blocking the light as much.

Getting most of first planking done on the practice model , so meanwhile I made a little jig for the lower cannon supports not exactly rocket science as long as i keep them square to world.20220215_173542.jpg20220215_173508.jpg

If my work shop looks weird that's because it's in my living room of my apartment. A lot of yours blow me away with all your tools and machines.

Well we are in the same boat......................really did i just say that lol, have good night. I guess for my first planking I've got a little filling to to do it came out ok.20220215_235626.jpg

If I'm going to stain my deck and my hull should I stain it before I glue it down or after, I thought I read something to do with the glue but don't remember what it was, sure would be a lot easier after I glued it down.

I was using a lot of different stains the beach wood i stained from natural the black walnut came with the kit it just needed something to look brighter, using the beach on the deck black walnut on the hull. Any comments? Wanted the deck color to be like a gold color like I seen on someone's log it looked really nice after the varathane. It was very hard to match. I ended up with colonial maple, any suggestions. 20220218_180032.jpg

I was using a lot of different stains the beach wood i stained from natural the black walnut came with the kit it just needed something to look brighter, using the beach on the deck black walnut on the hull. Any comments? Wanted the deck color to be like a gold color like I seen on someone's log it looked really nice after the varathane. It was very hard to match. I ended up with colonial maple, any suggestions. View attachment 291884
You’ll just have to experiment like we all do till you get the look you want. I usually just use polyurethane to enhance the natural color. I sand off any glue before staining or using poly. But if you use CA or super glue, it sometimes soaked into the wood. On this latest ship, I coated it with a thin coat of colored putty that was close in color to my wood. It filled in any cracks and the little holes I had drilled to simulate treenails. I sanded again and applied the finish. I was pleased with the results. There is no real right way. Experiment! See what you like! It’s always builder’s choice, anyway. I learn by doing. You’re doing fine. Enjoy the experience.

Back